autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ed's Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Spot on! Very nice. It’s amazing what you can do with wood
    Thanks and 100% agree. Plus the price is hard to beat too.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    If you get tired of that OSB surface. Get some MDO plywood to cover it. You can seal it up and it would take getting wet pretty well ( They use it to paint exterior signs on.)

If you ever do that, consider extending the edge about 3-4 inches beyond your 2x4 supports. It's really handy to have an edge that you can clamp stuff to sometimes.
    That's a good idea. If I get tired of the flashing I'll probably give it a try.

This week was a weird one. One of my jobs for a repeat customer ended up being a much much older vehicle than I was anticipating. The owner was planning on bringing me his work truck to do, but ended up bringing me this old gal instead.

The paint wasn't original but it was fairly faded and scratched. It was also a single stage paint which I hadn't anticipated. I haven't had the opportunity to work on single stage paint much but I remembered stumbling across Mike's #7 rub down post a month or two ago. The stars must have been aligned for me because I actually had a bottle of Meguairs #7 glaze laying around. Here's a 50/50 shot of the hood.

And the brand new Ingersoll Rand regulator failed. The Amazon reviews for it weren't the best due to most reviewers claiming it failed within a year, but the price was right. I bought it with plans to upgrade within a year, I just didn't expect it to be within a month.The regulator was still outputting the proper pressure but when a large amount of air passed through it (2 tornador blacks) it would hum an awful HHHHHRRRR sound. It was obnoxious and needed to go. I tossed it in the dumpster before realizing I probably should have returned it instead lol.

Replacement is a Norgen B74G-4AK-AD1-RMG.

Installed.

And one of my Prevost couplers seems to be defective from the factory as the quick release button is weeping air. Kinda bummed as I really like them but I'm gonna look the other way and hope it's just a fluke.

Yesterdays job was a pretty gross one. It was a ~2017 Ford Edge that had been a family car for a few young children. Need I say more?

The back seat was the epicentre of the mess with an abundance of ice cream stains and more in it. Ended up pre treating with Folex and running the extractor (Mytee HP60) over it afterwards. Took a few extra passes for a few stubborn stains but the end results were respectable.

And my Dad got me a good deal on a rental for a metal breaker for the weekend.

I used it today to bend up some of the flashing I bought last week for a cheap waterproof workbench top. I didn't take many progress pictures because I was eager to get out since it was suppose to be my day off. Here's a halfway shot.

Done!

I used the 3 spare 2x4s from the bench to make a backsplash. All cracks were sealed with white silicone. It's not an optical illusion that one of the my outlets is closer to the bench than the other. And no it's not because my bench is that warped (it's only varies by 1/4 in height). The outlets appear to be at different heights in the wall. The one closest to the compressor is literally touching the top of the backsplash. Thank god my carefully crafted workbench calculations pre planned for that. No way it was pure luck that my workbench was just the right height

And lastly, I made a small change in my arsenal by switching out to "real" detailing brushes for interiors. I used to use 1" paint brushes since they're stupid cheap and they did the job, but I decided to take a gamble and see if I liked the classic brush AutoGeek sells.

At first I was apprehensive, but after using it I regret not buying one sooner. The larger size lets me work a little quicker, and I feel safer using it as I don't have to worry about any metal on the brush potentially scratching tight areas like vents. I ended up ordering 2 more lol.

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice update

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. I've enjoyed reading though the whole thread tonight. I'm always impressed when someone gets the idea to start or expand their business and follows through in a systematic way. The best part is that the whole project has been hands on and the bonus is that it's so close to home. Best of luck in your endeavor, I look forward to reading more future updates.
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a helluva nice setup ya have there!
    id like to offer a couple suggestion on yer compressor.
    bolt it to the floor through the dampeners. personally i used 1/2" thick rubber( from the advise of a 40 year auto painter who has had a few different compressors over the years. his compressors are used a LOT).
    you might want to think about better air/water filtration for it. that IR seperator/filter isnt that good and will eventually spit out goobers when ya least expect it

Post Thanks / Like

This is a cool thread. Thanks for bringing us on the journey
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
    Great thread. I've enjoyed reading though the whole thread tonight. I'm always impressed when someone gets the idea to start or expand their business and follows through in a systematic way. The best part is that the whole project has been hands on and the bonus is that it's so close to home. Best of luck in your endeavor, I look forward to reading more future updates.
    Thanks, hopefully the thread will continue to grow and get even better. I've got lots of improvements and ideas to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalerfreak View Post
    Nice update

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    thats a helluva nice setup ya have there!
    id like to offer a couple suggestion on yer compressor.
    bolt it to the floor through the dampeners. personally i used 1/2" thick rubber( from the advise of a 40 year auto painter who has had a few different compressors over the years. his compressors are used a LOT).
    you might want to think about better air/water filtration for it. that IR seperator/filter isnt that good and will eventually spit out goobers when ya least expect it
    Thanks and I've thought about bolting it to the floor, the only reason I didn't is because I don't like doing anything to permanent yet. Seems like the shop layout continues to evolve.

And I concur on the IR separator not being that good as the thing failed in under a month. I've got plans to run hard lines across the shop and do a properly designed air system soon. The little bit of piping I have coming out of the compressor was all I needed to be functional for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    This is a cool thread. Thanks for bringing us on the journey
    Thanks! Hopefully many more updates to come.

Post Thanks / Like

With the workbench operational, I've been trying to fully utilize it more and stop using my cart as the primary storage area. I guess old habits die hard after having nothing more than a small folding table and a cardboard box for 6 months

I laid out all my stuff to try to plan out how I'm going to organize things. Not 100% sure what I'll do but I'm not in a rush to solve the issue just yet. Right now I'm thinking some upper cabinets for microfibers with a small tool wall set up between the cabinets and the workbench.

The box fan is my new central air system for the shop. It turned HOT all of a sudden. Back to sweating again.

And my birthday's coming up. My Girlfriend got me an awesome early gift of a mini fridge. Perfect fit, and it's like a luxury of having cold water.

I figure it's about time I share what's upstairs. I'm sure the suspense has been killing some of you guys. The upstairs is accessible via a door in the small storage area of the shop.

Directly behind it is yet another door but this one has a window! I know it looks messy but this is pretty clean compared to how it was a week ago. I was storing 2x6s and more but I finally moved them out to the scrap wood pile outside. I don't know what to do with that light bar.

To the left is the stairs that lead up to a platform! During winter I was storing my beverages out here but with the cold temperatures gone it's not as useful. The ammo box is full of tools. So is the backpack.

At the top of the stairs is what will eventually be an apartment! Who would have guessed . The area directly by the stairs will be the kitchen on the left, and the living "room" on the right.

Other angle.

The room in the back will be a bedroom.

It's still a couple months before progress will be made but I hope my Dad and will start the wiring soon.

10. Likes PaulMys, dennis b, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Broke my OG Tornador. This ones on me as it was 100% my fault. Back in January or February when there was still snow on the ground I was having an issue with the grip portion loosening up from the valve body during use. I was convinced it was due to the "crush" washer wearing out and it needed to be replaced.

Well it was a little hard to find the authentic washer so I ended up at the hardware store and found a somewhat similar replacement. Turns out it wasn't exactly the right thickness and in my desperate attempt to make it work I over tightened the grip to the valve body and proceeded to strip out all the threads in the valve body. I went from a minor inconvenience to a major problem lol.

I ended up figuring out I could red lock tight the thing back together and that worked like a charm for about 4 months until it came loose again. Once again I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new solution of using a hose clamp to hold it together. It wasn't pretty but it worked!

And about a week ago I learned you can buy a replacement valve body for a good price. Not many sellers carry these!

I stripped them out good.

New one installed.

Speaking of Tornadors I caved and splurged on a velocity vac. I was concerned about the set up and disassembly time so I went with the ZV-240. It's a Tornador black that doesn't spray chemical but uses the ball bearing set up vs the crazy straw.

I had mixed feelings using the tool before I really realized what it's best for. I like to play the game "can it be vacuumed?" which involves me vacuuming up anything and everything from straws, tissues, napkins, bottle caps, and the occasional gross pen or pencil that has been long abandoned in a crevice. And that is NOT what this tool is meant for lol. But when you use it on carpet that has a lot of sand or dirt trapped in it man does it go to town. 10/10 would recommend.

I had the opportunity to work on a old Chevelle this week as well.

It's been fully restored by the owner. He calls it just a driver and doesn't take it to shows but he does take it down the drag strip. He was more concerned about just shining up the paint a bit and adding a protective layer of wax to it.

And the Euro dealer down the road brought me this cool old Z3 M. Very unusual color to it as well. Kinda grows on you. It received the standard HD speed production buff.

The grass out back is coming in better than I hoped too!

Still has a ways to go but I'm going to continue watering it and hope it fills in a bit more. I'll reseed again if needed.

