autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Got You Into Detailing Cars?

I started doing bodywork and painting cars when I was about 15 (1968). Obviously I wasn't very good at the beginning. But to this day, every time I do something I try to do it better than the time before. That's my nature.

Back in those days we had gravel for compounds, wool pads, fifteen lb., 2500 RPM, single-speed rotary polishers and the finest sandpaper available was 600 grit. Times have certainly changed.

I got pretty good pretty fast. In my early twenties I was painting "Best in Show" winners. I know a lot of you "Detailer" guys don't hold "Body Shop Detailers" in the highest regards but they are definitely not all the same. When you are turning out "Best in Show" paint jobs you certainly better know a little about polishing.

Anyways, although I've never done detailing exclusively as a profession, detailing was always a part of what I did for many, many years and my start came from my painting days.

2. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 1968 I moved in with my grandma and grandpa when I was 5. He was German and Austrian and I called him opa. He had a 1966 white Chevy Impala that he liked to keep clean. I wanted to do whatever he did so I also wanted to keep the car clean. We used Dupont No.7 car wash powder in the silver can, a sea sponge, old bath towels and Turtle Wax with Brillium. Once in a while we would use Dupont rubbing compound or polishing compound. The white walls on the tires were cleaned with Brillo or SOS pads. Pledge furniture polish kept the tires shiny as well as the dashboard.
    From that point on I always had a passion for shiny cars. There were some years where I did not exercise that passion due to life getting in the way. Work, college, marriage, house renovations (all at the same time), took time away from proper vehicle care. Now I spend almost every day trying to do something detailing related even if it is just talking to you guys. Thanks for being here.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It all started for me the minute I drove my factory ordered Ram off of the lot.

In my teens & 20's, I had old beaters that I had to replace engines/transmissions in. I enjoyed that back then, and certainly didn't even think about paint care.

In my 30's, I had mainly used trucks that I kept "washed".

The minute I drove the Ram off of the lot, I knew something was different. I was in love with this truck, and I knew I wanted to take the best care of it.

I had joined a Ram forum about 3 weeks before the truck arrived at the dealer, and had asked a few basic questions about detailing. One guy on there recommended Autogeek.

I spent about a year just reading on products in the store, and lurking here on the forum. I was reluctant to join AGO, because my other forum experiences were horrible. (That Ram forum was the worst).

But, I took the plunge and found that this forum is head and shoulders above the rest. Many people reached out to me with advice, PM's, and answers to my newbie questions. HUGE thanks to Mark (custmprty) and Ron (ronkh57). Rest in peace, Ron. These two men went above & beyond and made me feel comfortable asking newbie question after newbie question.

So, long story short....... The purchase of my truck and the incredible people on this forum got me into detailing.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks luckycarretera thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy, Eldorado2k, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up watching my brothers’ cars and how they loved them. I’d also watch my brother in law wash his Cadillac. When I got my first car, I’d keep it clean even in the winters in St Louis, Mo. I recall going to the self serve wash bays (they were heated) and cleaning my Buick Skylark. Kept that passion all the way through an early retirement in 2013. I found myself drawn to detail videos and instructions (I don’t recall how I found the sites nor what I was looking for). I’d watch Junkman, Darren, Ammo NYC, Joe at Next Level Detail, etc so much that my wife thought I was having an affair on my iPad as I was on it daily at night. I asked my wife for a GG6 for my birthday in April 2014. She got it for me and I didn’t use it til I learned how to. Anyway, I fell upon Auto Geek and saw the detail camp given by Mike P. I started looking at other detail instructors but kept coming back to Autogeek Detail camp. Mike P had a class in Sept 2014 and I wrote Mike on a whim to see if the class had any openings. He responded immediately that if I signed up and paid that day, I could attend (the class was being held within a week). I told my wife about the class and she didn’t think I was serious. I went and after attending, I learned tons but it also confirmed my love for detailing. I used what I learned, kept researching and bought my products, designed my website, got my biz cards printed and the rest is history. I’m 63yrs old and love detailing.

8. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the time, believe it or not, it was Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. A friend of my girlfriends waxed his Black GTI with it, and he kept the paint pretty clean and I was like woah damn what did he do to that thing. I started off with youtube videos from Chemical Guys, eventually found videos on all the chemical guys products then found this forum. At around the same time, I was looking at a new car and I thought all the swirls on a car meant a repaint. I was like damn all these cars need repaints whats going on. Found this forum after a month or so reading the Meguiar's forum and off I go.

Went to Canadian Tire (Canadian version of auto zone) and picked up Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. At the time, it was one of the best ones I found that was also commonly available. I hand rubbed my new car with Mothers Pure Polish then applied the Ultimate Paste Wax. Before all of that, all I did was use Mothers interior detailer and protectant on the black vinyl of the car and kept the inside looking quite good. But at the same time, I was still taking my old car through the brush washes. Then after reading more and more, I found an auto-geek reseller in Canada, ordered a whooole bunch of stuff, more than I should've. Eventually I would buy one thing every week or so just to test it out. I threw out a lot, and kept a lot and gave a lot to friends. Then one day out of the blue, I just polished and coated my car. It took me a 20 hour day to do all of that, and I figured there had to be an easier way to polish cars?

Then research research research. Loved 205, but the dust killed me. Tried out CarPro fixer and reflect, dusted too much as well. Tried different pads, different polishes, etc, then dialed everything in. DId a few friends cars here and there. Bought a second car, more stuff to test. For my own needs, I've basically dialed it down to a few products that I HAVE to have and a few others that are nice but only needed when its full detail time. My dads car is a constant test in progress of different things.

What got me down the rabbit hole of researching products was actually Larry from AMMO NYC. It was actually a disagreement I had with his theory that lead me down, because some things didn't make sense although I see what he was talking about, I just didn't agree with him.

I also found myself sitting in my garage, and having a cigar and staring at the polished and coated paint of my cars. I unno, that's gotta be a mental illness right?
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

10. Likes luckycarretera liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    At the time, believe it or not, it was Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax.
    You’re Fired! Lol. J/kWhat Got You Into Detailing Cars?

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahahahah I should've known better. Don't get me wrong, the stuff looks amazing and is a pure show car wax. Lasts about a week or so, but during that week that paint looks wetter than a lake.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Souveran
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Ahahahah I should've known better. Don't get me wrong, the stuff looks amazing and is a pure show car wax. Lasts about a week or so, but during that week that paint looks wetter than a lake.
    I’m only kidding. I’m sure it does what it’s good for.What Got You Into Detailing Cars?

Post Thanks / Like

Grew up in the hood and got tired of seeing new body's laying in the streets so I needed to start a business that cost the least amount of money so I could build enough money to get out the hood so detailing it was Long story short......

Sent from my SM-G986U using Autogeekonline mobile app

17. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast