autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

They're Even Out of Toothpicks ...

The wife and I ventured out to the store late yesterday afternoon. We generally stock up on things but needed a few fresh items, etc.

WOW. Stores everywhere are wiped clean. Of everything. People are buying stuff just for the sake of it, even if it's something they don't need.

I needed some toothpicks for a project. Not a box of toothpicks to be found anywhere, and we went to six different "superstores" (Walmart, Meijer, etc.) on our adventure.

Miraculously, we found a gallon of milk at one store, some fresh lettuce at another, and a huge display of nice fresh asparagus at another. Even managed to snag 4 cans of beer ... apparently other people do not like Foster's in the "oil can". Liquor stores are another story ... completely wiped out.

This is gonna be the new normal for a while too. I talked to a couple store managers who both said that even if they could get the inventory to replenish their stores, they don't have enough regular manpower to stock it all back on to the shelves. One manager said if he had the inventory and started right away, and had no interruptions, it would take several weeks to "rebuild" the store to where it once was.

2. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: They're Even Out of Toothpicks ...

Unwarranted mass panic by the brain-dead, easily influenced masses.

SMH...........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes Bobh59, Frank70, Hammer77, BudgetPlan1, dman68 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm getting a lot of business out of this. Customers been looking to get there car sanitized and cleaned. I've booked 4 $899 details today alone so I'm gonna shut my mouth about this lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Autogeekonline mobile app

6. Likes Mdjas, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty absurd. I've been wanting isopropyl alcohol to wipe down paint after polishing etc and realized that's probably not gonna happen for at least a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, things like mass panic buying only make it worse for everyone. Eventually everyone will be screwed, even if they weren't an initial panicker.

This is why people should keep a stash of basic supplies. It's been recommended for years now, esp. in lieu of disasters.

I/we have done so for some time now. Basically, we "super-sized" all of our food pantry and house-hold supplies to the point of where we always have a comfortable "buffer" of everything that we normally use. When we need something, we take it out of this "buffer" and always replace it, keeping the "buffer" full.

We didn't go and buy this stuff all at once. We started with an initial supply of course, but after that we built it all up buying an item here and there, esp. when something is on sale, etc. We of course, rotate stock, and when we use something out of the stash, then make sure to replace it. Also, whenever we buy something date-sensitive to put in to the stash, we always make sure to check the product date in order to make sure it has a good amount of "lifetime" left.

This takes a little time and effort to do, but once you establish a system, it's barely much work. It's actually no extra work for us now that we have been doing it so long. And really just a few bucks here and there, aside from initial $ investment. You do need a little room/space, but thankfully we have lots of storage in our home and a basement. In addition to our kitchen pantry, we have a couple shelving units in the basement full of canned goods and another couple shelving units full of paper products, cleaning supplies, etc. Upstairs in addition to the bathrooms' various storage (cabs, etc.), we also have a shelving unit in a utility room dedicated to health, hygiene, etc. products.

We also always store a good selection of seeds for our gardening.

Last but not least, I keep 50 gal. of water on-hand in 1 gal. jugs, stored in the basement. Learned my lesson 12 yrs ago when we had a wind derecho that knocked out power (and thus water) and other things for 4 weeks during the dog days of summer heat. The jugs of water are what we rotate the most, that keeps it fresher. I purposely store a brand of water that we drink, and it comes in 1gal jugs which I found to be the most convenient for several reasons/uses.

9. Likes PaulMys, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG Really? Went grocery shopping today. You would have thought the world was ending! They were PACKED!!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Dinner at Grimaldis Pizza at 6:00pm tonight, normally an hour wait at least. Tonight, plenty of tables available!

Went to the movies last night at 6:30, only about 20 people in the theater, when we left at 8:45 the parking lot was a quarter full! Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

12. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was able to go into my local liquor store about 2 hours ago and buy my favorite tequila and their were a few extra bottles of it. The shelves were stockec from A-Z, booze to wine. And it's a pretty big liquor store.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

14. Likes PaulMys, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The sky is falling

16. Likes Misterpaul, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For us around here its day to day...yesterday stores have nothing and today they're stocked liquer store has been fine thank god since kids are out of school for 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.