autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Window tinting question

Ok, window tinting can help keep the car cooler in the sun as well as keep prying eyes from seeing into the car. But here's the question. I have some small cataracts in both eyes and when driving at night, though I can see well (with my glasses) I have trouble with oncoming headlights affecting my vision. My friend (that's one opinion) said that tinting helped helped him with the headlight glare. Have others here had the same experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Window tinting question

I've not found window tinting to change the way headlights appear at night, whether I'm wearing my contacts or my glasses.

If a window tint job is done right it shouldn't distort or change the clarity of the glass just the amount of light which passes through. Also, due to state laws most window tint jobs wouldn't include the windshield, so it won't help your oncoming traffic problem.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've not found window tinting to change the way headlights appear at night, whether I'm wearing my contacts or my glasses.

If a window tint job is done right it shouldn't distort or change the clarity of the glass just the amount of light which passes through. Also, due to state laws most window tint jobs wouldn't include the windshield, so it won't help your oncoming traffic problem.
    Thanks, I will check the tint laws here in NJ, but I should have been more specific. To those drivers who have problems with oncoming headlight glare (I would think cataracts) did having tint placed on the windshield help or not.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post

Thanks, I will check the tint laws here in NJ, but I should have been more specific.

Interested to hear what you find out. I think New Jersey tends to be tougher on all aspects of law, not looser. But I could be wrong, I've only been to your state twice. Once passing through and the other teaching a great roadshow class.

Pictures & Comments - 2018 New Jersey Roadshow Detailing Class

Please post a follow-up.

5. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this will help you, but I have seen Driving Glasses that are designed for night driving that supposedly cut glare. That might be an easier and less expensive option rather than windshield tinting.

Although I know there are many Ceramic Type Tints today that barely have any tint to them, do reduce heat and UV, and might be suitable for a Windshield, I'd still wish the greatest clarity and seeing distance though a windshield at night due to safety concerns.

7. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Interested to hear what you find out. I think New Jersey tends to be tougher on all aspects of law, not looser. But I could be wrong, I've only been to your state twice. Once passing through and the other teaching a great roadshow class.

Pictures & Comments - 2018 New Jersey Roadshow Detailing Class

Please post a follow-up.

I just spoke to a tint shop and yep, it's a ticketable offense in NJ. But tinting does not affect the car's ability to pass inspection. Looking at so many tinted cars, it seems not to be enforced, particularly if the tint is not a really dark shade. My question would be how do they reconcile all the cars (and it seems most are nowadays) having some tints already applied by the manufacturer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Not sure if this will help you, but I have seen Driving Glasses that are designed for night driving that supposedly cut glare. That might be an easier and less expensive option rather than windshield tinting.

Although I know there are many Ceramic Type Tints today that barely have any tint to them, do reduce heat and UV, and might be suitable for a Windshield, I'd still wish the greatest clarity and seeing distance though a windshield at night due to safety concerns.
    Thanks Mark,

I have a pair of prescription glasses - kinda tinted a light yellow, that are supposed to help with glare. But it simply hasn't worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield tint is illegal in MN, so I haven’t been in a lot of cars that have it (I do car fixing for a living, so I’m in quite a few cars a year); the ones that I have been in it’s not uncommon for there to be a disturbance in the clarity of the windshield. Enough that I don’t know that I’d want if in my own car despite the potential benefits.

If you do decide to go for it, it’s my understanding here that as long as you have a letter from your Dr you can have tint darker than the legal limit or have your windshield tinted.

11. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Windshield tint is illegal in MN, so I haven’t been in a lot of cars that have it (I do car fixing for a living, so I’m in quite a few cars a year); the ones that I have been in it’s not uncommon for there to be a disturbance in the clarity of the windshield. Enough that I don’t know that I’d want if in my own car despite the potential benefits.

If you do decide to go for it, it’s my understanding here that as long as you have a letter from your Dr you can have tint darker than the legal limit or have your windshield tinted.
    Thanks - that's good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I just spoke to a tint shop and yep, it's a ticketable offense in NJ. But tinting does not affect the car's ability to pass inspection. Looking at so many tinted cars, it seems not to be enforced, particularly if the tint is not a really dark shade. My question would be how do they reconcile all the cars (and it seems most are nowadays) having some tints already applied by the manufacturer?
    Most states like mine do not/can't enforce a tint if it is OEM and "baked" into the glass. Also, most OEM tint doesn't go below what the most restrictive states allow, which I believe is around 30% tint. The Illinois vehicle code used to specifically state OEM tint's got a pass. This was especially true when they did not allow tint on the windshield OR the front passenger windows, but OEM's did sometimes tint the front passenger windows. The law changed back around 2013 to allow front passenger windows, but windshields are still a no-go.

Even with vehicles having an OEM tint to the glass, they don't tint the windshield. Many/most do have some sort of a UV coating on the glass to cut down on heat, which might include a slight pigment, but it will be similar to the clear ceramic tint already mentioned.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast