autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DeWalt cordless DA polisher

Hi,

Has anyone managed to attach a smaller backing plate to this Cordless DA polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a proprietary backing plate, not like any of the standard plates. Not to say someone couldn't make one but it's not like anything I've ever seen before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. Thanks jaydan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    It's a proprietary backing plate, not like any of the standard plates. Not to say someone couldn't make one but it's not like anything I've ever seen before.

It's not proprietary at all. This will fit it fine smile.amazon.com/Backer-Pad-Orbital-Sanders/dp/B00PP6TGBI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G6CY3NU470P0&dchild=1&keywords=ry obi+hook+and+loop+backing+pad&qid=1597852282&spref ix=hook+%26+loop+backing+ryobi%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5

toolservicenet.com/dewalt/en/Brand/PORTER-CABLE/OUTDOOR/A6160/A6162/6162A//p/DCM848B]DCM848B

5. Thanks jaydan thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I tested the cordless rotary and cordless orbital polishers and here's what I found,

1. Battery don't last long
    2. Battery takes too long to re-charge

The tools themselves were nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    It's not proprietary at all. This will fit it fine smile.amazon.com/Backer-Pad-Orbital-Sanders/dp/B00PP6TGBI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G6CY3NU470P0&dchild=1&keywords=ry obi+hook+and+loop+backing+pad&qid=1597852282&spref ix=hook+%26+loop+backing+ryobi%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5

toolservicenet.com/dewalt/en/Brand/PORTER-CABLE/OUTDOOR/A6160/A6162/6162A//p/DCM848B]DCM848B

Looking at my polisher and that plate and it won't fit the hole are not the same at all

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys! It's much appreciated.

The exploded diagram from toolservicenet was certainly helpful. The backing plate pattern doesn't appear to conform to any specific standard, though it looks like it may be potentially shared across multiple brands. I did also come across another that may fit, which is intended for another brand called Craftsman. After a bit of Googling around, it seems they both share the same parent company.

There appears to be a number of pads from different manufacturers out there that may fit but they all seem to be 5 inch pads :-(

Perhaps the positioning of the four mounting screws prevent affixing pads of any smaller diameters. I didn't manage to find any smaller options or adapter plates that would work instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaydan View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys! It's much appreciated.

The exploded diagram from toolservicenet was certainly helpful. The backing plate pattern doesn't appear to conform to any specific standard, though it looks like it may be potentially shared across multiple brands. I did also come across another that may fit, which is intended for another brand called Craftsman. After a bit of Googling around, it seems they both share the same parent company.

There appears to be a number of pads from different manufacturers out there that may fit but they all seem to be 5 inch pads :-(

Perhaps the positioning of the four mounting screws prevent affixing pads of any smaller diameters. I didn't manage to find any smaller options or adapter plates that would work instead.
    Danaher is the big dawg in tools it seems ,or at least they used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I tested the cordless rotary and cordless orbital polishers and here's what I found,

1. Battery don't last long
    2. Battery takes too long to re-charge

The tools themselves were nice.

The big advantage that this Dewalt orbital buffer has over the more expensive Flex is I can easily upgrade the batteries to 6amp-hr, 8 amp-hour, or even 12 amp-hour batteries AND use them in my other Dewalt tools. Put a 6 or 8amp-hour battery in this Dewalt buffer and you have a superior buffer compared to the Flex. Plus Dewalt replacement batteries are readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Amazon. Replacement Flex batteries are much more difficult to come by.

11. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Craftsman backer will fit it. Dewalt's parent company - Stanley Black & Decker makes and supplies many different brands.

13. Thanks jaydan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    The big advantage that this Dewalt orbital buffer has over the more expensive Flex is I can easily upgrade the batteries to 6amp-hr, 8 amp-hour, or even 12 amp-hour batteries AND use them in my other Dewalt tools. Put a 6 or 8amp-hour battery in this Dewalt buffer and you have a superior buffer compared to the Flex. Plus Dewalt replacement batteries are readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Amazon. Replacement Flex batteries are much more difficult to come by.
    What does machine weight get up to with the higher capacity batteries? Just curious

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast