autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Software Experts? - ZOOM is Malware?

Software Experts? - ZOOM is Malware?

So yesterday I downloaded ZOOM software so Yancy and I can do some form of online webinar. This morning, I scan a few of my favorite news sites and start finding articles that there are software problems with the ZOOM software.

I figure some of our members are probably pretty savvy in this area, so would anyone want to take it upon themselves to read some of the info I've shared below and give us their opinion?

Here's the first article....

A quick look at the confidentiality of ZOOM meetings

The above is a long but in-depth look at the ZOOM software, if you scroll down to bullet item #5 here's a summary,

5. Conclusion: Not Suited for Secrets

Zoom’s product is user-friendly and has rapidly grown its user base during the COVID-19 pandemic by “just working.” Zoom’s fast growing user base, combined with marketing language around encryption and security, have attracted many sensitive conversations. This sudden popularity likely puts the product in the crosshairs of government intelligence agencies and cyber criminals.

Questionable Crypto & Encryption Keys Sent to Beijing

Unfortunately for those hoping for privacy, the implementation of call security in Zoom may not match its exceptional usability. We determined that the Zoom app uses non-industry-standard cryptographic techniques with identifiable weaknesses. In addition, during multiple test calls in North America, we observed keys for encrypting and decrypting meetings transmitted to servers in Beijing, China.

An app with easily-identifiable limitations in cryptography, security issues, and offshore servers located in China which handle meeting keys presents a clear target to reasonably well-resourced nation state attackers, including the People’s Republic of China.

Our report comes amidst a number of other recent research findings and lawsuits identifying other potential security and privacy concerns with the Zoom app. In addition, advocacy groups have also pointed out that Zoom lacks a transparency report, a critical step towards addressing concerns arising when companies have access to sensitive user data. Zoom has just stated (April 2nd, 2020) that it will release such a report within 90 days.

As a result of these troubling security issues, we discourage the use of Zoom at this time for use cases that require strong privacy and confidentiality, including:

1. Governments worried about espionage
    2. Businesses concerned about cybercrime and industrial espionage
    3. Healthcare providers handling sensitive patient information
    4. Activists, lawyers, and journalists working on sensitive topics

For those using Zoom to keep in touch with friends, hold social events, or organize courses or lectures that they might otherwise hold in a public or semi-public venue, our findings should not necessarily be concerning.

For those who have no choice but to use Zoom, including in contexts where secrets may be shared, we speculate that the browser plugin may have some marginally better security properties, as data transmission occurs over TLS.

Worst yet - according to

So while Yancy and I don't fall into any of the above 4 categories, I don't like the idea of having software on my [brand new] laptop sending Autogeek's info to anywhere.

Also - can't find it at this moment, but I read somewhere that it cannot be completely uninstalled.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Software Experts? - ZOOM is Malware

Thanks for this info Mike. Will be doing some research on this as well. Crazy/scary times with all this 'new fangled technology' nowadays.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Mike Phillips

And this article by Forbes on alternatives....

Zoom Alternatives: 5 Options For People Who Care About Security And Privacy

I'm all about doing what I can on the education side of our industry but I'm wishing I would have held off on downloading the ZOOM software by one day. At least until the smoke clears.

Mike Phillips

Just did a Google search using these search terms,

If you scroll down a ways, past the normal "how to uninstall software" type articles, then you start to find this type of thing,

Why You Should Uninstall Zoom App Right Now?

How to delete Zoom - Tom's Guide

And after reading the guide on TomsGuide.com, I'm following his how-to steps and removing it.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for sharing, hope to see everyone soon

Mike Phillips

Just to update,

After researching, I found out that the software is not downloaded until you Join Meeting.

All I did so far was to create an account on the Zoom website like I was asked. So nothing on my laptop.

I did Terminate Account like shared on TomsGuide.com

Everyone can do their own research and decide what's best for them, but until the security issues and the information sharing issues are cleared up and the software is proven safe, I'm not using it.

Mike Phillips

Google bans use of ZOOM on employee laptops

Looks like Skynet doesn't "trust" that it might be being spied on.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough to just say we won’t use it. The schools are teaching remotely via Zoom. The company I work for also uses that (in addition to Microsoft Teams) so it’s installed on personal and business computers
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

There was a story on the news here in NY recently that said they were terminating the online schooling using ZOOM because of "serious security issues".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast