autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How is everyone staying sane during well... 2020 ?

As the Pandemic crises escalated in Australia back in March, I was sent on enforced leave for 6 weeks. I am very much not the type of person to sit idle, so I just kept myself busy.

I run a small gardening business on the side, being a sole trader meant that I could continue to work by myself. I was able to spread jobs across the week as opposed to squeezing it all into two days. I made sure to take a longer than usual walk with my dog every day. I also took on several car detailing projects, some were my own cars and others via my gardening contacts. I also did some work for my father’s construction manufacturing firm, learning how to read and estimate building plans.

My main job is in a retail Nursery. As I returned to work, my industry was and still is one that has boomed during the Pandemic. Winter is usually our quietest months; this year Winter traded like Spring and Spring has been off the scale as people looked to gardening to stay active and engaged. Being so busy has been a tough for a person who likes to complete tasks in a calm and methodical manner and dealing with a constant stream of customers all day who may or may not be potentially exposing me to the virus. Management has not been very supportive during this time, leaving employees to fend for themselves, too busy to inform us or make sure we are doing ok.

I’m surprised by resilience this year, I adapted when required, diversifying my skills and refocusing my energy towards projects that would distract me from the anxiety and fear. But I’m also feeling fatigued and feel like there is no end in sight in regard to both the Pandemic and my workload, let alone the prospect of having some time off to regroup.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, BillE, Craig Encinitas, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited my old workplace last week, while the office staff come into the office once or twice a week, the warehouse guys have to show up every day, they were offered 9 day fortnights, but that got dropped when 1 of the 3 guys left. My role was Warehouse Supervisor, they replaced me with a team leader for less money, and they're expecting him to do more than I did. I told him as long as you keep doing it, they'll keep letting you. Management will always take advantage where they can. But on the plus side, he hasn't taken a sick day since I left.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

•What’s your definition of “sane”?

-According to quite a few folks, I might not
    have been considered “sane” before 2020;
    let alone during 2020, for that matter.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Likes PaulMys, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I was fortunate to retire early 5 years ago so the work “thing”was already in my past. I live in two zip codes, one warm, one cold. Moving back and forth every 6 months keeps things fresh with new projects.
    With restaurants being closed I’ve lost 25 lbs but eating healthy. Meeting friends in parks for picnics is the new norm here.
    Garage therapy is on going!
    So, the big question, did you get to enjoy our early snow storm in MN yesterday, or are you enjoying the warm weather of AZ?
    It really messed up my plans for vehicle storage this year. I'm supposed to bring my Mustang up to my in-laws place in Duluth this weekend, but they're in for a snow storm tomorrow. I'm not going to try to drive that car on snow covered roads again (with summer tires at least).

Staying sane has been difficult with 2 kids being home schooled this year.
    My sanity comes from dinking around with vehicles. Mustang (repairs/mods/cleaning/driving it), Golf R (keeping it clean and some maintenance), Explorer (few repairs, cleaning, maintenance), Motorcycle (filling it with gas and riding to work).
    I've been working from home since 2nd week in March. I've gone into the office about once a week starting around mid-July to get some work done, get away for a short amount of time and to rack up some miles on my vehicles.
    I've put a lot of miles on Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2 for PS4 (with a newer FF steering wheel and pedals).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    So, the big question, did you get to enjoy our early snow storm in MN yesterday, or are you enjoying the warm weather of AZ?
    It really messed up my plans for vehicle storage this year. I'm supposed to bring my Mustang up to my in-laws place in Duluth this weekend, but they're in for a snow storm tomorrow. I'm not going to try to drive that car on snow covered roads again (with summer tires at least).
    Same here lol. Im in White Bear but store my Trans Am in Hastings. I run a slick on the street so that does not really mix with rain let alone snow!

Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

8. Likes PaulMys, Odrapnew, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 has actually been busy, work-wise. I don't do the manufacturing gig anymore, I lead problem-solving activities and teach Six Sigma, Shainin Red X, and PFMEA classes/seminars. And the assembly plants seem to be having more problems than ever, due to disruptions, supply issues, methods changes because of COVID precautions, and a lot more temps filling in, plus a couple troublesome new model startups. Biggest difference for me though is I am not flying to locations, told the big boss I am not getting on a plane without a Level A hazmat suit.

At home we have kept busy by having a bigger garden than ever and now have the freezers and pantry packed for winter and any craziness that may lie ahead. Also spent a lot of weekend time up at the lake cabin and have a big supply of walleye and yellow perch frozen away, it was a really good year for both. Luckily the wife likes to fish !

Socially it's been tough as the things we like to do have all been shut down ... movies, plays, concerts/live music, festivals. We've never been ones to dine out a lot, so haven't missed that and have done more cooking as a together activity. And since we're at home more, that gave me an excuse to upgrade my A/V as I have a huge movie collection - you think detailing can be an expensive hobby, Blu-rays and 4K's and all the equipment can burn a hole in your pocket real quick too !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    And since we're at home more, that gave me an excuse to upgrade my A/V as I have a huge movie collection - you think detailing can be an expensive hobby, Blu-rays and 4K's and all the equipment can burn a hole in your pocket real quick too !
    I got to set up a media room in our new house we moved into at the beginning of the year. We have over a thousand DVDs, and a couple of hundred Blu-rays, not to mention all the online contenr, and sometimes I can't decide what to watch, too many choices. I end up watching whatever was on free to air TV, even if I have it on Blu-ray. Last night was Batman v Superman, and I just watched it with all the ads.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12