autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Portable generators

My old piece-meal 70's-era generator is just too much work to keep running now. Parts are nonexistent, and I'm tired of fabricating/adapting.

I know what you're thinking, but it was my father's who passed away in 1999. So yeah, it had sentimental value. We lost power for about 90 minutes last week (drunk idiot hit a utility pole), and it took me 10 damn minutes to get the old dinosaur running. (Tecumseh HS50 engine with the most finicky carburetor known to man).

I have been doing some research, but wanted to ask my AGO boys what they have found to be reliable.

We do not lose power here very often, but I believe that may change seeing all of the hurricane activity this year.

Just looking for a portable unit around 4500-6000 watts that can be manual transfer switch adaptable.

What do you guys have?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portable generators

living in SW Louisiana, and traveling for work (living in a travel trailer)...here is my suggestion.

i was going to purchase the Honda EU3000, it is $2K roughly...BUT 2 honda 2200's are $2K when bought as a pair...using their companion cord, you can get 4400 watts.

this said, you do have 2 unit, but considerably smaller and more portable...if ever needed, one will do good work for a weekend warrior.

just food for thought.

generally the 4K series and up become rather bulky and hard to store. Higher price initially. going with the 2 smaller unit, leaves some room for an out if needed...just sell one (people are always looking for these honda units), there are quiet.

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portable generators

Another vote for the Honda units. My (across street) Master Electrician neighbor has a EU3000, and it ran quietly for a week after a hurricane a few years ago. He has a direct plugin, but no transfer switch - he just used the electrical panel switches to run fridge, some outlets, but no A/C.

The next door neighbor had a cheaper unit (from DIY/Farm/HF store) that ran noisily for the same week, but since we were close, we ran cords to our house for 1 fridge at a time and a fan, and pitched in for gas & refill duty. We had to sleep in the bedroom on the opposite end of the house due to the noise.

My mother-in-law has a whole house Generac (she is on a gas line), and ran everything (including A/C) for that time. BUT her gas bill was over $300 for the week.