autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contest - Find my Newspaper to clean glass theory on MOL - win a prize

You're gonna give that thick pizza loving SOB a prize???

All jokes aside, good work David! Congrats, man!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Thanks DMiglio thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The newspaper recommendation is a method used and talked about but that doesn't make it a great way or even a good way to clean windows.

Newspapers are at their core paper - paper that tends to be clean and dry and for the most part abundant and free if you know where to look and even cheap to buy if you look at them as wiping cloths instead of information compared to paper towels.

It's completely possible that the entire "use newspaper to clean glass" recommendation came about because as an abundant, cheap/free source of clean, (not including the ink), dry paper towels of sorts, it could just be this is the accurate history behind why people use newspapers to clean and dry glass. Because newspaper is free and abundant, not because they're actually good at cleaning glass as compared to glass cleaning towels.

Does using newspapers to dry glass work? Yes. Is newspaper the best option for a wiping cloth? No. There are better wiping cloth options on the market even clean cotton towels work.

There are/were several drivers behind the suggestion to use newspaper to clean windows, esp. as an alternative to "paper towels"

1. Newsprint is naturally more absorbent (mainly due to not using any "sizing" agent)
    2. Newsprint fibers are less likely to separate and cause "lint"
    3. Paper towels (and similar products) use fillers like calcium carbonate and silica, which can cause scratching

Also of note, smearing from the use of newsprint is less of a problem since the switch to soy-based inks.

All that said, I'm sticking with my MF glass towels ... SpeedMasters for the exterior, GG PFM's for inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You're gonna give that thick pizza loving SOB a prize???

All jokes aside, good work David! Congrats, man!
    Hahahahah damn Paul you got me laughing out loud!! Thank you!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

5. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PM’d you Mike. Glad I was able to help you with that and also prove another “theory” for you.

That is, that it’s much easier to find something written on a forum than on any form of social media. I was able to find the posts through a simple Google search. Multiple links all relating to that specific thread were on the first page.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

Post #16 I believe, midway down the page.

Newspaper to clean windows - Page 2

possibly this thread although I believe it’s the same response. Post #32 top of the page

Spotty windows... - Page 4

Post #20 of this thread might explain why newspapers aren’t so good now a days but years past might’ve worked well. Last post on page.

Window Cleaning - Page 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

David you're the WINNER!

Give me until tomorrow to get organized and I'll find something worthy and get it shipped to you. PM me your shipping address.

Hi David,

Apologies for the delay, just so dang busy each day it's hard to get to everything on my plate.

I thought about the prize and how I'm also NOT a Pack Rat. I have a small collection of tools that have been gifted to me over the years by various companies and some I'm going to keep but others I'm going to "gift" to others.

Before FLEX launched the PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher they sent me a prototype to test and write a review.

The NEW FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher Polisher in ACTION!

This is a hand-built prototype and one of the ways you can tell it is different from production units is the tool body and cap are different colors.

It's also the #3 unit built. Here's a couple of pictures I took this morning.

And for my review I used it for the thin, intricate and tight panels on this old 2-door Ford,

Because I also have the #2 FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher and an un-numbered Cordless FLEX PE14 prototype, (both gifted to me by FLEX at SEMA when they were launched), I rarely use the PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher.

So for winning the contest, always being a stellar, positive contributing member of this forum and also because I appreciate your trust in my name to pay for and take one of my Roadshow car detailing classes,

And - this was an EPIC class...

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017

Here's David using a RUPES polisher on an ALL ORIGINAL PAINT

Before

AFTER

(This class knocked out I think 12 cars in 2 days)

For the reasons listed above, I'm sending it to you. I know it will be in good hands.

9. Thanks DMiglio thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill, DMiglio, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Don’t sweat the delay, I understand you’re extremely busy and there’s always something going on.

I’m not quite sure what to say, this gift is beyond generous! Truly amazing! You pour so much of yourself into this forum, the reviews, multiple articles, responding to countless emails/threads/posts day in and day out as well as monitoring spam and keeping this place clean and tidy!

You’re one of the main reasons I contribute to this forum and I took your class because I know you’re one of the best there is! Like classes in school, the teacher can make or break how the student feels about the class and how much knowledge they attain.

You taught such a mixed group of individuals, of all ages(10yrs-mid 60’s?), business owners, hobbyists, weekend warriors and did it with 100% enthusiasm and professionalism! We all learned so much from you and the team at Lake Country. We all left feeling like a team where the day before we were just individuals.

Easily one of the best weekends I’ve had in a long time or ever!

Thank you Mike!
    Thank you Autogeek!
    Thank you to all the Members who contribute to this forum and share so much of your time!

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12