autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed's Shop Build Thread

Last summer I had a shop built to run a detailing business out of. I figured it might be useful to share the upgrades and progress as it feels like there's a real lack of information (or at least I couldn't find it) regarding shop design, and layout.

It's a two bay 30'x40' shop with 12'3" ceilings.

The office / bathroom portion is 8' wide leaving 32' of shop space for the two work bays.

The larger bay has a depth of 29', and the smaller bay with the staircase has a depth of ~23'. Trucks and large SUVs fit in the bigger bay, smaller SUVs and cars fit in the smaller bay. The heater is a 70k BTU propane heater made by Hot Dawg. Average cost per month to heat was $120 during winter.

Eventually I plan on building a work bench against the back wall. Right now that cardboard box is my work station

Above the office / bathroom is used for storage, and the sound system. The radio is an Onkyo TX8020 with 2 vintage Ohm speakers thanks to my Dad. There's 4' of headroom up there so it can hold quite a bit. The garage doors are 10'x10' and can even fit duellys.

2. Likes PaulMys, DFB, gspam1, dwaleke, Whalen182 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ed's Shop Build Thread

The first upgrade the shop received was 2 new storage shelves. Each shelf is 48"x18"x72". I decided on 18" deep shelves since my 5 gallon containers are only ~16" inches deep. I figured going with 24" shelves would waste precious space.

Not pictured on the right is my Husky workbench, and tool box top.

I've got a big upgrade coming in ~2 weeks.

4. Likes DFB, FocusSTguy, ssnimrod liked this post
    Dislikes FocusSTguy disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is great Ed, I love seeing the process and build up of projects, whether a bathroom remodel, car restoration or a shop build. I’ll be following this with great interest! Looks like a nice work space and plenty of room to work with.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed,

This is awesome and inspiring for some of us.

Thanks for sharing and definitely will follow the upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool.

Congrats on the new shop, Ed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in....

Awesome!

Thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Sorry I didn't reply earlier this week has been crazy busy. Grateful to be really busy but man I'm exhausted.

I finally upgraded my bottles and switched to Tolco 320CRs sprayers with 32oz containers. I was previously using the Home Depot HDX spray bottles and while they worked pretty good, I was burning through 1 or two a month. The Tolcos require less pressure to squeeze, and have a more even and finer spray pattern. The only con they seem to have against the HDX spray bottles is that they can't spray upside down.

I like the lack of branding on them as it makes them look more professional. Don't mind my chicken scratch.

And the cord on my gg6 finally failed. I ended up calling Griots and decided to take advantage of their buy back program to trade it in for credit towards a G9. I've been wanting a faster DA for awhile now and figured now would be a good time. Eventually I want to get a long throw but the budget isn't there yet so this is good enough.

And the big upgrade came in sooner than expected!

It's a Quincy QT-54 5hp 60 gallon compressor (2V41C60VC). I settled on the Quincy because it has a low RPM pump (1310 rpm) and a 100% duty cycle. It also operates at 75db which is a huge pro for me as I can't have it deafening loud inside the shop. I'm going to build an intake silencer to hopefully drop it a few more decibels. I'm also going to order the anti vibration pads for it.

Initially I was leaning towards an Eaton compressor but after finding out the Quincy was $500 less, the pump isn't a knock off, and it operates 3db quieter than the Eaton (which already had an intake silencer installed) it was a no brainer.

Took it off the pallet. Can't hook it up Sunday, but I won't have a regulator to put on in till Tuesday.

10. Likes DMiglio, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Dislikes Stittville Ed disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Ed? What are you planning for the floor?
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I accidentally disliked the second post . I like it and look forward to future shop updates!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

I like it - I dig the styling too, very cool indeed. I look forward to following along & seeing your shop progress. Pleased to read that you’re busy.

I’d be hoping that is an excessive amount of snow foam outside but I get a shivery feeling that it isn’t.

Thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast