autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Precious metal investing

I knew an old acquaintance years ago who was buying 1-1/2oz of Krugerrand a week and did such for quite a long time. Yeah, you read that right, a week, not a month.

He'd show them to me, and I have to say, how I wished I had the money to "play" like that!

Have no idea what he done with all of them, but the value has at least doubled since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    I’m an index fund investor. I pay basically zero management fees. Fidelity actually has zero fee funds. They track the indexes exactly. Vanguard is about 0.03%.

For a hobby, I get what you’re doing. I used to collect coins and I liked them.

For an investment, not so much. There are many better options.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The reasons for buying stocks and completelly different than buying silver or gold.

The goal for stocks is to make money.

The goal for precious metal is to convert fiat currency into hard currency that do not depreciate. It is possible to make money if you sell when there is a spike in the price, like in 2012, but in general, the prices are stable on the long term. The fluctuation is small when you look from month to month. Of course there are exceptions, like what is currently happening with Palladium that went up 20% in the last month alone and 67% in the past year. But those occurrences are rare. Of course if I had purchased Palladium when it was at a much lower price, I would be selling right now with a big smile on my face

As for stock, every time I have purchased some I was taken for a ride by crook brokers or the industry.

3 years ago, AMD was coming out with the new series of processor code named Rysen. I knew from various sources those would be super competitive with Intel's processor and should revive that company (AMD) that was slowly dying from the previous processor line they released almost a decade ago. So I purchased AMD stocks. The processors came out and were a big success, the market shares of AMD tripped in the first few weeks of the release. Meanwhile the stock prices kept falling and I was loosing money hand over fist. That is when I realised the market was completely controlled by the big players and actual company values had no longer anything to do with the stock price. I finally sold after loosing 50% of my money. It took almost a year of crushing the market before the stock rose to the price point I had paid and it has tripped since then. And other example is the movie the big short. All the properties held in the bonds were defaulting and the bonds's price were going up. Complete and total scam. If you choose to invest in those fake instruments, that is up to you but for me, it sounds like a very bad idea. I guess EFTs of the entire market are less risky, but still...

Last time I invested was for my retiment plans. I purchased a bunch of dividend stock that were paying good dividends every years (AT&T, Coke, etc), the broker was charging me interest fees on my own money I had invested. I am in Canada and was purchasing US stocks. So what they did is they did not convert my funds to US Dollars. They were lending me the US dollars at a 25% interest rate and were keeping my money in an account that paid no interest. I noticed it a year later when I did my tax return. When I called them they said I had to do a conversion to avoid that... very convenient. I will never, ever buy stocks again.

So as I mentioned earlier, precious metals are not for everyone and there is manipulation in that market as well, but the difference is that it's not made up paper stuff that can vanish if a large enough group decides it. I have the physical metal in my possession and it has intrinsic value on it's own. Very similar to real estate, they may destroy the market but you still have the building and can still sell it or rent it. Physical assets are much better than paper ones.

Every time there is a bubble, it gets worse. I don't know if you have see what Dalio did. He took a very big option about the market failing in March. It's an edge to protect his stock position, but still, it's scary to see. If I was in stock right now, I would very likely be selling before the #### hits the fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I knew an old acquaintance years ago who was buying 1-1/2oz of Krugerrand a week and did such for quite a long time. Yeah, you read that right, a week, not a month.

He'd show them to me, and I have to say, how I wished I had the money to "play" like that!

Have no idea what he done with all of them, but the value has at least doubled since then.
    Are you talking about Silver or Gold Krugerrands? Silver ones are very affordable. Depending when that was you are talking about 10-20$ each. So 20 to 50$ per week. Nothing crazy. If you are talking about the gold ones, then that is different... probably 1000-1500$ per week... I wish I could afford that LOL

The one thing people don't understand about these coins is that they are money, real money. So you are not so much buying them as exchanging one form of money to an other.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a new video up on my youtube channel explaining the basics of precious metal investing. If you guys are curious about how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

At least stocks, mutual funds, and Index funds are valued on something real. IE: a company building wealth by making something good or doing a useful service. Gold and silver (and other items that are simply dug from the ground) have artificial value depending on peoples feelings about shiny things. DUDE you dont want to invest in stocks cause they can lose value then you must think that gold has never lost money? LOL Yer funny. Im glad though that you like what you are investing in that is important. Also an emergency fund is different than investing, the emergency fund is there to secure your investment money. If something happens and you remove money from your investments you are losing the interest it would gain if you had an emergency fund and left the investments to do what they are supposed to do (gain value). Maybe you are new at this financial stuff I dont know.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

6. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mutual fund that mimics the Nasadq is up 125% plus or so in less than 5 years. No way has gold done that, and silver has been a dog for years. My fund USNQX has less than a .75 % fee and is whats called a NTF, No Load fund.

When I first purchased original shares it was $8.48 per share, it's $25.58 now. That's a mutual fund.

Last year at this time the nasdaq dropped to 6200ish, it's at 9388 now. That's 33.85% in 12 months.

I took $125K invested it myself in my IRA in 2015, it's $229,500 now. So I have practically doubled my money in 5 years. Has gold or silver done that?

Yeah I have rode some ups or down, but I'm way up right now. And I have paid little to no fees.

I bought Apple at $90.00 take a look at it now. LOL..........that's a gold stock bro!

$18,000 investment, I'm up $45,000!!!!!

Look at a 5 year chart on silver. It's scary. If you bought it at $20 3 years or so ago in 2016 you would still be in the losing column.

Silver was $14 oz in 2016 and it was $14 oz in 2018/2019.

If you put $10 grand in USNQX Nasdaq 100 no load mutual fund 5 years ago, well you'd have at least $20K.

The bottom line is diversification.

And precious metals should be at the very bottom of the list of diversification.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

And precious metals should be at the very bottom of the list of diversification.
    Its exactly the OPPOSITE of diversified lol. Its ONE item, if it goes down yer down. If one of the stocks in your fund go down or even go to 0 you still could be up over all.

Also how did you put $125k into an IRA in one year? The max back then was $5k I thought?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

10. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called a roll over LOL :-)

Left my company, rolled over 401K into traditional IRA.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

12. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    There is a youtube channel where the guy pours silver during a live stream, if memory serves the channel name is Silvers Dragons. I watched 2 of those live pours and it's very tempting to purchase one Not as an investment but just for the cool aspect of it

For coins, you have to decide if you want to be a stacker (buy the coins and bars for the metal value) or a collector (buy in the hope the items will become wanted and increase in value) or a mix of the two. My next video touches on that a little bit. Me, I am a stacker but I am also making a collection of bullion coins with no collector value. It allows me to make a hobby out of the investing. Loose a little bit of money doing that, the coins usually cost 2 to 5$ more than an equivalent bar, but that's ok, I get a lot of fun doing it so I don't mind the expense.

Can you give me the links to the artists you follow on Instagram?

I plan to get into gold this year too. I think I will start with a 1/4 ounce Maple Leaf.... will see
    I enjoy watching the live videos of pour artists. They definitely create some amazing pieces. There's a bunch of them on Instagram too that do live pours. I find the silver community to be awesome.

If you want to see the most insane poured silver collection fallow @capt_coda

These are great pour artists on Instagram. some have been pouring for years and some are just starting out. Very interesting to see the different styles and what they can create.

@mutinymetals
    @wickedsickrelics
    @mooswolfemetals
    @baycitybullion
    @vollmerpouredsilver
    @x_thebear_x
    @x_metals
    @mkbarzandbullion
    @ftf_metals
    @ffc_texas
    @wildpigpours
    @wildwestbullion
    @outlaw_pours
    @pitbullion
    @jp_metals
    @the_locker_mint
    @dead_crow_metals
    @zz_metals
    @silverdragons47
    @lakehousebeach
    @silent.metals.limited
    @emptyo_metals
    @mantismetals47
    @mg_limited1
    @mikemansilver
    @silverwolfmetals
    @polarbearpours
    @backyardbullion
    @bercume_bullion
    @blackhandbullion
    @recklessmetals
    @nugg_lyfe_metals
    @stackerqueen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I enjoy watching the live videos of pour artists. They definitely create some amazing pieces. There's a bunch of them on Instagram too that do live pours. I find the silver community to be awesome.

If you want to see the most insane poured silver collection fallow @capt_coda

These are great pour artists on Instagram. some have been pouring for years and some are just starting out. Very interesting to see the different styles and what they can create.

@mutinymetals
    @wickedsickrelics
    @mooswolfemetals
    @baycitybullion
    @vollmerpouredsilver
    @x_thebear_x
    @x_metals
    @mkbarzandbullion
    @ftf_metals
    @ffc_texas
    @wildpigpours
    @wildwestbullion
    @outlaw_pours
    @pitbullion
    @jp_metals
    @the_locker_mint
    @dead_crow_metals
    @zz_metals
    @silverdragons47
    @lakehousebeach
    @silent.metals.limited
    @emptyo_metals
    @mantismetals47
    @mg_limited1
    @mikemansilver
    @silverwolfmetals
    @polarbearpours
    @backyardbullion
    @bercume_bullion
    @blackhandbullion
    @recklessmetals
    @nugg_lyfe_metals
    @stackerqueen
    Thanks Bobby! That is a lot of stuff to look at!

I think silver pouring is really fun to look at. I have only watched once guy do it so far with silver. It lead me to a video about a guy melting aluminium cans and making aluminium ingots which was fun to watch as well.

Will probably have to make a video about these guys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast