autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Here's what SPAM looks like

Normally in the morning, and a few times on-the-fly each day, including weekends and at night, I check the Admin Panel for new pending accounts. Each new account here on the AGO forum is looked at by a real human being to determine if they are a real human being or a spammer.

There are a number of different member types on any forum, for example if you're a member of this forum your category is Registered Users. After filling out the registration form, your account goes into a group called,

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

That is, before a new member can get any further in the approval process, after submitting the registration form, they then have to check their e-mail for the verification e-mail our forum software sends them and in that e-mail is a link they need to click on to prove they registered with a real e-mail address.

Spammers do click the verification link and then end up in a queue called,

Users Awaiting Moderation

This is the queue I check for real people and spammers. I approve the real people and turn the spammers over to StopForumSpam.com

For those that don't click the verification link in the verification e-mail, they stay in the Users Awaiting Email Confirmation queue. This morning when I check on this group, here's what I found. This is the normal amount of spammers in this pending queue each day.

Look at the forum nicknames, they are almost always gobbledygook and the e-mail addresses are pretty much what you see in this screenshot, there are a lot more different usual suspect domains PLUS some spammers use hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.

And here's the normal give-away they are a spammer, instead of using an actual number for a Zip Code, be it here in the U.S.A. or another country, (we have people join from around the world), they also enter gobbledygook.

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see what I see and what takes place behind the scenes of any well-run forum.

2. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's what SPAM looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Normally in the morning, and a few times on-the-fly each day, including weekends and at night, I check the Admin Panel for new pending accounts. Each new account here on the AGO forum is looked at by a real human being to determine if they are a real human being or a spammer.

There are a number of different member types on any forum, for example if you're a member of this forum your category is Registered Users. After filling out the registration form, your account goes into a group called,

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

That is, before a new member can get any further in the approval process, after submitting the registration form, they then have to check their e-mail for the verification e-mail our forum software sends them and in that e-mail is a link they need to click on to prove they registered with a real e-mail address.

Spammers do click the verification link and then end up in a queue called,

Users Awaiting Moderation

This is the queue I check for real people and spammers. I approve the real people and turn the spammers over to StopForumSpam.com

For those that don't click the verification link in the verification e-mail, they stay in the Users Awaiting Email Confirmation queue. This morning when I check on this group, here's what I found. This is the normal amount of spammers in this pending queue each day.

Look at the forum nicknames, they are almost always gobbledygook and the e-mail addresses are pretty much what you see in this screenshot, there are a lot more different usual suspect domains PLUS some spammers use hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.

And here's the normal give-away they are a spammer, instead of using an actual number for a Zip Code, be it here in the U.S.A. or another country, (we have people join from around the world), they also enter gobbledygook.

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see what I see and what takes place behind the scenes of any well-run forum.

Check my username Here's what SPAM looks like️ LOL.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Like the Monty Python guy said "I don't like Spam!".

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the purpose of joining this forum for a spammer do they just post commercial stuff for there own products?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    So what is the purpose of joining this forum for a spammer do they just post commercial stuff for there own products?
    Precisely.

7. Thanks iantubello thanked for this post