autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear UV tint for the windshield

I know the plastics used in dash boards do a lot of out gassing when the car is new. Does anyone know if it’s best to wait 6 months or so before having the film put on the windshield? If for not other reason, it would end up with considerably less cleaning the film. I don’t know anything about the clear UV film on windshields. Any input would be appreciated.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear UV tint for the windshield

I would get the windshield tinted ASAP. The out gassing is going to happen if you have tint film or not on the glass. Just use a safe glass cleaner and you'll be fine.

Just check the laws in your state first. Some states do not allow window tint on front windshields even if it's clear film.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve heard that some states don’t allow any film on the windshield, but how would they know if it’s clear? I think this law is for tinted plastics but it is always best to check.

I agree it’s best to tint windows as soon as possible. Heat is one of the reasons plastics out-gas, so tint will just help stop sun fading, out-gassing is going to occur no matter what you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    I just pulled some illegal tint off which was installed by the same company who did the worst hack job installing a PPF on a bumper cover I have ever seen. Talked to him today. Guy is a real ass, won’t refund any of her money. I called him out on the tint thing he told me I needed to look at the state legislation, claimed it was legal to block 30%. I took his advise. You can block 25% ABOVE THE AS1 line. I guess he may be replacing all the illegal tint. You can put clear UV film on the windshield. On top of this for PPF on just the front bumper cover and tinting the windows he charged her 1450.00. Sees a single women in a new Porche and takes advantage of her.

Post Thanks / Like

It really works! If you get good quality heat rejecting film, the interior will be much cooler as well as your dash/interior will be much less prone to getting bombarded by UV rays.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I have Air80 on my windshield essentially clear film

My complaint is trying to use a sunshade to block even more when parked at work has scratched the film.

Just a real world experience and possibility that may occur to you

I know the stuff works. Don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the dramatic scenario they want you to think if the car is in the sun all day in a parking lot it will still be hot when you get in

I do think it works well when driving with ac on more so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I have Air80 on my windshield essentially clear film

My complaint is trying to use a sunshade to block even more when parked at work has scratched the film.

Just a real world experience and possibility that may occur to you

I know the stuff works. Don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the dramatic scenario they want you to think if the car is in the sun all day in a parking lot it will still be hot when you get in

I do think it works well when driving with ac on more so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the heads up Matt. Just got a new windshield put on and was debating about a clear uv film for it. I was still planning on using my Covercraft sun shade, but from what you said, I'll pass on the clear film and continue to use my shade. Scratches on my front windshield would absolutely drive me bonkers.

8. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after sending him the state legislation on window tinting he’s agreed to give her 400.00 back, I’m going to give him a couple more days to think about it before I go up there. Five years of putting illegal tint on windshields all coming back to get it replaced may put this guy out of business.

The film getting scratched is the main reason I’m thinking let the plastics do most of their out gassing before putting the film on so it’s not getting cleaned all the time while the majority of out gassing is happening. Just like paint, the more you rub it with something the greater the odds of scratches. Glass on the other hand is pretty difficult to scratch.