autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

This trip had evolved into more than running the Dragon, the Dragon is the most popular road but there are SOOOO many other roads, even in the general vincinity like Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiners, Foothills Parkway with its recent extension and lesser known ones like route 72 to 411 to 360 into Tellico Plains where the Cherahola Skyway starts.

My buddy Josh (TNcoupe here on AG) has shown me about 4 other routes near his house but they take you far away and its never boring!! These have WAAAAAY less traffic and tourists like the actual Dragon had, that's for sure.

I got down there early on Wed, before Josh got home from work, so I decided to make a single pass through the Dragon and on into the Cherahola Skyway. Along the way I spotted a 992 in Miami Blue with, get this RED interiorPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon! Now I LOVE red interior but NOT in THAT exterior color. I even showed the owner a little "easter egg" on his car. Over the engine cover there's slots...9 on the left, 9 on the right and 2 in the middle as the third brake light...9 9 2, yeah, I'm a Porsche geekPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon! I also spotted an Aston Martin with its sexy arse!!

Thursday started with a great breakfast and a good carwash on the ES. Then we made our way to Cherahola Skyway and actually hit the Dragon H A R D...I mean early stages of brake fade hardPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon! What was funny was there was an EcoSport infront of us driving the tires off of it but before long the smell of burnt brakes filled our cabins and he had to pull over and let us go, both the brakes on my buddy's N as well as my ES were also getting "a little hott" but by that time we were at the end of the TOTD and let them cool down naturally. Next was the Foothills Parkway...OMG the views AND the road! This is a must do, especially since there's now a 16 mile extension on it N of 321...DO IT!

Friday had us going on a new route, a route that took the longest, round about way to Chattanooga for some BBQ, big surprise, LOL. There were 2 sections very close to the Dragon and 1 uphill hairpin turn....FUN! The BBQ...OMG, I died and went to heavenPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Saturday was more about hangin' out at Josh's house. We washed his wife's Explorer, ran out to Mexiwings for grub to watch the Vols and Mizzou. Then went to Champy's for fried chicken and then a historic civil war tour, Josh is quite the history buff, very cool.

I drove home early on Sunday and looking forward to next year where I'm hoping to get a buddy who's never been down with us...stay "tuned"Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Enjoy the pics, ask questions, share them...whateverPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Food pics in the 2nd post...don't drool on your keypad!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Food, history and the ES back home and cleaned completely this morning! Also, other random pics....enjoy!

3. Thanks TNcoupe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That cannon pic needs to be your Tinder profile pic.

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great trip. How was the traffic on the Dragon itself?

I've been looking at doing a trip to the area to relax in the hills around that area and spend some time on the fantastic roads it has to offer. I'm not too hung up on driving the dragon itself, but if I'm in the area I'd like to simply to say, "been there, done that". However, I won't even bother if it's clogged up with RV's and slow moving packs of Harley's. I'm sure timing is key to avoiding the worst congestion.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, I think it’s awesome this is an annual trip for you and I assume TNcoupe.

What’d you think of the C8 in person? Can’t believe you got in it!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

9. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Looks like a great trip. How was the traffic on the Dragon itself?

I've been looking at doing a trip to the area to relax in the hills around that area and spend some time on the fantastic roads it has to offer. I'm not too hung up on driving the dragon itself, but if I'm in the area I'd like to simply to say, "been there, done that". However, I won't even bother if it's clogged up with RV's and slow moving packs of Harley's. I'm sure timing is key to avoiding the worst congestion.
    Well. If you like taking turns the Dragon is a MUST! Timing is key and here's a top tip...avoid Sat and Sun afternoons! I will say Josh and I were very lucky to have a hot lap out there because the cops have been out there zappin' people even during the week. That said, you can drive the road like a sane person and still enjoy it since it would be your first time, pretend Grandma and Grandpa are in the car, well unless your Grandma is Michele Mouton and your Grandpa is Walter RoehlPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

The road right next to Deal's Gap, the official beginning of the TOTD, is a great road with very technical turns, even better scenery and leads you to the Fontana Dam, the largest Dam E of the Mississippi River! You can drive to the base of it and then up to the top of it, get out and check it out. Its 485 ft high and it's amazing to think this was made by men a very long time agoPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

11. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing, I think it’s awesome this is an annual trip for you and I assume TNcoupe.

What’d you think of the C8 in person? Can’t believe you got in it!
    The C8 inperson....FUGLY still, especially 3/4 rear and that rearend...eeeeek! The front I could live with, I guess but a car like that shouldn't have me muttering "I could live with it". There's not a single thing I like about the car. I had one pass me on the way down, same color as a highlighter....eeeek. Then a camo wrapped one with bronze wheels passed me at the clearing aka end of the Dragon....Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon! and I saw a red one on the way home...doesn't move the meter on me one bit.

TNcoupe lives down there, so it's no big deal to him, I'm sure he likes his local roads and the ones he's found much betterPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well. If you like taking turns the Dragon is a MUST! Timing is key and here's a top tip...avoid Sat and Sun afternoons!
    I absolutely love hitting the twisty back roads. I've spent many evenings with Google Maps looking at the roads in the area of the Dragon. It looks like a paved playground for those of us who love to drive. I'll avoid traffic at all costs. Too many trips to great roads near me have been ruined by slow moving vehicles.

The road right next to Deal's Gap, the official beginning of the TOTD, is a great road with very technical turns, even better scenery and leads you to the Fontana Dam, the largest Dam E of the Mississippi River! You can drive to the base of it and then up to the top of it, get out and check it out. Its 485 ft high and it's amazing to think this was made by men a very long time agoPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!
    I'll happily avoid all the tourists and traffic of more popular areas for great scenery and other sites/landmarks. This is great info.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to get a group of AG'ers out there and based on the vibe I get from everyone here over the years it would not include "alpha dogs", I've had my issues with them in other runs I've organized in the past, it's a very hard NO for me

I'll start an "interest thread" in January and see where it goesPics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!Pics and stories from my 17th annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

16. Likes Coatingsarecrack, MadMerc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another year, another awesome story and round of pics, Rog!!

Man, that looks SOOOO cool!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

18. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast