autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Take Me To Paint And Body Work School

2007 F150, Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
    First of all, if this is not the correct forum for this, please move it.
    About 10-11 years ago, a pecan fell from a tree and put a small chip (about a 1/4" in diameter) in in my roofs paint. I used some chip repair to fill it and all was good. Well, it wasn't. As the years went buy, the chip started getting bigger.
    FF to 2016. The chip was now the size of a quarter. I took it to several P&B shops and they ALL said the same thing, the whole roof needed to be repainted. $300. But, only one was able to do it that week. 4 days later and $300, my roof looked purty again.
    FF again, to present day. There are 3 spots on the very front of the roof near the windshield that have lost its paint and have started to rust. The shop that did the repair is NO MORE. I have no money to get this fixed. BUT, there is a family friend that has 6 years P&B shop experience that is willing to help me out. He only asks that I supply the material and have my son help him. My son can get some of the material I need from the P&B shop Mgr. at the Ford dealership he works at. I will be buying the Dupli-Color paint (code DX-M7083A-Dark Blue Pearl), primer, and clear coat, from Advance and NAPA, or any local paint shop that carries Dupli-Color spray paints.
    Okay, before I go on, this Q&A part is for the professional paint and body shop guys here. No offense to the exp. DIY'ers. I just want to be educated by the REAL PROS here. First, he can only do the repair with spray paint cans. I have found the correct color. What is the process from beginning to end will he be doing, with the materials I will be providing him? Will he need an etching primer, then a primer over that primer before painting? What grit sand papers will he need? Will he sand between coats of primer? What cleaning agents will he need to clean his work (mineral spirits, acetone, 91% isopropyl alcohol, etc.)? He has told me his process, somewhat. I don't want to step on his toes, AND, he told me he has an open mind to suggestions. I did tell him I would seek advice and he is very cool with that.
    Anything I left out please fill in the blanks. I'm sure some of you are thinking this is not the way to do it. I know this, but unless you fund this procedure, this is the best I can do.
    Thank You for your advice!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-rust1-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-rust2-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-rust3-jpg  

The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Take Me To Paint And Body Work School

The roof of my truck is complete. Now I need to know what to do to it next, with what products, and when?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-tr2-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-tr3-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-tr4-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-tr5-jpg   Take Me To Paint And Body Work School-tr1-jpg  

The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!