And lastly, a neat little touch I've learned to do is whenever I detail a customers car anything I find in the interior I'll bag up in a plastic bag and leave it on the passenger

I had a customer come back a month or two ago with some sun glasses that he thought I accidentally left in his car because at the time I was simply leaving the stuff on the passenger seat. I find the paper bag looks a little more professional and helps show it wasn't an accident but something I found buried underneath a seat or lost somewhere.

12. Likes PaulMys, hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy 4th of July!

Been laying low lately just trying to build up my savings. There's still tons of things I'd love to upgrade and improve in the shop, but for the time being I'm gonna keep things as is and enjoy clocking out at 4:30pm when I leave and not think about the business till 8:00am the next day.

Kinda gets tiring working 5-6 days a week and when you do finally get home you have to plan out upgrades, resupply, or research new things. Ugh lol.

The backyard is coming in nicely. My Dad gave it the ceremonial first mow last week.

And I found out you can buy HD speed in a gallon container!

The other week I was cleaning out a dealer car that had an "organic herb" smell to it. Every compartment was full of trimmings. The previous owner must have been a chef or something and was storing their spices in there lol.

My toolbox is in a sorry state right now. I'm gonna start pimping it out a bit over the next few weeks. I plan on vinyl wrapping the silver handles matte black and buying into the tool grid organization system. Right now I have my tools in 4 different spots and it's a total PITA trying to find the right wrench.

The only real change in the shop is my Cherokee has taken up permanent residency in the small bay for the time being. The thing has been severely neglected by it's previous owners (and me). I'm gonna pick at it piece by piece until the snow starts to fly to try to get it back into better shape

The picture is a little outdated as I dropped the front axle two days ago and currently am getting ready to sandblast / paint it. The thing needs so many repairs that anyone else probably would send it off to the junkyard.

It needs:
    • Front brakes
    • Front wheel bearings
    • Front u joints
    • Front inner axle seals
    • Front shock towers repaired
    • Front lower control arm
    • Front upper control arm bushings
    • Track bar
    • Valve cover gasket
    • Oil pan (rusted) + gasket
    • Rear main seal
    • Heater core
    • AC evaporator
    • Rear brakes
    • Rear quarter rust repair
    • Rear bumper
    • Hitch receiver
    • Rear shock crossmember repaired
    • Rear leaf springs
    • Rear bump stops (missing)
    • Driver window regulator
    • Frame patched in several spots

Haha I love the thing.

14. Likes PaulMys, DFB, dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Abbondanzio View Post
    Happy 4th of July!

Been laying low lately just trying to build up my savings. There's still tons of things I'd love to upgrade and improve in the shop, but for the time being I'm gonna keep things as is and enjoy clocking out at 4:30pm when I leave and not think about the business till 8:00am the next day.

Kinda gets tiring working 5-6 days a week and when you do finally get home you have to plan out upgrades, resupply, or research new things. Ugh lol.

The backyard is coming in nicely. My Dad gave it the ceremonial first mow last week.

And I found out you can buy HD speed in a gallon container!

The other week I was cleaning out a dealer car that had an "organic herb" smell to it. Every compartment was full of trimmings. The previous owner must have been a chef or something and was storing their spices in there lol.

My toolbox is in a sorry state right now. I'm gonna start pimping it out a bit over the next few weeks. I plan on vinyl wrapping the silver handles matte black and buying into the tool grid organization system. Right now I have my tools in 4 different spots and it's a total PITA trying to find the right wrench.

The only real change in the shop is my Cherokee has taken up permanent residency in the small bay for the time being. The thing has been severely neglected by it's previous owners (and me). I'm gonna pick at it piece by piece until the snow starts to fly to try to get it back into better shape

The picture is a little outdated as I dropped the front axle two days ago and currently am getting ready to sandblast / paint it. The thing needs so many repairs that anyone else probably would send it off to the junkyard.

It needs:
    • Front brakes
    • Front wheel bearings
    • Front u joints
    • Front inner axle seals
    • Front shock towers repaired
    • Front lower control arm
    • Front upper control arm bushings
    • Track bar
    • Valve cover gasket
    • Oil pan (rusted) + gasket
    • Rear main seal
    • Heater core
    • AC evaporator
    • Rear brakes
    • Rear quarter rust repair
    • Rear bumper
    • Hitch receiver
    • Rear shock crossmember repaired
    • Rear leaf springs
    • Rear bump stops (missing)
    • Driver window regulator
    • Frame patched in several spots

Haha I love the thing.
    Love the updates and the Jeep. I hope the i sold on BaT last year is still serving that owner well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast