autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on the Covid-19 situation?

TIRED of it for sure. As of Monday we are now required to wear masks at work. And at all local businesses. Talk about brutal at work. The masks were not made to be worn 8 hours. Hair cut. Not going to happen. Not till the places open. Then I figure it will be impossible to get in! I really think the aftermath is going to be worse that the problem. They are shooting to reopen things here May 8th. Flip side, glad to still have a job and my health.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought? I think a lot of people are genuinely scared. For health reasons, for economic reasons, and the fact that we just don’t know. I can’t watch the news, this idea that scare tactics is why people tune in, is misguided. We have politicians standing on 2 very distinct sides of the issue. That in itself is dangerous. I’m more of a purple person when it comes to politics, I do believe the first order of government is to protect the people they govern, in many different ways. Do I think this was handled properly from the get go? Not at all. I’m not sure there were any good actors at the onset. No good info from foreign countries, a President who holds grudges, and has personal vendettas with governors who don’t like him. And other politicians who ignore their own mistakes, and missteps through this whole thing, to blame a President for their faults. If ever there was a time for some common ground, to unite a very politically divided country it was now. Instead both sides dug in deeper for their own political agendas. I hope that when we start to see some light after this, we are more self sufficient as a nation, realize our current for profit health care system is broken, TERM LIMITS!!! And a strong viable third party emerges that cares about growing the economy, understands that sometimes people need help, and bad people with the intention of killing mass amounts of people are going to try it no matter what laws are the books. And as we roll into election season, this notion of mud slinging has to end. No one is perfect, heck, if you checked my browser history, you would think I’m some deranged perverted lunatic, but I’m actually a pretty awesome law abiding citizen. Be safe out there, and if you do encounter people that don’t share your view on this subject one way or another, it’s ok, I think we are all a bit scared, the reasons may be different, but to each person they are valid. Be safe everyone

4. Likes oneheadlite, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have been extremely fortunate so far throughout this whole ordeal, out of work but still have our jobs(should be returning soon) and health. It feels a bit like navigating a minefield at times when out in public, although people do seem to have a generally positive attitude(if you want to call distancing and fear of one another positivity). Trying to limit trips out and about, groceries twice a week and that’s about it. Wife and I are going on daily walks as weather permits, doing home workouts 5 times a week as a way to try and stay sane when cooped up in our 600 sq. ft. studio apartment.

It’s worrying times all around but I agree with the general consensus, the fallout will be worse than the virus. We’ve all lost money, some will have lost friends family or people we know, some people will lose their houses or due to the markets, retirement income, and that’s just the stuff we know has or will happen. My parents are retired and I’m sure had a nice nest egg planned for the rest of their years, they wanted to travel a bit, really enjoy the down time of retirement, but this damned thing may have put an end to those dreams for a few years. My wife and I will be moving in a few months to Orlando where they live so I can be there for them physically and financially if need be and I really won’t miss an opportunity to spend more time with them.

There has to be plans to build the economy up in the midst of all this, I say midst because we know this isn’t going anywhere and until vaccines or a real treatment comes about, we can’t shut the world down for 18-24 months. The stimulus check is fine and dandy and it may see some people through a couple expenses if they have small bills etc(my wife and I being “working poor” means it’ll help us more than say somebody with a decent income). Businesses, restaurants specifically need to have a game plan to come out of this, there’a quite a few in our little downtown area that have been closed or open only a few hours a day. What’s the saying, “crisis brings opportunity?” I really hope that we, as a nation(its people and not it’s government!) and as a world, can come out of this strong and rebound in the coming months, because this will come and go in waves as it travels.

Stay safe and healthy AG family!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

All depends what you determine to be a credible source of information but at the end of the day I really don't think anybody *KNOWS* anything for sure. Educated guesses, models, statistics...can find info to support any of the the various positions and a bit humbling by the time it's all over, however it turns out.

Mankind: "We have created arguably the greatest civilization in all of History. Our Science & Medicine are unparalleled, our Technology grows with each passing day.

We have invested eleventy-hundred trillion dollars to insure an efficient, convenient, enjoyable society with nearly unlimited freedom of movement and free-will...look at all we have accomplished!!!"

Mother Nature: "Yeah? Watch this..." 😱

Well, unless you believe this was a deliberate attack that is.

Personally hasn't really interrupted my World much that is 'lastingly significant' (inconveniences don't count)...YET; still going to work each day although wife who works at Dental Office is at home as they are 'emergencies only' at this point. She's been on short term disability since February 10th for other "Year 2020 Sucks" medical reasons and was supposed to return to work 04/14/2020 but is now on the public dole (unemployment). The cessation of all but the most vital medical procedures is delaying the completion of her full recovery which sucks, but that suckage is far less than what others have to deal with both financially and mentally.

Regardless of whether you believe that the whole affair is a conspiracy, overblown or very real you better believe that this whole 'Era' is gonna leave a mark on nearly everyone on the planet, the question is just to what degree it affects each individual. I'm already hearing radio ads from our local Personal Injury ambulance-chasing law firms to call them if you've had a loved one pass away in a Nursing Home....methinks personal injury cases are gonna skyrocket for a large variety of reasons.

Folks are already getting a little nutty after having to self quarantine for a month (perhaps the somewhat simple-minded get bored rather quickly when left with little more than their own thoughts for more than 3 days)...was a rally in AZ I believe where protesters were giving nurses a hard time for perpetuating the panic via their fear of getting the Virus due to, you know, being around sick people all the time.

There's gonna be some serious Monday-Morning quarterbacking this thing when (and if) it 'washes through' and plenty of blame to go around, warranted or merely perceived. Definitely one for the history books and it's looking like it'll be a chapter as opposed to a paragraph.

Plus side is you get to see some really heroic and caring folks doing some amazing things so it does restore a somewhat flagging faith in humanity. Unfortunately, there is no real place left anymore to get any truly unbiased news/information so one is left to form their own opinions based on incomplete or misconstrued information.

A historically interesting time for sure.

And it doesn't help that it's still snowing in Ohio at the end of April.

7. Likes PaulMys, rangerbay, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on the Covid-19 situation? In terms of Health, Jobs, Economy, the Future and anything else related?

Hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and doing well..
    Health wise, no doubt a concern for some but not all. IMO the numbers will eventually show it's not that deadly but still pretty contagious. Ohio numbers are pretty clear and these are just the "confirmed" cases. Once we add in the results from the antibody test they will be even further watered down. Sure there are those that are elderly/underlying dangerous conditions that need to be careful but overall, I'm not worried.

Confirmed Cases 14117

Deaths| Age Group| Risk/Percent
    0 Under 20 0.00%
    0 Under 30 0.00%
    3 Under 40 0.02%
    10 Under 50 0.07%
    37 Under 60 0.26%
    99 Under 70 0.70%
    167 Under 80 1.18%
    294 80 and older 2.08%

Job wise, it's horrible. These aren't just "jobs" or hourly wage workers impacted. This time everyone from doctors to lawyers to hourly wage earners are impacted. Good news is most will come right back as momentum picks up and given the economy as a whole was doing great that should happen without much issue. People just need to back off on the fear mongering IMO. Many states are due to open back up so hopefully the recovery begins soon.

Going forward I think many will be much more aware of their surroundings and health related things. Most all the underlying conditions are chronic conditions that individuals can control through eating better and generally staying healthy. I don't have much faith they will change their ways but then that's on them. Likewise, hopefully most begin to realize the importance of being financially prepared too. 6-12 months of savings for such rainy days is key and living at a higher level is fine so long as you have room to cut-back should it be needed.

Lastly, going forward, Covid is here to stay. It's a virus and like any other, we aren't likely to eradicate it so it's just a matter of preparing the healthcare systems for the added load they may see. Thankfully we won't be caught off guard should and when the next time it comes back so that hopefully translates into not having to do this again. I for one won't be happy nor support it and I don't think the public at large will either.

Hope all is well with everyone here.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel entertainment industry is going to be changed for a long time. Dining included. I think most other industries will be fine if we get up and running next 45 days.

I don’t like to speculate where it comes from and I hope our government isn’t spending too much time right now on it either. Bat’s, Iran, China.... Mexican beer.... it’s here and figuring out were it came from ain’t gonna make go away.

Once we got it licked then figure out where it came from to avoid it from happening again.

Wish i woulda invested in Clorox and Purell in December.

Stay safe and positive y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes TTQ B4U, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find interesting is nobody seems to be offering significant incentives to spend money. Don’t get me wrong, there are a few offering some sales and special deals; but for the most part business as usual for most online sales. Some people have money to spend. Throw them a bone & they just might.

What I also find interesting is nobody is really discussing what’s being done to eradicate what’s believed to be the source, unsanitary food conditions in China. One would think to prevent this from reoccurring in the future with something even worse you would want to address the source.

I’m not the type to believe in conspiracy theories & what not, but this does seem to set precedent for government control. I don’t think this will be the last “stay at home” order we will see in our lives. My guess is you’ll see various “experts” urging another quarantine for whatever infection going around in the coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I’m not the type to believe in conspiracy theories & what not, but this does seem to set precedent for government control. I don’t think this will be the last “stay at home” order we will see in our lives. My guess is you’ll see various “experts” urging another quarantine for whatever infection going around in the coming years.
    what will be interest is how society reacts next time. crying wolf isn't doing anyone any favors. I for one am not going to just lay down and believe them. Never have. Nor will I just lay down and obey their orders. We keep our family safe but I'm not going to say we are abiding by all their silly mandates. I don't need to go out to a store to get my haircut or ask our governor for permission to host a fireside chat or morning coffee with friends. If the numbers actually made sense I'd see it differently but the reality is not matching what they coverage has been and it's been fishy from day one.

we are careful and we protect our elderly family but pretending a cloth mask is going to help protect you or those around you is just silly and that's not just me stating that. We have 3 MD's in the family and they a have said that it's complete garbage. It's simply to further the agenda of brainwashing people with fear and a false sense of security and bring more compliance overall. If you have covid, the virus particles will pass right through the mask as micron size of a virus is far smaller than a few layers of cloth. It's like gun free zone laws, etc...fake security in the minds of others.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Likes mbkite, Jayfro, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read all opinions above, and I agree that this is a highly contagious virus, but the death tolls are not really warranting the mass panic perpetuated by the government(s).

I also agree about this being a sort of "conformity check" to see how effective a Mass-Hysteria campaign can be.

But, I disagree that this will bring more jobs back to our country by ending the moronic out-sourcing. Why? Because there are Trillion dollar companies that stand to lose a few dollars by doing this, and that is NOT going to happen.
    These companies spend millions in lobbying (i.e. buying) politicians, and bringing good paying jobs back to the US would cut into their already insane profits.

Another thing for people to fear is the unleashing of Big Banks on the public when this over. Any forbearance plan made with these vultures will be IMMEDIATELY demanded in FULL in one lump sum at the end of the forbearance. Not tacked onto the end of the loan.

Will people who have been laid-off have this money? Of course not.
    Will these scumbags who charge about 250% interest on a typical mortgage care? Oh Hell no. F you, PAY me.

All of these things are at the real root of what is wrong with this country, and why our forefathers had to actually defeat a similar system with armed revolution. Just sayin'.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes FUNX650, DMiglio, Cammy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I just thought of with PaulMys’ (a member from the hardest hit state) post is the media. It’s one thing to sue the country where this originated and go after the government, but what about the role the media is playing? I understand headlines, clickbait, attention grabbing statements and that many are run by government parties to push their agendas. I wonder though, when will they be held accountable for that? When is it reporting facts and when is it reporting exaggerations? When is it directly quoting somebody and when is it add-libbing a few words here or there or purposely misquoting and taking out of context?

Idk if I read it on this forum or not, somebody wrote, we should remember that many investigative journalists do this exact thing, report facts, quotes, give full context and present evidence etc. literally citing all their info. That may be true but that’s just Mary Poppins singing “A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down,” while I’m lulled into submission. That doesn’t represent mass media unfortunately..
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

18. Likes rangerbay liked this post
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast