autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum activity

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forum activity

I’m trying to post as many poor written, low quality but picture-filled reviews and show-and-shines as I can lately. Let’s keep this thang goin. FB detail pages look like a jumbled mess to me.

2. Likes PaulMys, spazzz, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the "Easier is better" world we have to live in today, it can sometimes go berserk.

FB (to me) is the downfall of all practical privacy, accountability for words/statements toward others, and just a platform for attacks from cowardly idiots with no real-life repercussions.

I have never even thought about joining this poisonous stew of anonymity.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes TNcoupe, BillE, Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely prefer the forum since it is monitored and it filters out the idiots. There are too many yahoos on the Facebook page that provide nothing but smart aleck remarks.

6. Likes Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    ..... nothing but smart aleck remarks.
    Or as we know it to be today, common FB interaction.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed the same issue but the upside is the huge library of reference material here that takes some effort to search, but is still much more accessible than FB. I think another issue is the numerous detailers who have used the forum to grow their businesses and then disappear. You can still find them on Instagram and other platforms but they no longer active on the forum. I would much rather use forums than other platforms and I have already had a couple shut down in other areas of interest so I am very appreciative of this community.

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I definitely prefer the forum since it is monitored and it filters out the idiots. There are too many yahoos on the Facebook page that provide nothing but smart aleck remarks.
    The one plus to the Facebook group is that there's *always* something going on to read, pertinent or not. I like reading stuff about things I'm interested in no matter if I have to 'self-filter' or not, good info or bad. There are some serious and well monitored groups out there, just gotta find 'em...

Eh, entertainment is where ya find it :lol:

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in....

What I like about a forum is the ability to share detailed information in a way that the human brain can take the information in and use it. You cannot do this with Facebook.

Here' just ONE example.

LOOK --> The ability to format text and insert pictures in-line on a forum - you can't do this on Facebook

I 100% get it that the Facebook interface is easier to use for one-liners and a monkey can share a picture as it requires zero to know intellect. And because most people are on Facebook, they don't have to "join" a forum, they are already "joined" when they created their Facebook account. So to join a Facebook Group all they have to do is >click< on a join button.

Just because something is easy, doesn't make it better.

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes AaronE, acuRAS82, Leon Sidursky, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's an example of how a forum enables you to format text and insert pictures in a linear manner that you cannot do on Facebook.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Choose the appropriate size brush for your rock chips.

Tip...
    If you're new to doing touch-up paint repair I would recommend starting with the Fine tipped brush until you hone your skills. It takes a steady hand to place touch-up paint only in the rock chip. If needed, brace your arm on the body panel you're working on to help steady your hand.

Small rock chips = The Dab & Smear Technique
    Here I'm dabbing touch-up paint into a small rock chip on the driver's side front fender...

After dabbing in the touch-up paint, I take the side of my thumb and briskly and also lightly, wipe my thumb across the paint which levels the chipped area but also creates an ugly smear ON the surrounding paint.

Don't fret... this is okay as this is how the system works. We'll come back and remove the excess touch-up paint off the paint surrounding the chip in the next step. What's important is to,
    A: Get touch-up paint into the chipped area.
    B: Use your thumb to smear and level the paint in the chipped area.

This is a close-up of the above rock chip after I smeared it with my thumb. You can see I smeared it in two directions. Don't do this. Only smear with your thumb once and in one direction. Smearing in two directions won't hurt anything, it just creates a larger smeared area that you'll have to come back and wipe off in the next step.

Dab...

And smear...

Dab...

And smear...

In the below pictures, this is what the smear should look like, this is normal.

Dab...

And smear...

Dab...

And smear...

In the below pictures, this is what the smear should look like, this is normal.

In this extreme close-up shot of the above picture, you can see where I pressed too hard when smearing and removed some of the touch-up paint out of the rock chip area and you can actually see the primer in the middle of the chipped area. No problemo, I just added another tiny dab of touch-up paint. The more you do this the better you get.

Step 3 - Use the SealAct blending solution with the included flat surface microfiber towel to wipe off the excess touch-up paint.

The SealAct is basically going to dissolve the paint so you really don't want to rub hard directly ONTO of the rock chip area.

Instead, focus on the task at hand and GENTLY rub the dampened microfiber towel over the surrounding paint and you'll see with just a little light rubbing the excess paint will disappear off your car's body panel and leach into the microfiber towel. Don't over-rub.

After removing the touch-up paint from the paint surrounding the rock chip give the area a final wipe using a clean, dry microfiber towel to remove any residue streaks for a uniform appearance.

Drying Time
    Before doing this next step you want to wait for the touch-up paint to dry. The instructions say you can wait anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours.

Here's the deal... the longer you wait the better the paint inside the chipped area will have dried and hardened and this is what you want before you start disrupting it by wiping over it.

That said, the loner you wait the more the excess paint will have dried on the paint surrounding the rock chip making it a tick more difficult to remove.

My preference would be to wait for up to an hour to let the touch-up paint fully dry and then just take your time when wiping the surrounding paint as it will come off with a little wiping and a little patience.

Dampen the included flat surface microfiber towel with the SealAct.

Rub the rock chip area with most of the emphasis or pressure on the paint surrounding the rock chipped area.

Give the repaired area a soft wipe with a clean, dry microfiber towel...

Continue working around the car cleaning the excess touch-up paint off of all the repaired areas.

Final Results
    The results are the rock chips are filled in and with the naked eye standing back from your car you can no longer see the unsightly rock chips.

In the below pictures, I've used my camera to take closer shots to show that the repaired areas will not always be 100% invisible to the human eye but without my camera, just standing next to the car, you can not tell where the rock chips were unless you already know where to look.

Light reflection
    When you view the touch-up paint in some of the below pictures, keep in mind they stand out in the picture because the overhead light is reflecting off the surface of the paint. That's how my camera picks up the repair.

Standing by the car
    When you stand by the car and look at the rock chip repairs with your eyes, you really don't see the repairs. Just keep that in mind when viewing the pictures. The Dr. ColorChip Repair Kit works great and I'd recommend it to anyone.

On Autogeek.net

Dr. ColorChip Road Rash Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit

15. Likes PaulMys, spazzz liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's the difference,

You can't share that kind of detailed information in a Facebook post.

You can add your text, then add some pictures but the text is in one place and the pictures are just in a clump of pictures.

Like the saying goes,

It is what it is....

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing this thread is getting a bit more activity than I thought it would gather. Good to see.

18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast