autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Call to Ban YouTubers

I suppose this has to become a big enough problem for any change to occur. Until then, I’ll just keep using the ignore feature. I don’t remember the last time I watched a detailing YouTube video any way.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Call to Ban YouTubers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I suppose this has to become a big enough problem for any change to occur. Until then, I’ll just keep using the ignore feature. I don’t remember the last time I watched a detailing YouTube video any way.
    I actually watch them pretty infrequently now as well.

I’m still subscribed to a bunch of detailing channels, but I seldom ever click on the videos.

Every now and then I’ll see a video that pertains to something I’ve been wondering about. I’m inclined to click on first impressions and tool reviews (real reviews - the 30 minute ones, not a 5 minute unboxing and thumbs up) and anything else just needs to line up with products I may need at the time.

But even then I’m a lot more inclined to just purchase things and try them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    We truly are a community and there are many on here to respond to posts multiple times a day, respond to questions raised not only in their own threads, but any thread which has a question they may be able to answer. If the Guz, AcuRAS82 or Pats300zx or many other long time, community members leave a review, have a link for a YouTube video to accompany the review it’s truly to help the whole of the community.

Sometimes leaving a few pictures and typing out a long post(like I am) to actually explain what’s going on in the review takes 10-15 minutes. Heck I’ve spent around 30 minutes before linking pictures, adding text to explain the pictures and then having follow up DISCUSSION. These guys spend hours editing videos(I know because I’ve made a few myself so totally understand), post it on here and are gone until they get another one ready to post. Meanwhile they never responded to the previous post that may have a few questions regarding products tips and procedures. Who do you see respond to them though? You guessed it, many of us long time
    forum community members.
    Ill be honest, I started watching YT'ers to figure out things. However I found most of them always said "its the best I have ever worked with"; which is usually untrue. I found comment section on YT stopped being replied to fairly quickly by the poster. With Pan he became to be an entertainer versus a teacher or a reviewer. I was "sold" on BM based on his reviews. Totally sold. Then I started checking it out elsewhere and it was not a protection thing; it was a gloss thing. That made me open my eyes. I think there was some gent from Australia that did a really good review (cant remember who) that basically said (and showed) you will get great gloss but don't expect any long term protection.

I came here and started reading and realized a few people seemed to be worth trusting. I reached out to AcuRAS82 as I was getting ready to get my feet wet. He was beyond helpful and patient! Wasn't hawking any product specifically (have you seen all the different stuff on the Bimmer and Acura? How does he keep track!) and was able to have a conversation about different products and their role in what I was trying to do. He was a big influence on me taking the plunge to the next level.

Obviously Mike is a huge resource. The fact that he takes time to still post and help...amazing. If you read here often it becomes clear who does what. It being associated with postings of YT that can be a fly by night game.

On another car forum that I belong too, if you use the forum for products you need to pay a yearly fee for a "sales" license. This kept things pretty clean. If these YTers are in it for the knowledge and effort then they wont mind paying to post it. But they were limited to posting their wares/stuff in their own thread section. When I found business/people I didnt prefer I could easily just never go in their forum. I guess its as simple as using Ignore here or just not opening their threads too.

Banning, no. Regulating those using it for profit, yes. That would be my voting.

5. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DMiglio, Thomkirby, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Bearcats98 is an awesome dude and asks all the right questions. And listens to those who are attempting insight.

7. Thanks Bearcats98 thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AcuraRS is one who took time to help me, I I think I over welcomed my questions with him lol
    Just kidding Rob, thanks
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I would rather watch AMMO NYC's videos than anything else. He never pushes products, not even his own. He says he uses his own products cause (Duh) they do what he's looking for from the product. He talks about techniques and different situations and soiling levels he comes across and shows how he deals with them. Don't get me wrong, I respectfully disagree with him when it comes to things like protecting the paint and certain things about the wash process but he is very knowledgeable. I have a ton of respect for him not because of what he's done and what not, but rather because he used to manufacturer a polish and a compound but they did not end up doing what they were meant to and he stopped producing them and just told people to use whatever ones they like.

I enjoy the fact that he likes to go on a scientific level about how different things work and why they work. However, he puts his videos on youtube, answers whatever questions and comments he has, and doesn't push anything on anyone.
    Larrys a cool guy. I had an issue with foamer that was 6 mo old. Emailed about warranty. He had me call him about foamer and ended up talking with me for like 45 mins about detailing. Ordered some more frothe and hydrate and he threw in a bottle of reboot to try out.

Reboot didnt fair well against Griots 3-1 but reboot is really just a weekly topper for ammo skin. Skin woulda been the fairer competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    AcuraRS is one who took time to help me, I I think I over welcomed my questions with him lol
    Just kidding Rob, thanks
    Any detailing questions, I’m welcome to provide my not-always-correct opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    ^^ Bearcats98 is an awesome dude and asks all the right questions. And listens to those who are attempting insight.
    Plus, he's a Blue Jackets fan!!!! Has to be a hell of a guy!!!! BEAT the Leafs!

14. Likes Bearcats98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The harm they do is when they don't recommend products that are actually good or are actually damaging because they don't understand the chemical reactions behind it or a case of they're causing people to buy stuff because they're sponsored people shilling it out.

So the damage done are people either wasting their money or causing damage to their cars. Especially on this forum where the usual posters here are helpful and provide information based on first hand experience.

Using myself as an example, I ignored the graphene hype until Guz and BudgetPlan used it and I got their initial review on it. Apex Detail gets his graphene stuff from a retailer in Canada here, oddly enough. I ordered from the same retailer (THey're an Autogeek reseller in Canada) after a few emails back and forth about the product. Apex Detail, I watched how he applied the coating but ignored his claims or his "tests". For example, washing the car multiple times to test a graphene based detail spray? Good car soap shouldn't do much to it but it gives the idea that it's this super powerful product that will do so many things. Reality, it doesn't. It does add slickness and is a good product but the water beading is not the same and neither is the protective properties behind it.

However if you don't know better, you're gonna go out and spend like 80 dollars on this product thinking it's some crazy miracle product. That to me is the harm in things like that. Versus say if that same person came to the forum and asked a few questions around and would get an honest opinion. And Apex Detail got his graphene products for free. That I confirmed with the retailer. Now did they pay him to do a review? I don't know. But I do know that a lot of people have wasted money on it thinking it's something else.

Or in TrustJesus's issue, some youtube video guy told him to use APC on the leather of his steering wheel. Here, most of us would recommend a test spot before full on doing anything.

So imagine you're a guy with an expensive car and expensive leather but you watch a youtube video they posted here. Autogeek has a good reputation so there's no way that video would cause their cars harm if they follow what they do right? Except... ya know.. it does.
    The Graphene hype is real. Manufacturers are coming out of the woodwork with one. In my opinion save your money and stick with ceramic. Graphene still has a long way to go if it even sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    This isn’t about products, it’s about ethics! These guys come here to promote themselves without taking the time to contribute to the forum. Take The Guz for example, he takes the time to test,document and is up front on whether the product was given to him to test/review. He’ll give you a honest opinion not only in his post but further down the road if a question arises. That’s called integrity.

Many guys share their work and list the products that were used which is great. The key is they also discuss and help others that have questions without going over the top on trying to sell.
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. It’s not easy and the only reason I did it was that a video shows more than sometimes typing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Been casually watching this thread develop and I’m split on the topic. While I agree with the OP and many others asking for the banning of YT’ers, I also despise cancel culture and the outrage that comes with it. Granted we don’t have to click the videos, we don’t have to open the thread because we can see the same 2 offenders names listed as the thread creators, but I can understand wanting to have these 2 people removed based on the fact they don’t interact with the community.

The one major example I can think of is with Pan and the launch of Hybrid Solutions from Turtle Wax. He posted a thread about the HS line and this is quoted from his first post..

“Hi guys!

Turtle Wax recently unveiled their new 2020 lineup of products called HYBRID SOLUTIONS. I was invited at the event which reunited some of the most popular car detailing Youtubers all under the same roof! I take you along with me for the ride.

Enjoy the video!”

This came before Autogeek confirmed they’d be carrying the line or posted anything about it themselves. The first few posts were, if AG sells this, were you sponsered/“hooked up”/shilling products. He responded only once in the thread saying,

“Not yet as they're not officially released, but I'm sure you will, as there were people from the AutoGeek management team over at the Turtle Wax event.”

Link to that thread Video: NEW TURTLE WAX products for 2020 : Hybrid Solutions !!

I think this is the problem with YT’ers on the forum who DO NOT INTERACT!! Do we really care what Pan has to say? It’s always this is the best product and you need it now, here’s why, reads product label... He’s not a community member in the sense of how I view many of us and why not wait 8-10 more days when AG officially launched the Hyrbid Solutions line.

We truly are a community and there are many on here to respond to posts multiple times a day, respond to questions raised not only in their own threads, but any thread which has a question they may be able to answer. If the Guz, AcuRAS82 or Pats300zx or many other long time, community members leave a review, have a link for a YouTube video to accompany the review it’s truly to help the whole of the community.

Sometimes leaving a few pictures and typing out a long post(like I am) to actually explain what’s going on in the review takes 10-15 minutes. Heck I’ve spent around 30 minutes before linking pictures, adding text to explain the pictures and then having follow up DISCUSSION. These guys spend hours editing videos(I know because I’ve made a few myself so totally understand), post it on here and are gone until they get another one ready to post. Meanwhile they never responded to the previous post that may have a few questions regarding products tips and procedures. Who do you see respond to them though? You guessed it, many of us long time
    forum community members.

It unfortunately leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many of us here as can be seen in this thread and a recent one posted by Stauffer(idk his name on here). It makes us take up arms and put up defenses because they really are not “part of the community” like the rest of us. That’s how I see it at least and we come on here to talk detailing, relax a bit, make some online friends as you get to TALK/CHAT/DISCUSS with them more and more. I don’t want to have to dodge another video by, Orangevee(spam the organizer) or Stauffer(I’ll leave my view of him out of this), because to me it is only SPAM.

As to your last couple sentences, I think that’s great! Leaving a comment and link to Autogeek is a genius idea!
    Thanks as well the reason you stated is why I started to add videos to my reviews. Some like to see the actual product in work as it conveys a better image than text and photos.

I could care less about the number of subscribers and making money. You won’t be seeing me say click subscribe or hit the notification bell lol. Those that subscribe all I say is thanks.

16. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob,
    Don’t underestimate yourself man. You provide valuable info.

I know I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

18. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast