autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on the Covid-19 situation?

Yeah we could get into a detailed discussion on masking, especially it’s effectiveness indoors without good ventilation. Yes masks help with spread but after 50 minutes, the air is homogenized where everyone’s breath is commingled with everyone else’s. Masks might protect a kid in the far left front from a kid with Covid in the far-right rear seat but that’s about it when spending such protracted periods of time together. Masks can be effective in certain instances but blanket policies on such complicated topics don’t get to operate with nuance. And the average public is not capable or willing to deal with anything that requires nuance. Without nuance you get these all or nothing policies where the reality is we need more balance. But America is anything but balanced right now unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Yeah we could get into a detailed discussion on masking, especially it’s effectiveness indoors without good ventilation. Yes masks help with spread but after 50 minutes, the air is homogenized where everyone’s breath is commingled with everyone else’s. Masks might protect a kid in the far left front from a kid with Covid in the far-right rear seat but that’s about it when spending such protracted periods of time together. Masks can be effective in certain instances but blanket policies on such complicated topics don’t get to operate with nuance. And the average public is not capable or willing to deal with anything that requires nuance. Without nuance you get these all or nothing policies where the reality is we need more balance. But America is anything but balanced right now unfortunately.
    Working in a lab like I do, I have opinions on masking for sure. Especially given the safety training we go through and the feedback and materials we use directly from 3M. In the end, they stop spit and are basically a kleenex. In terms of actually stopping an airborne virus, your typical over-the-counter surgical mask, no. Their effectiveness is minuscule at best really. IMO, their use is being deployed as a mental therapeutic for people to reduce panic and instill a sense of some control among a virus for which there's little to none beyond isolation or social distancing. The last 18 months are pretty much the best real-world case study on masking. The numbers tell the story of their actual real-world effectiveness. I agree that over the course of minutes, the air will be filled with a viral load that is then dispersed through normal air currents in a room and it's HVAC System. Thus why the silly practice of some to wear them when walking in a restaurant but not wearing them at a table is just that, silly.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Their effectiveness is minuscule at best really. IMO, their use is being deployed as a mental therapeutic for people to reduce panic and instill a sense of some control among a virus for which there's little to none beyond isolation or social distancing.

Thus why the silly practice of some to wear them when walking in a restaurant but not wearing them at a table is just that, silly.
    FACTS!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    FACTS!!!!!!!!
    I second this.....

A example to the effectiveness of these blue light weight maskes the majority wear...... Spray paint a object with a mask on then take the mask off and look in the mirror and tell me how effective they are. And in comparison paint particles are massive.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd relay this story, hit our news sites yesterday. Late last month we had our AFL Grand Final, sort of like your Super Bowl but smaller, and they play Australian Rules Football. This is normally held in Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, our second most populace state. But the had a bad Delta outbreak that was getting worse. So they moved it over to Perth, the capital of Western Australia, whose borders are basically closed to any region with Covid and they have basically had no locally transmitted cases.

So there were these 2 guys from Melbourne , their team was playing in the grand final, which they hadn't done for over 50 years, so they just had to be there for the game. They flew out of Melbourne to Darwin, at the top end of Australia, then they forged some documents to show they'd been living in Darwin for months, then flew to Perth and went to the game. Their team won, and they got themselves into the locker rooms to celebrate with their team. They got caught on the television coverage, someone recognised them, knew that they shouldn't be there, and reported them. They were arrested before they could leave Perth, they've now been convicted and sentenced to 10 months in prison, but will be released after 3 with good behaviour.

They may not be saying it now, but in a few years they'll probably say it was worth it.

And here's the thing, they didn't have Covid, they tested negative, but they came from Melbourne where it's running rampant at the moment.

Western Australia is showing that they take their zero Covid state very seriously. They have no lockdown, obviously, and I'm pretty sure they have no mask mandate. Go where you want, do what you want.

Sorry for the long post, just giving an example of how places are doing things differently.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Tasmania thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had someone that came from Sydney to Tasmania escape there 14 day quarantine
    Due to a security breach and also being a numb nut! Was found by the police and fined $3,000 everyone he came into contact with have tested negative.

10. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone saying masks don't work are simply choosing to turn a blind eye to the science.

Do face masks work? Here are 49 scientific studies that explain why they do | KXAN Austin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koj11 View Post
    Anyone saying masks don't work are simply choosing to turn a blind eye to the science.

Do face masks work? Here are 49 scientific studies that explain why they do | KXAN Austin
    Or they work in a lab

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

N95 filters down to 3 microns covid is 1.5 microns. So what exactly are the socks we put on our face doing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Or they work in a lab

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    I think wearing a mask gives you more protection than not wearing anything. Just because it's not 100% effective, doesn't mean you shouldn't wear one.

One thing to avoid though, don't burp when you're wearing one, it's disgusting.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast