autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member pro 4x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Been watching a lot of special programming on the subject this month. I always had a interest in the subject.
    2018 Colorado ZR2
    http://www.autogeek.net/

  2. Likes astro liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member davidc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    I use to skip school anytime there was a launch, both parents worked so I could get in the house turn on the TV. I was always fascinated with anything space related.

  4. Likes astro liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member mbkite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sarcasm land
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    I was 12 when they went to the moon and all these years later space is just what your imagination think it is

  6. Likes astro liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    The space program, and especially Apollo, literally changed my life. I was almost 12 and remember staying up to watch the first moon walk on our old Curtis Mathes console TV. But the impact started before that. The DuPont plant in my hometown produced the aluminized Mylar and Kapton film (silver and gold films, respectively) that was used to insulate the outsides of the lunar modules, and our neighbor was an engineer at the DuPont plant. So for years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission, I had been hearing lots about the program, and our whole town was abuzz about it. All of that inspired me to be an engineer. Little did I know that years later, while attending the Univ. of Cincinnati for its co-op engineering program, I would get the chance to take a class taught by Neil Armstrong himself. He NEVER once mentioned anything about himself or his NASA missions, but he was a very cool prof ... for one class project, we made paper airplanes and he joined us in the old UC fieldhouse to fly them !

  8. Likes PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
  9. #5
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    6,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    The space program, and especially Apollo, literally changed my life. I was almost 12 and remember staying up to watch the first moon walk on our old Curtis Mathes console TV. But the impact started before that. The DuPont plant in my hometown produced the aluminized Mylar and Kapton film (silver and gold films, respectively) that was used to insulate the outsides of the lunar modules, and our neighbor was an engineer at the DuPont plant. So for years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission, I had been hearing lots about the program, and our whole town was abuzz about it. All of that inspired me to be an engineer. Little did I know that years later, while attending the Univ. of Cincinnati for its co-op engineering program, I would get the chance to take a class taught by Neil Armstrong himself. He NEVER once mentioned anything about himself or his NASA missions, but he was a very cool prof ... for one class project, we made paper airplanes and he joined us in the old UC fieldhouse to fly them !
    Now this is cool!

    I was not born until the year after the moon landing, but I have talked with a few guys who worked at the two Grummen plants here on Long Island that had a lot to do with the landing modules.

    Fascinating stuff. I could sit and listen to them for as long as they felt like talking about it. Just an incredible achievement for the time.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  10. #6
    Senior Member MX5HIGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    I was in Navy boot camp in Orlando Fl however we got to watch it on TV in one of our training classes.
    2006 Mazda MX5 Grand Touring 37,000 miles

  11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    6,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by MX5HIGH View Post
    I was in Navy boot camp in Orlando Fl......
    Vietnam after bootcamp?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  13. #8
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I was not born until the year after the moon landing, but I have talked with a few guys who worked at the two Grummen plants here on Long Island that had a lot to do with the landing modules.

    Fascinating stuff. I could sit and listen to them for as long as they felt like talking about it. Just an incredible achievement for the time.

    One story I remember my neighbor telling about the lunar module's construction was that they would turn the things upside down after assembly to try and find loose fasteners, etc., that could cause castastrophic things like a short circuit.

  14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  15. #9
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    6,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    One story I remember my neighbor telling about the lunar module's construction was that they would turn the things upside down after assembly to try and find loose fasteners, etc., that could cause castastrophic things like a short circuit.
    A guy that worked in the Calverton, LI plant told me that they bolted the prototypes to a gyroscopic machine that would simultaneously shake the hell out of it, and more violently than anything he had ever seen.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  16. Likes 57Rambler liked this post
  17. #10
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    A guy that worked in the Calverton, LI plant told me that they bolted the prototypes to a gyroscopic machine that would simultaneously shake the hell out of it, and more violently than anything he had ever seen.
    That may have been the same "testing" my neighbor referred to. Pretty crazy considering the lunar module was actually fairly flimsy ... I read/heard somewhere that its mass was just under 5000kg, minus its fuel/propellants.

  18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1965 Apollo GT---One of 88 ever made.
    By TMQ in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-16-2019, 09:58 AM
  2. Rupes Mark II , Mark ii NICE!
    By SonOfOC in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 04:20 PM
  3. Apollo Detailing: 2007 Porsche Cayman S (35+ Pictures)
    By holden_caulfield04 in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
  4. Apollo Detailing: Full Correction Imola Red '05 BMW 330ci ZHP
    By holden_caulfield04 in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2020

S M T W T F S
282930 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1