autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Intake modification, does this look like a DIY?

JacFab - Laminator FX

I looked into a ported intake manifold for my Camaro, and the company that does the porting, also offers this drop-in piece that gives approximately a 17% increase in airflow as opposed to a 19-21% for a ported manifold ($100 VS $450). I watched the video on the site about this part and it really looks like this could be a DIY with some epoxy & a few screws.

If you could give the video a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Mike Phillips

Re: Intake modification, does this look like a DIY?

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post

I watched the video on the site about this part and it really looks like this could be a DIY with some epoxy & a few screws.

Don't forget a strip of duct tape to seal the deal.

Seriously, this is out of my wheel house. I prefer old school technology because I can work on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Don't forget a strip of duct tape to seal the deal.

Seriously, this is out of my wheel house. I prefer old school technology because I can work on it.

Funny you should mention duct tape, because I was going to use Gorilla tape, it sticks better LOL
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

As far as looking DIY, I’d say it would pass a visual inspection(ocular pat-down for Its always Sunny fans). It being installed internally would hide it completely but if the screw is at the topside of the manifold I’m guessing that would be visible.

Personally, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. Flow isn’t everything, without getting too complicated any % increase should be beneficial but just bc the manifold flows more wont guarantee actual power increase and/or if it does may move the power to a different part of your power band. Is there any dyno numbers or track times speed traps for proof of this mod?

I think it’s cool though, I love working on my cars and doing little DIY mods as well, but I think I’d rather rig up an intake of some sort, maybe take out that “waffle” their talking about. They did mention the LFX 17% increase was with the “waffle” removed as well.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    As far as looking DIY, I’d say it would pass a visual inspection(ocular pat-down for Its always Sunny fans). It being installed internally would hide it completely but if the screw is at the topside of the manifold I’m guessing that would be visible.

Personally, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. Flow isn’t everything, without getting too complicated any % increase should be beneficial but just bc the manifold flows more wont guarantee actual power increase and/or if it does may move the power to a different part of your power band. Is there any dyno numbers or track times speed traps for proof of this mod?

I think it’s cool though, I love working on my cars and doing little DIY mods as well, but I think I’d rather rig up an intake of some sort, maybe take out that “waffle” their talking about. They did mention the LFX 17% increase was with the “waffle” removed as well.
    I saw another video where the guy just removed the 'waffle' and didn't notice a difference. I think that filling the chin void will smooth out airflow, improving it. I'm also considering getting the manifold spacer when I start detailing again and getting extra cash that is supposed to make a significant difference (Mike Phillips ... think "Tunnel Ram" / "Velocity Stack" intake manifold )

I'm not going to get a ported throttle body, because I know intake velocity is at least as important as volume and if I increase the volume too much and lower velocity, I'll lose low/mid-range power unless I go forced induction. I'm just trying to improve the airflow.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh didn’t realize it was to smooth out the inside of the manifold, I could see that being be beneficial. I saw that spacer on the site and that definitely looked like a worthwhile mod.

Seems you’ve got a firm understanding on the flow/volume characteristics of intake design
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

7. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not likely worth it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Says it has not been dyno tested, just airflowed. I`d like to see some dyno gains personally. Don't think I would go this route. May just a good cold air intake/filter combo?

I ported my stock LS7 intake myself. Port matched the runners to the gasket, opened up the rest and had black plastic flying around! It was very time consuming, came out OK, not all the runners were even/etc.

I eventually replaced it with a FAST 102 manifold that I had Jeremy Formato port for me. That was a pro job and looked like it.

I`d say, now`s the time to port your factory intake yourself and see how it comes out! Take your time and have at it. If ya mess it up...aftermarket baby!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology