autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Cringe worthy Detailing Techniques

Comet on tires for making those raised white letters pop!!

2. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I remember using Comet on my white walls. It did get them white.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this a few times before, but back in the late 60's and early 70's, these techniques were commonplace and accepted. Washing consisted of one bucket with Dupont No. 7 soap powder from the silver can and a sponge or a car washing brush. Drying the car was with soft bath towels hopefully in the shade. Tires were cleaned with Comet cleanser and a scrub brush. White walls were cleaned with Brillo or SOS pads. Once the tires were cleaned, they were dressed with Lemon Pledge. The interior was cleaned with Formula 409 and dressed with Lemon Pledge. Once Armor All came out, we Armor All'd the crap out of the dash. Windows were cleaned with Windex and coarse paper towels. Chrome was polished with an old washcloth and Dupont Chrome Polish.
    The paint was polished by hand with Dupont Polishing Compound and removed with an old bath towel. The paint was then treated with a wax and that wax would be applied with a foam applicator and removed with an old bath towel. That bath towel was not turned frequently. The wax was usually Kit, Rally, Turtle Wax with Brillium or Rain Dance.
    My grandma always wondered what happened to her Lemon Pledge, SOS pads and bath towels.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    by me bringing up the newspaper and you acknowledging it... we both gave away our age. LOL

I remember watching my dad waxed his car with a wax that came in a tin canister. He used his lighter to liquified the wax to make it easier to apply. That stuff was so hard to remove.
    LOL I am old and remember my dad and I use news paper to clean glass....the funny thing it worked...also using simoniz wax....

Post Thanks / Like

Waxing the car with Turtle Wax and driving around all day with wax still on the car while it "cures".
    Must have been fun removing that !

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

8. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I posted this a few times before, but back in the late 60's and early 70's, these techniques were commonplace and accepted. Washing consisted of one bucket with Dupont No. 7 soap powder from the silver can and a sponge or a car washing brush. Drying the car was with soft bath towels hopefully in the shade. Tires were cleaned with Comet cleanser and a scrub brush. White walls were cleaned with Brillo or SOS pads. Once the tires were cleaned, they were dressed with Lemon Pledge. The interior was cleaned with Formula 409 and dressed with Lemon Pledge. Once Armor All came out, we Armor All'd the crap out of the dash. Windows were cleaned with Windex and coarse paper towels. Chrome was polished with an old washcloth and Dupont Chrome Polish.
    The paint was polished by hand with Dupont Polishing Compound and removed with an old bath towel. The paint was then treated with a wax and that wax would be applied with a foam applicator and removed with an old bath towel. That bath towel was not turned frequently. The wax was usually Kit, Rally, Turtle Wax with Brillium or Rain Dance.
    My grandma always wondered what happened to her Lemon Pledge, SOS pads and bath towels.
    Funny you mentioned the chrome...forgot all about that....old washcloths and Noxon in the shiny green can. You can still buy it today, although I doubt the formula is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    i remember those days

Post Thanks / Like

I remember using original Bleache-White in that horribly designed sprayer, who's with meOld Cringe worthy Detailing Techniques

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

12. Likes MadMerc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach-White was a step up from Comet and Brillo
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember washing an old White Toyota/Honda can't remember exactly I was very young but we used AJAX and the bluer it got the cleaner the paint got. Old Cringe worthy Detailing TechniquesOld Cringe worthy Detailing Techniques

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast