autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage floor paint / coating question

Does anyone have recommendations for garage floor PAINT?! I know paint is the worst option for looks, durability and longevity, especially in NE Wisconsin! However, a professional epoxy job just isn't in the budget.

We purchased a 20 year old house two years ago. The previous owners painted the floor with some sort of gray paint that [of course] is flaking in the high traffic areas. I would love to have the floor professionally epoxied but we have other priorities for that money. I researched and watched video after video on doing epoxy myself. I am open to that, but it looks like my chances of flaking etc. are pretty good and I don't want to put that much time, effort and money into something that is going to be inferior, anyway.

I've decided that I don't mind throwing a few gallons of paint down every other year or so. Anything will be better than how it looks now. There are areas in the low traffic areas that have held up pretty well. So, down the road, I should only have to touch up the flakey areas.

So all that said, has anyone used any paint that isn't the worst?

BTW, the garage is three-car with an off-shoot workshop/storage area. Price for pro epoxy was $4K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage floor paint / coating question

I’ll suggest to use slip-resistant epoxy
    paints for garage floors; such as: ones
    that’ll meet ADA standards.

”Rust-Oleum” is one such brand of paint.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ill make this quick

I used rustoleum - Read all the reviews; all the good and all the bad. Everything inside me said don't use it and spend more for other kits. I was stubborn.
    I grinded the concrete floor (it had LAYERS of old paint from previous home owner) - Followed all the steps properly, I promise you I was meticulous.
    etched, pressure washed, etc etc. Let the product sit for 5 days without driving or even foot traffic. 1 week later, hot tire peel. I was pretty bummed man.
    I did contact rustoleum, explained everything and sent pics - they sent me a small amount of touch up to fix it. I have yet to use just because I am working on other things w the new home.

My neighbor decided to do it after he saw mine, but went with another kit
    reviews are much better, bit pricier but overall better. Looks great.
    Epoxy Flooring Kits | Epoxy Coatings & Paint for all Surfaces | Epoxy Coat

Thats all I got. Best of luck!
    -Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ34 View Post
    Ill make this quick

I used rustoleum - Read all the reviews; all the good and all the bad. Everything inside me said don't use it and spend more for other kits. I was stubborn.
    I grinded the concrete floor (it had LAYERS of old paint from previous home owner) - Followed all the steps properly, I promise you I was meticulous.
    etched, pressure washed, etc etc. Let the product sit for 5 days without driving or even foot traffic. 1 week later, hot tire peel. I was pretty bummed man.
    I did contact rustoleum, explained everything and sent pics - they sent me a small amount of touch up to fix it. I have yet to use just because I am working on other things w the new home.
    You did all this ^^^
    just in order to paint the garage floor?

Gee Whillikers!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I had my garage floor painted three times to achieve the black and white checkerboard pattern I desired. It was a big undertaking chalking and taping off the squares on the floor of a three car garage to paint the black squares over the white floor and I had a contractor do it. It was worth it though, 11 years later it still looks good!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of building a new 30 x 60 shop. When it's done, i'm going with a concrete sealer instead of an epoxy or paint. I'm going to use this... PS100 Fluorinated Water, Oil & Salt Repellent WB Penetrating Sealer (5 gal.) - Concrete Sealers USA and install it myself. All you need is a sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going with RaceDeck. Price is in the same range as a professional epoxy job or NatureStone, is more permanent (I believe), and I can pick it up and take it with me if I move.

I'm in the planning stages now.