autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ed's Shop Build Thread

So I've got this cheapo stool I use for buffing. It's the really common one that everybody rebrands. I bought this one because it had a removable brand sticker as I really don't like logos. The wheels on it have been going out for awhile now and when I was cleaning out my tool box I noticed I still had my old caster wheels from when I tried to pimp out my vacuums. Not wanting them to go to waste I decided to repurpose them.

We'll a bit of work with the impact and drill and voila my cheapo stool had some upgraded wheels.

These are the wheels I removed.

The stool glides now. I can launch myself across the shop on it.

And sadly the European dealer down the road I really liked closed up shop. He did send me one last detail to do. A 1957 Porsche 1600 Super. Quite the awesome little car and this one has a pretty interesting history to it. I found out after detailing it that it's the most expensive car I've detailed yet.

I also finally fixed the door stopper on the door between the office and shop area. When I installed it last summer I didn't position it just right so it actually didn't work. Turns out you have to make sure it's at just the right angle or else the wind will still be able to shut it. Oops

Don't mind the extra holes.

Some "big" changes to the shop are coming. I'll be sprucing up this mess pretty soon.

And last but not least the apartment upstairs was drywalled. I aplogize for the bad pictures but with no electricity up there it's hard to get good lighting.

God what a good view of the car wash next door

The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

2. Likes DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you keep us guessing what that 57 Porsche is worth? What are you going to do with the apartment upstairs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are you keep us guessing what that 57 Porsche is worth? What are you going to do with the apartment upstairs?
    We'll I could keep you guys guessing till next year . I'd be lying if I said I knew much about Porsches but because it's has some mods to match the GT spec and it has a sun roof I was told it's worth around 150k. It only had 18k on the clock.

And I'll be living upstairs with my girlfriend. It's a little under 800 square foot and I'll probably hit my head a lot on the sloped roofs but it's rent free with no upstairs or downstairs neighbor so it's hard to complain. The only downside is that I really like driving my vehicles and I won't be able to enjoy a to and from work drive. I may take up the habit of looping around the neighborhood to compensate.
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

5. Likes dgage, DFB, mc2hill, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man time flies. I can't believe I haven't updated this thread since last year.

I ended up having some extra money to spend at the end of last year. I decided to spend it on replacing the things that annoyed me the most in day to day use.

First up was my detail cart. I switched over to a plastic one because a metal one is a little risky to use around cars. Plus the wheels were on the way out and kinda gave the cart a mind of it's own. Somehow they always veered the cart towards the car I was working on.

What's funny is I bought the metal cart back then because I thought the plastic carts were "cheap".

The new snazzy plastic cart:

Compared to my old one. The rust on the old one is metal dust from when I was doing some serious metal fabrication. The cart itself is solid, just dirty.

I had to make sure the new cart would fit in it's home.

I also bought 8 new 5 gallon dispensers for my chemicals. My old ones were getting leaky, and two of the old ones failed. I use about 12 different chemicals but I found some of them weren't worth buying 5 gallon quantities at a time because that would be a few years worth.

The chemicals in the 5 gallon jugs are as follows:
    1. Tire Shine: Optimum Opti-bond
    2. APC: Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner D101 @ 10:1 (I also keep a bottle of 4:1 on hand for tough stains)
    3. Quick Detailer: Optimum No Rinse @ 16:1 (I mostly use this for clay lube)
    4. Carpet Spotter: Folex Instant Stain Remover (I love this stuff)
    5. Wheel Cleaner: Megauir's Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner D143 (Used on good condition wheels)
    6. Wheel Acid: Meguair's Wheel Brightener D140 (My most used wheel cleaner)
    7. Degreaser: Purple Power @ 2:1 (Used for engine bays, wheel wells, and tires)

And on top of that I splurged and bought a new buffer.

I'm still trying to learn how to use it. It's quite the step up from my gg6.

A week or so ago when I was using my velocity vac (I love this thing, it saves me 1 - 2 hours per vehicle) I noticed it wasn't working as good as it usually does. Turns out I should have cleaned it sooner...

I had to use iron remover on my toliet in the shop. I forgot to snag a before picture but when I was doing all that grinding / cutting of metal it left a thick coat of metallic dust everywhere. Including the bathroom, and it turned my toliet rusty. Megauir's Iron Remover D180 made quick work of it.

I wish I could have taken more pictures, but a TON of progress was made on the upstairs apartment. I wasn't able to take many pictures during the work because the electrical wasn't done. There was no lighting and a lot of the work was done (almost) in the dark. Since I last posted my girlfriend and I primed, and painted every room, along with laying down most of the flooring. My Dad did all of the electrical which as of the time of writing this up, is all hooked up minus the oven.

Lastly, the new oven arrived. Not the fanciest out there, but it's a glass top, and has a few nifty features like power boil burners, and self cleaning. Given all the rentals I've lived in, it's the nicest oven I've had yet.

7. Likes Farmallluvr, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!!
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

I just read this thread from beginning to end and all I can say is WOW! What a cool story. I love the fact that you seem to be able to handle any task that comes up and seem to jump right in and get it done. Reminds me of me when I was your age.

Best of luck to you, Ed.

I'll be checking in from time-to-time from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite threads. Good on you man!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Looking good!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I just read this thread from beginning to end and all I can say is WOW! What a cool story. I love the fact that you seem to be able to handle any task that comes up and seem to jump right in and get it done. Reminds me of me when I was your age.
    Best of luck to you, Ed.

I'll be checking in from time-to-time from here on out.
    Thanks 2black1s I appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I love this thread!
    Glad to hear you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    One of my favorite threads. Good on you man!
    Thanks hoyt66;1703600!

Life's been a bit chaotic lately. Not much has changed business wise as lately things have been pretty slow. I'm still working about 32 - 35 hours a week but the jobs haven't been that great. I've been purposely leaving my Fridays open so I can enjoy 3 day weekends.

I did move my desk into the lobby. The desk is one of those adjustable height desks so it can be used as a standard sitting desk, or a standing one. Most of the time I'll leave it up high so it is like a "counter", but when I do want to work at it I'll drop it down and sit in my chair.

A jump box is a must have for a shop. Just saying.

Lots has changed upstairs.

For flooring in the kitchen we opted to go with the "luxury" vinyl tiles. They're the ones that have an adhesive backing and can be grouted if desired. We wanted the tile look, but didn't really have the time, or money for real tile.You have to put an underlayment down first though (1/4 plywood).

I never remembered to take a picture of the floor once done, but here's one when I took a progress picture of the sink bench.

Why a sink bench? Because I don't have enough money for kitchen cabinets and desperately need a kitchen sink.

My girlfriend and I, along with two cats actually moved in before we got the kitchen sink operational, and had a bathroom. We've been using the shops bathroom to make do.

Here's how the sink set up looks now.

You might recognize the bench if you've seen my shop's workbench. I used the same design for the legs and just modified the dimensions a hair.
    I did the plumbing myself. It's amazing what you can learn in just a few videos on Youtube.

The other side of the kitchen.

Here's the living room.

And bedroom. Don't mind the mess. We've only half unpacked and it's been an adventure.

All 4 windows have cafe curtains so we can have privacy, but still let in sun light at the same time.

Bathroom wise when we moved in the only thing functional was the shower. It was a bit annoying having to walk a half mile to use the bathroom downstairs but we made it work.

Like the kitchen, the bathroom floor is vinyl tiles. I had to put layment down first.

And here's the bathroom floor done. Checkout that toliet that I installed. I even had the appropriate plumber's crack during install. The water supply line for it is a hair too long. Next time I get up to Home Depot I'll buy the proper one.

There's no towel racks yet so we have to leave the towels on the shower rod.

The best feature of the bathroom is the washer / dryer hook ups. Now if only we had a set lol.

And last but not least my Jeep received a well deserved detail. The thing has been a serious work horse and literally moved everything
    in the apartment except for the bed. I love detailing the thing because it's a vehicle that most wouldn't bother to clean. It's got dents, rust, crows feet in the paint, along with multiple bird dropping etch marks but at 6 feet away the paint literally looks wet.

I used HD speed on a white LC pad then topped it with Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant.

Here's a pic of it with the tv stand and a bureau stuffed in it.

That's all folks

13. Likes dgage, PaulMys, DFB, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You've come a long way since the beginning, Ed.

Great stuff!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast