autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I WIN???

Specialty Fram.

But that's not the "orange special" they advertise to the masses that 90% of people believe are "good filters".

But yes, you win on a technicality. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hell no, I would never use the old orange.
    My brother and I have found the ol switcheroo with the orange tucked in the Ultra boxes 5 times, at Walmart.

Online for my Mann filters

4. Dislikes Jeffrey16 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I have found the ol switcheroo with the orange tucked in the Ultra boxes 5 times, at Walmart.

Online for my Mann filters
    Mann filters? Your thoughts on 15,000 mile oil changes..

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I have found the ol switcheroo with the orange tucked in the Ultra boxes 5 times, at Walmart
    Wow.

I will not, and have not set foot in a Walmart since about 1989.

That was the year I fully realized their true colors.

Peddle the cheapest foreign made crap available, and treat American citizen employees just good enough to satisfy the minimum requirements set by law.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes pilotpip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Acura changed every 3000-3500 miles as well as rotating the tires since the Continental warranty requires it.

My wife’s X3 is around once a year, I think it’s every 10k miles, she doesn’t drive that much since her work is about 5 miles away and daughter drives it to school as well which is around 3 miles away.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I change my F-150 and explorer every 5000 miles. Oil life is usually around 40% on the explorer, and 20% on the truck because I tow my travel trailer at least once a month. Reason I go with that: It's the "severe conditions" interval in both manuals. Both vehicles see about 10,000 miles a year, both vehicles are well within range if something happens and I can't get to it right at 5000 miles. With modern oils (regardless of brand), they have plenty of life left at that point.

I used to do my own oil changes, but as I get older I honestly don't want to deal with it for one. Second, the dealership can do the oil change, and rotate the tires in about half the time for nearly the same money. Both vehicles get the oil and filter that FOMOCO says in the manual.

If you guys really want to read some fun on this topic, check out bobistheoilguy.com. For those of you who suffer from insomnia, or perhaps want to find out things you didn't think you needed to know about oil, you can thank me via personal check.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For newer Audi’s and BMWs that are under warranty, I’m doing what the manufacturer/diagnostics tell me, at the dealership. Hell, I’m even doing that when extended warranty kicks in. And there’s definitely no $40 oil changes for them with whatever they use.

Anyways, these are my first German cars and they make it pretty easy... come in every year or 10K miles and the single oil change plus other recommended maintenance for that mileage. I haven’t thought twice about it to be honest... I figure the people who make the cars know more than I do.

With that being said, in my Acura which I’ve had for 13+ years, it was optional to use synthetic and I did so early in the car’s life, but rather than change it every 10k, I did so every 4-5k. After she turned 100k miles I started using whatever the local shop suggested which was regular oil. By this point the car was burning a full load of oil every 3k so it made sense anyways. I’ve tried synthetic and high mileage synthetic since and it pretty much burns it all at the same pace. Perhaps that had to do with ending my run with Honda.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    My 2007 Lexus ES 350 owner's manual calls for an oil change every 7,500 miles. That seems like too big an interval, and one that I struggle to remember (or at least did struggle before I began using a fuel and repair expense ap).

I have gone 5,000 miles +/- 200 miles for almost all of my 45 years of driving. Is this excessive? Possibly. Have I ever lost even a minute of sleep worried about whether my oil should have been changed? Not even one time. To each his own, but I'll stick to my program, thank you.

But interesting question for sure.
    I'll dismount my high horse, give in, and acknowledge that's the best viewpoint.

I suppose a big question too that goes along with the original - How long do you keep your cars?

I've got no qualms with my maintenance plan as it's been working for me. 236,xxx on the clock, I've had the car for 28 oil changes. No intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I'll dismount my high horse, give in, and acknowledge that's the best viewpoint.

I suppose a big question too that goes along with the original - How long do you keep your cars?

I've got no qualms with my maintenance plan as it's been working for me. 236,xxx on the clock, I've had the car for 28 oil changes. No intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon.
    What year, make, & model?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What year, make, & model?
    2006 Audi A6 Avant (in my avatar).

Previous car was a '98 A4 avant I sold with about 225k, only had that car for about 80k though. Ran like champ. The guy I sold it to checked in a while after he bought it to update me that the car was running great, and he kept getting compliments from people that couldn't believe the age/mileage.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast