autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ed's Shop Build Thread

Awesome update, Ed!

I can lend you a terrier for that mouse..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Abbondanzio View Post
    Speaking of wildlife I've got a mouse problem. Little chonker jumped out of my Jeep the other morning and ran into the wall. Found some droppings in my microfibers. I'm going to close up some of the holes in the walls, and see if Home Depot has any landmines that are sensitive enough to trip for a small rodent.

Good ol' wooden Victor "snap" trap and peanut butter for bait. Works every time, the little suckers love peanut butter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Awesome update, Ed!

I can lend you a terrier for that mouse..........
    Lol does that include delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Good ol' wooden Victor "snap" trap and peanut butter for bait. Works every time, the little suckers love peanut butter.
    Thanks I'll give it a shot. Hopefully I don't see the peanut butter around lunch time when I'm getting hungry myself
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Turkey Day guys! Haven't had much good things to post in awhile so I've been laying low.

The day after I bought my mouse traps I was setting them up when I found out some bad news. Cheesers passed away.

He died doing what he loved. Swimming in my drain bucket for the hot water heater.

I didn't end up setting my traps up until a week later when I saw a friend of his dart by me.

I started off with 2 traps to no avail. Then I upped the stakes and put down 6 traps. Within 15 minutes I heard a snap and got em.

Haven't seen a mouse since then.

Upstairs was finally spray foamed. Drywall will be coming in a week or so.

Business wasn't great for a stretch, especially so around the election. I think people just had other things on their mind. It's picked up since then to a respectable level which I'm cool with. I think I needed some extra time off from detailing after how busy summer was.

It's like they say when life gives you lemons you make the best of it.

I haven't really posted much because I've been living next to my Jeep trying to finish it for the winter. I was all done with it till I found out the rust in the rear had gotten too bad to pass inspection.

I basically chopped out the entire rear and have been fabricating a new one. New frame rails, new shock crossmember, new gas tank mount, and more. For anyone interested I wrote up a detailed series on it

I got it to the point where it was driveable so I could get it to the shop for an alignment. Felt so weird having that half of the
    shop empty for a day.

That's really it for now. I'll share pics of the drywall when it's up.
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

5. Likes PaulMys, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The shop is coming together nice ! I really like the ceiling height, my Cobalt 242 bow rider could fit in there for its yearly buff n polish.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Accidental bucket trap? Lol. I use a 5 gal bucket trap and can get a dozen out at our farm/barn.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    The shop is coming together nice ! I really like the ceiling height, my Cobalt 242 bow rider could fit in there for its yearly buff n polish.
    Thanks! And the ceilings are 12' 3" high. When the shop was being built I wanted to make sure it could fit a lift. I was planning on buying a 2 post lift someday before I realized it would basically make half the shop useless for detailing as it'd be a PITA to work around said lift lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Accidental bucket trap? Lol. I use a 5 gal bucket trap and can get a dozen out at our farm/barn.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Damn, didn't realize that a bucket could be such an effective killing machine lol. I'm just glad I spotted it before it turned to mouse stew.

I'm suspecting there may be a third mouse in the shop. I noticed all the peanut butter on my traps has gone missing in action. I fear the war isn't over yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, didn't realize that a bucket could be such an effective killing machine lol. I noticed all the peanut butter on my traps has gone missing in action. I fear the war isn't over yet.
    Yep. You can make a very effective one out of a 5 gal bucket, soda can and a coat hanger, etc. YouTube is your friend. Just look up Bucket Trap.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Turkey Day guys! Haven't had much good things to post in awhile so I've been laying low.

The day after I bought my mouse traps I was setting them up when I found out some bad news. Cheesers passed away.

He died doing what he loved. Swimming in my drain bucket for the hot water heater.

I didn't end up setting my traps up until a week later when I saw a friend of his dart by me.

I started off with 2 traps to no avail. Then I upped the stakes and put down 6 traps. Within 15 minutes I heard a snap and got em.

Haven't seen a mouse since then.

Upstairs was finally spray foamed. Drywall will be coming in a week or so.

Business wasn't great for a stretch, especially so around the election. I think people just had other things on their mind. It's picked up since then to a respectable level which I'm cool with. I think I needed some extra time off from detailing after how busy summer was.

It's like they say when life gives you lemons you make the best of it.

I haven't really posted much because I've been living next to my Jeep trying to finish it for the winter. I was all done with it till I found out the rust in the rear had gotten too bad to pass inspection.

I basically chopped out the entire rear and have been fabricating a new one. New frame rails, new shock crossmember, new gas tank mount, and more. For anyone interested I wrote up a detailed series on it

I got it to the point where it was driveable so I could get it to the shop for an alignment. Felt so weird having that half of the
    shop empty for a day.

That's really it for now. I'll share pics of the drywall when it's up.
    I hope you gave Jerry mouse a Christian burial. The transformation on the truck floor was amazing. Did you have to use an extractor?

11. Likes Ed Abbondanzio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I hope you gave Jerry mouse a Christian burial. The transformation on the truck floor was amazing. Did you have to use an extractor?
    Jerry received a loving ceremony involving me carefully throwing him into the woods. It's what he would have wanted lol

And thanks! If I remember right I didn't do any extracting on the truck floor. Most of the stuff in the carpet hadn't embedded itself too deep so my velocity vac made quick work of it. Sorry I missed your comment till now. Sometimes I disappear for a bit.

I found the maximum length of vehicle that the shop allows for. Extended cab pickup with a plow and 9 1/2' utility bed.

I could just barely get the extractor through.

I need to fire my graphic designer (me). He took three tries to make a good business card. The first one had text too small. The second one the blue was off, and the back couldn't be written on because of the gloss finish which made it hard to scribble down the date / time of peoples' appointments. The third was just right!

Top business card is my OG that I whipped up really quick when I first started. The middle two are fluke designs, and the last is my new design. I ordered my latest cards from GotPrint. Highly recommend them.

On the back they have two lines to write down the date / time of appointments and a little blurb asking people to let me know as soon as possible if they need to cancel or reschedule.

Total cost was like $150 so I still came out ahead of hiring a real designer. The biggest lesson I learned was colors that look good on a computer screen don't always look good on paper.

Don't do metal work in a detail shop. It makes a huge mess.

And what do you get when you have a steep 10 on 12 metal roof that slopes down in front of your garage doors when it snows?

The day after every storm my roof clears itself in about 30 seconds. It's fun to watch how fast the snow comes off but not so fun to shovel out. The latest storm was the worst because the snow was heavy and wet. It felt like chiselling out concrete.

I lurk on here a lot. I don't comment much because I don't have as much experience as most the people here so I try to avoid giving bad advice. One of my favorite things is when I see a post that teaches me something that saves me some time. The most recent one was a thread where I learned about a magical elixir called brown royal (thank you Eldorado2k!). Apparently it's one of the few wheel cleaners that can save wheels with major amounts of brake dust on them. I ordered a gallon of it and set it aside for about a month before I finally was able to test it out.

I had to do a dealer car that had all four rims coated in brake dust. The pictures don't do it justice but the dust had built up into thick globs along the inner edge.

I sprayed the brown royal on them and gave it a few minutes to work its magic. And amazingly with some scrubbing it took all the dust off!

Total time for each rim was about 15 minutes whereas before I've spent an hour or two trying to clean one rim in similar condition. I normally use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener at 1:1 but I found it wont touch this stuff even when at max strength.

I've also phased away from using bug remover. Works great but it's stupid easy to stain plastic trim. One time I had to do an express detail on a red Miata with the softest single stage paint I've ever seen and it literally stained the paint. I had to buff everything I sprayed bug remover on. The paint was so soft that wiping it with a clean microfiber would literally mar it. That was a pretty stressful job.

Now when it comes to removing bugs I just use my degreaser and a bug sponge. I've found it to be just as good as the bug remover / bug sponge with less risk.

I also decided to dish out some money for a case of gloves. I figured this PPE shortage won't be over for awhile so I stocked up with 10 boxes of mechanic nitrile gloves. It was twice as much as I usually pay but I was tired of trying to source gloves every month or so.

13. Likes PaulMys, DFB, mc2hill liked this post
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast