autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tire Chains?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Chains?

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4. The manual says not to use tire chains. In looking at the clearance of the rear wheel tires I don't see what damage would be done by using a set of chains. I go to Tahoe and the snow snow can be deep and the roads steep. Any suggestions? Anyone use chains?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Chains?

I've never used tire chains, and I have driven in some very deep snow and slick/icy conditions.

Just make sure you are running the appropriate tires for the conditions you are driving in, and take all the necessary precautions while driving.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: The Owner’s Manual/Tire Chains

•Two possibilities come to mind:
    1.) When 4-Wheel drive is engaged, GM’s
    engineers may want chains on all 4 tires?
    {How many folks carry two sets of chains}

Which leads to:
    2.) GM’s way of protecting themselves from
    potential warranty work...and/or lawsuits.

•IMO:
    -As to truckin’ in and around Tahoe;
    and the roads are covered in snow:
    ’If the chains fit, you must equip’!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the truck new. It had most anything I wanted except good shoes. But the price was right. It came with Goodyear Eagle SL-2 tires. For highway driving they work great. IMHO, doesn't look like a good tread pattern for snow. Two years ago roads were cleared the times I went. Last year didn't make it because of Covid. Planning a February trip now and wondering about traction. I could always drop air pressure by a dozen pounds, but I'm still not sure about these tires. I'd just feel better with a safety net and not have to store an extra set of tires for the few trips I make a year. Goodyear Eagle LS2 Review - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely need tire chains if you are driving around Lake Tahoe. There are signs all over the place stating that you need them. The California side of the lake especially near Emerald Bay has some treacherous roads even in the best of conditions. For a 4X4 you will need chains on all 4 wheels.
    I actually installed tire chains on my snowblower and it is easier to install them if you slightly deflate the tires. Then reinflate to the proper pressure once the chains are installed. Enjoy Tahoe and Squaw Valley. Have a Wet Woody at Garwoods.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a house in South Tahoe. I'll be taking 50. I don't believe you can rent anything under the current restrictions. Emerald bay is in one county, and the Cal trans equipment for that county can't clear the roads and the other county puts emerald Bay at the bottom of their priorities. So the west road can stay closed for many days. A majority of the time it isn't that treacherous, but there are times it's a wild trip. I prefer putting chains on the front. The weight of the engine over the tires and the steering tires pulling me in the direction I want to go feels much more secure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    RE: The Owner’s Manual/Tire Chains

•Two possibilities come to mind:
    1.) When 4-Wheel drive is engaged, GM’s
    engineers may want chains on all 4 tires?
    {How many folks carry two sets of chains}

Which leads to:
    2.) GM’s way of protecting themselves from
    potential warranty work...and/or lawsuits.

•IMO:
    -As to truckin’ in and around Tahoe;
    and the roads are covered in snow:
    ’If the chains fit, you must equip’!

Bob
    I agree with this and in fact regardless of the brand vehicle, chains should be installed on all drive wheels, so 4x4 should have 2-sets on hand and in the Lake Tahoe area you definitely want to have chains available.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djhassey View Post
    I have a house in South Tahoe. I'll be taking 50. I don't believe you can rent anything under the current restrictions. Emerald bay is in one county, and the Cal trans equipment for that county can't clear the roads and the other county puts emerald Bay at the bottom of their priorities. So the west road can stay closed for many days. A majority of the time it isn't that treacherous, but there are times it's a wild trip. I prefer putting chains on the front. The weight of the engine over the tires and the steering tires pulling me in the direction I want to go feels much more secure.
    I would love to have a house in Tahoe. Are you near the Tahoe Keys? We rent a house every year in Carnelian Bay. We can see Garwoods from the deck. That road near Emerald Bay can be treacherous in the summer time when you hit that sharp curve at the very same time when a truck and travel trailer are coming the other way.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not much. It's south of South Tahoe towards Kirkwood.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll go with these. They meet class S and it seems like they are a little beefier than the cables class S chains. https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-0232...ve&sr=1-2&th=1