autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine

I have switched every one of my vehicles except for the antiques, over to synthetic oil, Mobile one.
    I used to have oil analysis run on my vehicles to help determine when the oil change was needed. It's really the only way
    to do it right and not "guess" or go by some ones opinion. I had a 96 Dodge PU with the cummins diesel. Doing just a filter change
    every 6000 miles, I was able to safely go around 20,000 per change according to the analysis reports. Never had one issue and the PU
    only used 1/2 qt between filter changes.
    Also have a 98 Toyota 4runner with over 230,000 miles on it now. I had analysis run on it and had one time put over 30,000 before the
    analysis came back that moisture in the oil was almost to a "change oil" reading. That vehicle still does not use oil between changes.
    Now the VW jetta diesel is different, that one needs changing between 8000 and 10,000 according to the anaylsis. We don't put many miles on it
    now, so I just change it once a year.
    Opinions are like *&^%, everyone has one. The oil sample data takes the opinions out of the equation.

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I totally agree, Ric.

I don't give a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks either.

An oil change costs me around $30.

I'll do mine at about the 3,500 mile mark, or once a year for me.

I am an old school mechanic, and I will not trust that an oil can go 15k. Ever.

And, in the case I am wrong (I am not), what's the harm in changing more frequently??
    Paul...3500 miles, are you driving in heavy bumper to bumper traffic everyday? Even modern dino oils have so much put into them that 5K is the norm now.

FWIW Ric our work vans go 10K on synthetic and we've never ever had an oil related issue with them. Back in 1997, still living in the D, I was in charge of vehicle maintence. We bought a brand new 1997 GMC Safai and for the first 200K I used Valvoline dino oil, no problems but because the oil was getting changed about every 2-3 weeks (driver drove 1500 miles a week) i suggested to the boss that we switch to full synthetic and change it once a month, he agreed because it also saved money, 2 dino changes were more than 1 full synthetic. Fast forward to 2005 when they decided to outsource our delivery service, that van, over years old now, had SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX THOUSAND MILES and ran great, even had the original trans. Speaking of the trans it was serviced religiously every 30K with a filter, gasket and pan wipe and then, when they got the T-tech machine which removed ALL the old fluid and added in fresh, new fluid, I added that every other 30K. Because you know me, well through the internet, it's all trueYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

I had my CR-Z when I first joined AG back in Feb 2012 and had the 15K Mobil 1 oil in there for 13.6K. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they said the engine wasn't broken in yet because there was still aluminum in the oil and told me right now to change it @10K. It might be worth it to have an oil analysis done Ric because that test is as in depth as blood work.

Btw Rick, how are you doing since the accidentYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My thing is that even if synthetic oil can go for 5,8,10,or even 15k miles... When the heck did they invent the oil filters that can protect for 15k miles? Every test I’ve seen online where they cut the filters in half after extended miles beyond 5k they almost always look fubar. Some of these filters like Fram can’t even protect for 3k miles.. Am I wrong?
    Rick, quality oil filters like Mobil 1, Baldwin and Wx are they ONLY way to go. Back in the day I was at a truck supply shop and one of the counter guys had a Fram filter cut open and it had newspaper inside. Now I can't confirm this as a joke or not but you said it about Fram filter or as they called them Fraud filters. The quality ones I mentioned are built better and have double the paper inside and in Mobil 1's case even has synthetic element inside, well worth it to pay a couple dollars more for quality here, that's where the filtering is REALLY doneYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..Your thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..Your thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I'll echo the sentiment that for ~$40 every 3K miles, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Also, I like Krex' graphite oil lubricant. Do not confuse it with additives which can change the oil chemistry.

As for oil filters, NAPA Gold (made by Wix).
    Graphite oil...remember the Cam2 debacle of the 80's, look it up....SLUDGE CITYYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    remember 1000 mile oil changes, then 2000 mile oil changes then 3000 , 5000, 7500, 10,000 oil changes someday we may never have to change oil.
    Elan Musk has just the thing for you, others as wellYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Paul...3500 miles, are you driving in heavy bumper to bumper traffic everyday? Even modern dino oils have so much put into them that 5K is the norm now.

Nope. That is my yearly total.

And that's when it gets changed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes bfielder32087 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

FWIW Ric our work vans go 10K on synthetic and we've never ever had an oil related issue with them. Back in 1997, still living in the D, I was in charge of vehicle maintence. We bought a brand new 1997 GMC Safai and for the first 200K I used Valvoline dino oil, no problems but because the oil was getting changed about every 2-3 weeks (driver drove 1500 miles a week) i suggested to the boss that we switch to full synthetic and change it once a month, he agreed because it also saved money, 2 dino changes were more than 1 full synthetic. Fast forward to 2005 when they decided to outsource our delivery service, that van, over years old now, had SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX THOUSAND MILES and ran great, even had the original trans. Speaking of the trans it was serviced religiously every 30K with a filter, gasket and pan wipe and then, when they got the T-tech machine which removed ALL the old fluid and added in fresh, new fluid, I added that every other 30K. Because you know me, well through the internet, it's all trueYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

I had my CR-Z when I first joined AG back in Feb 2012 and had the 15K Mobil 1 oil in there for 13.6K. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they said the engine wasn't broken in yet because there was still aluminum in the oil and told me right now to change it @10K. It might be worth it to have an oil analysis done Ric because that test is as in depth as blood work.

Btw Rick, how are you doing since the accidentYour thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Everything in your post was real good to hear. For me it’s less about the oil, but more so about my lack of confidence in the filters.. And since I don’t change my own oil I honestly don’t even know what kind of filter gets used.

I’m doing fine, thanks for asking. Today someone brought me a 19’ Escalade. I did the exterior 1st in order to beat the sun.. Once I started on the interior got done with the drivers seats and the rear seats...

After that I started to feel like I was near the finish line as I went to open the rear liftgate and to my surprise there was a 3rd row of seats! I was like “you gotta be effin kidding me”!

After detailing it my thoughts are that it’s simply too much freaking vehicle. PITA to detail. Lol

12. Likes oneheadlite, acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

But I’m still 1 of those people who changes the oil every 3,000 miles. Always have to maybe it’s just a habit I feel good with.

Cheap engine insurance.

14. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789