autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Dash Cams?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Dash Cams?

There is a dedicated forum for dashcams. That is one of the best resource.

There is no shortage of dashcams and new are coming up daily, with newer features. All depends on which features you are looking for and how much are you willing to spend for that.

for consumer grade,
    I have older Street Guardian. My goal was to get the license plate number. Any camera will record an incident but not all will capture license plate number.

Rexing also has some new good cameras. It is CT based and excellent customer service. I had an issue with my dashcam, out of warranty. I reached out to them and they shipped another before me sending mine back to them. Can't ask anything more than that.

I prefer to stay away from Chinese cameras, unless they have a representative here, primarily for customer service issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great luck with the Blackvue DR900S 2 channel dashcam.

I self installed running cables behind the few 'covers' that my 4C has.

Including several photos so you can see how the batteries fit under the passenger seat. The cable from the batteries to central tunnel and subsequent cigarette lighter is now tapped into the underside of that socket.

The camera in front is completely hidden when driving and not a visual obstruction to the passenger.

This shoots in 4K front with 1080 on the back.

Including a link to a couple of youtube videos that I put together to show others how this one's image quality holds-up.

Best Dash Cams?-battery__-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2722_-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2720_-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2728_-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2732__-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2735_-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2736__-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2738_-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2739__-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2740__-jpg

Best Dash Cams?-dsc_2741__-jpg

Longer sample with examples in storms, sunny and night weather. Old Oregonian her so i'm used to rain, I still try to avoid driving this car in inclement weather however I was caught off guard roughly 40 miles from the house when the storm occurred.
    4C Sample Footage DR900S - YouTube

Humor where you see people looking at car, however then have them lean on it which frustrates the heck out of me:
    Dinner Pictures - YouTube

Another car coming the wrong way in the wrong lane. With this one first is standard view, second play-through has been zoomed from 4K to 1080:
    Alfa Romeo - Wrong Way - YouTube

Bicyclist not bothering to check for cars. The 4C is by no means known for being quiet.
    Idiot Bike on Rt 401 - YouTube

Hope the pics and videos help with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks oneheadlight. I have found the lever and will give it a try Wednesday also, thanks for dash cam information
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post

There is a dedicated forum for dashcams. That is one of the best resource.

Ha ha.... I thought forums were dead?

I noticed they use the same forum software that our forum member AZpolisher15 recommended here.

Thanks for the resource. Like others, I find a well run forum to be both helpful and a powerful resource but before I went forum hunting - because I KNOW this forum has a lot of smart people with a wide spectrum of expertise - I chose to use this forum as my resource and by the posts made here already my decision is vindicated.

But - thank you for sharing the above resource.

Post Thanks / Like

@ General Toner, great footage. Did you just bring that footage into a video editor to get the extra long clip with PinP? I don't have any video editing software.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I have had Blackvue's in all my cars for a few years now...

Only issue which may impact you more in Florida is overheating! I wasn't 100% sure as we keep a car in Boca Raton and thought it might of been isolated, but been down for 2 months now with our car from NY and it happens all the time to that one too...

Both cars have ceramic tints and and tinted windshields too... It is not the end of the world and once the car cools down from the AC it operates normal, but in the duration it restarts over and over...

The Camera in the Florida car saved me twice! Once when a employee at Publix pushed a cart right in front of us as we were driving and again when a person pulled right out of a space into us, his statement to insurance was he had never been involved in an accident and wasn't even driving that day...Needless to say his insurance was less than happy we had video! Ended up being a nightmare anyway! They first claimed he lied and committed a crime and they would not cover him! Took months but they finally paid in full...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scv2005 View Post
    Mike, I have had Blackvue's in all my cars for a few years now...

Only issue which may impact you more in Florida is overheating! I wasn't 100% sure as we keep a car in Boca Raton and thought it might of been isolated, but been down for 2 months now with our car from NY and it happens all the time to that one too...

Both cars have ceramic tints and and tinted windshields too... It is not the end of the world and once the car cools down from the AC it operates normal, but in the duration it restarts over and over...

The Camera in the Florida car saved me twice! Once when a employee at Publix pushed a cart right in front of us as we were driving and again when a person pulled right out of a space into us, his statement to insurance was he had never been involved in an accident and wasn't even driving that day...Needless to say his insurance was less than happy we had video! Ended up being a nightmare anyway! They first claimed he lied and committed a crime and they would not cover him! Took months but they finally paid in full...
    Stratus silicon or lithium capacitors? Because my Thinkware’s have silicon. Normal temps in AZ this time of year is 109 - 117. Was 117 just the other day, no issues with either camera.

Mustang, I had to get creative for the rear camera given its a convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the Garmin 55 dash cam in my car and the Mini in the wife’s. I plan to upgrade mine by getting the new 56 and a mini to add to the back because they work in tandem. I’ve had good luck with them and would recommend.
    Close call #1 - YouTube
    Lincoln MKS 13.196 @ 103.22 mph - YouTube
    Lightning strike right outside Lawrence - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12