autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Mike Phillips

Re: What are some common myths and misconceptions about car detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post

That it is easy.

I don't do it for money but I've worked on a ton of vehicle's. When people hear how much it costs to have a car detailed they usually think it is a lot of money (it is). But then I explain that the fastest you'd be able to work a panel is about 30 minutes and there are at least 10 panels on a car. That is 5 hours right there. Not to mention 30 minutes for a wash, perhaps claying and then applying a sealant. I'd say a simple detail is 5-10 hours on average.
    I know what you're saying but I'm not sure how to turn it into one sentence? Maybe the myth that,

Detailing is fast and easy

(If that were in fact true - everyone would be doing it)

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post

There is a myth that some special skills are needed. Techniques required are not special, just proper, optimal and precise. Deviating from any of those three techniques in your method will usually not end well. It is not like playing sports where talent is required. Just knowledge, experience and hard work is the only thing required. The biggest klutz on the court or field can be an excellent detailer with proper training and the right products.
    Agree. Detailing is NOT Rocket Science, - it's starts with KNOWLEDGE and then common sense procedures using product that match the surface being detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not THAT old (despite what my kids say), but I helped out my Dad by washing with an old t-shirt, dish soap and drying with a ratty old terry cloth towel my mom didn't want in the house any more. I didn't improve my products or process until much later when I was on my own and owning my second car before I graduated to a dedicated car shampoo and a synthetic chamois. My dad thought I was being extravagant. These days he just mumbles and shakes his head when he sees what I go through....
    Yep - that's how it was done in the old days.

Dish Soap
    DuPont Rubbing Compound
    Turtle Wax
    Armor-All

The average person could clean and detail any car with the above 4 products.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Speaking of myths and misconceptions...

-While searching through the annals of “The History of Car Detailing”...I doubt, very seriously, that there can be chronicled a more maligned car detailing product than Armor All® Protectant,

Bob
    I know just enough about the topic of Armor-All and it being the cause of dashes to crack to be dangerous.

•The “art” of certain manufacturers labeling their detailing products as being: “Clear Coat Safe”.

•Myth/Misconception, or not:

-IMO:

This power-of-suggestion practice creates, at the minimum, doubt in the mind of many consumers. At the most it is blatant exploitation of the general populace’s lack of knowledge of modern-day vehicles’ paint-systems.

Bob
    I'm not sure how to turn this into a myth? I get what you're saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

It's not detailing related, but kind of is, as experienced painters I/we joke to new people to put a couple ounces of WD40 in the paint mix to help eliminate fish eyes.
    Ha ha.... and probably the average person thinks you're telling the truth.

Even after 52 automatic car washes... “xxxxxxxx” still protects your car, and provide a shine you’ll love!

Bob
    You know, for what it is - it will probably work for most people that look at their car as mundane transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

All that pops into my mind looking at that pic is: Wire bench-grinding wheel.
    Me too.... OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

After applying a hard Paste Wax to a paint, don't take it off just yet, drive around for a few hours in the blazing summer sun so the Wax can bake on, you get more durable protection.

Then, when after finally removing the Wax, hose the car down with cold water, it hardens the Wax.
    I've heard of the practice of throwing a bucket of Ice & Water on a car on a hot day - I'll do my best to discuss this topic.

Here’s to products that’ll create that same non-stick effect on your car’s paint, that your frying pans have.

{Nah...that ain’t going to happen.}

Bob
    I have a product here in my office that has the word TEFLON right on the front label. Will discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

How about the myth of using newspaper to clean glass. While back in the day there was some validity to it because the printing companies used Linotype in the ink... it is far from true now.
    This is an OLD myth or is it?

See the contest I started here,

Contest - Find my Newspaper to clean glass theory on MOL - win a prize

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post

Pledge for interiors and crisco for tires...when I was in high school my autobody teacher used to push that on us....he was an old timer

Never heard of Pledge Furniture Polish for car INTERIORS but I've SEEN it used on car exteriors!

Vehicles’ “Coated” leather surfaces require ‘conditioners/conditioning’.

Bob

I hate this myth or questions but I do have a great answer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FM737 View Post

SONAX POLISH & WAX COLOR NANO PRO,

5 different colors available...Never tried them, but they are still being made.

Let me clear up any confusion. The picture you shared is for products from TURTLE WAX - not SONAX.

BUT - SONAX does make a line of color pigmented waxes and I'll have one here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

MYTH: In every product category (Wax, Sealants, Coatings, polish, compound, pad, machine, etc.) there somewhere exists the universal, all-encompassing, works for everyone is every situation, no doubt about it BEST product, i.e. the actual answer to the oft-asked "What is the BEST {insert something here}".

REALITY: While there may indeed be a BEST FOR YOU there is no definitive BEST...of anything.

Wasn't sure how to "word" this as a myth but I included it.

Thanks everyone!

Mike Phillips

Re: What are some common myths and misconceptions about car detailing?

Just thought of another one,

Tire dressings cause tires to turn brown

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456