autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Milky staining on rims?? How bad is this?

So I picked up these rims recently for a good price....but I failed to notice these stains on the wheels. They were pretty dirty so that probably covered it up. These stains are consistent on all 4 wheels unfortunately.

Used Griots heavy duty wheel cleaner, cleaned most of the tar in the wheel wells (they were filthy), but was left with the faces having some 'milky' stains on the spokes. I tried compounding by hand with a MF towel w/ Sonax Max Cut. It didn't do a thing!

So....I thought why not post pics here for some answers? LOL

My only fear is the wheels are too messed up.

Anyone seen this before? It looks like the past owner used something like acid that atee through the finish is what I was thinking...granted these wheels aren't in the best shape. I am just bummed I couldn't do more to 'bring them back' some....

I think these were his 'winter wheels' too..so maybe the stuff they put on the road?

Pics:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Milky staining on rims?? How bad is this?

Not sure what that is....either something they picked up on the road or damage caused by an acid wheel cleaner would be my guess. Did those wheel come off of a Mercedes? If you got them cheap enough, there are places that refinish wheels....I've seen them do some amazing things.

Post Thanks / Like

It's more than likely from someone using harsh wheel cleaner on it when the wheels were hot and let it sit on too long, I've seen it before just like that.

I would use a compound and then polish...use a powerball I don't think hand buffing will cut it.

On another note, are those S4 wheels? I had a 2013.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post
    It's more than likely from someone using harsh wheel cleaner on it when the wheels were hot and let it sit on too long, I've seen it before just like that.

I would use a compound and then polish...use a powerball I don't think hand buffing will cut it.

On another note, are those S4 wheels? I had a 2013.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Acid js what I was thinking too.

I do have a powerball laying around somewhere for when I had aluminum polished lipped wheels for an older Mercedes Benz I had years ago...

I also have GG6 that I could put the 3 inch pad adapter on to try that out...is that any beter you think?

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Not sure what that is....either something they picked up on the road or damage caused by an acid wheel cleaner would be my guess. Did those wheel come off of a Mercedes? If you got them cheap enough, there are places that refinish wheels....I've seen them do some amazing things.
    Came off an Audi. These are Audi S5 wheels.

Refinishing would be nice...but for the amount I paid...probably not the best option as it would have me in the hole...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post

Came off an Audi. These are Audi S5 wheels.
    Affectionately known as peelers because the spokes resemble a potato peeler.

Yeah, I'm an Audi geek.
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
    Affectionately known as peelers because the spokes resemble a potato peeler.

Yeah, I'm an Audi geek.
    Haha. You got it! Peelers for sure!

7. Likes dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post

Agree. I think it is something like a very strong wheel cleaner which ate away the finish or at least etched it pretty bad. I have a feeling a previous owner let the wheels get really bad, nuked them with a really strong cleaner which did the damage, and then they let them get really dirty again.

Does it feel rough to the touch? You can try to polish them out like with a Powerball, but if the clearcoat and possibly the paint underneath are etched, you won't be able to get them looking much better.

Might be time to get them powder coated.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for that. Yea--the stains don't feel rough. Clear is still there. It's just damn hard lol. May even try wet sanding. We'll see. Powerball first with Sonax Max cut.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Matador;1699459]Acid js what I was thinking too.

I do have a powerball laying around somewhere for when I had aluminum polished lipped wheels for an older Mercedes Benz I had years ago...

I also have GG6 that I could put the 3 inch pad adapter on to try that out...is that any beter you think?

I don't think a 3" pad will do much good. Obviously you don't have a 1", so the next best thing is a power cone. Last resort would be your fingers.

Do a test spot with a mf wrapped around your fingers and a light compound..if that doesn't do anything you will just have to live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these OEM Audi wheels or replica Audi Wheels?

I see what looks like chemical stains, but it also looks like the Hyper Silver top layer is wearing off and you can slightly see the Black finish underneath on the sides of the spokes. If you've already tried cleaning them and compounding them and didn't help than I would say get them powder coated.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast