autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

Been watching a lot of special programming on the subject this month. I always had a interest in the subject.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

2. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: APOLLO 11. 50 year mark.

I use to skip school anytime there was a launch, both parents worked so I could get in the house turn on the TV. I was always fascinated with anything space related.

4. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 12 when they went to the moon and all these years later space is just what your imagination think it is

6. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The space program, and especially Apollo, literally changed my life. I was almost 12 and remember staying up to watch the first moon walk on our old Curtis Mathes console TV. But the impact started before that. The DuPont plant in my hometown produced the aluminized Mylar and Kapton film (silver and gold films, respectively) that was used to insulate the outsides of the lunar modules, and our neighbor was an engineer at the DuPont plant. So for years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission, I had been hearing lots about the program, and our whole town was abuzz about it. All of that inspired me to be an engineer. Little did I know that years later, while attending the Univ. of Cincinnati for its co-op engineering program, I would get the chance to take a class taught by Neil Armstrong himself. He NEVER once mentioned anything about himself or his NASA missions, but he was a very cool prof ... for one class project, we made paper airplanes and he joined us in the old UC fieldhouse to fly them !

8. Likes PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    The space program, and especially Apollo, literally changed my life. I was almost 12 and remember staying up to watch the first moon walk on our old Curtis Mathes console TV. But the impact started before that. The DuPont plant in my hometown produced the aluminized Mylar and Kapton film (silver and gold films, respectively) that was used to insulate the outsides of the lunar modules, and our neighbor was an engineer at the DuPont plant. So for years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission, I had been hearing lots about the program, and our whole town was abuzz about it. All of that inspired me to be an engineer. Little did I know that years later, while attending the Univ. of Cincinnati for its co-op engineering program, I would get the chance to take a class taught by Neil Armstrong himself. He NEVER once mentioned anything about himself or his NASA missions, but he was a very cool prof ... for one class project, we made paper airplanes and he joined us in the old UC fieldhouse to fly them !
    Now this is cool!

I was not born until the year after the moon landing, but I have talked with a few guys who worked at the two Grummen plants here on Long Island that had a lot to do with the landing modules.

Fascinating stuff. I could sit and listen to them for as long as they felt like talking about it. Just an incredible achievement for the time.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Navy boot camp in Orlando Fl however we got to watch it on TV in one of our training classes.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MX5HIGH View Post
    I was in Navy boot camp in Orlando Fl......
    Vietnam after bootcamp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I was not born until the year after the moon landing, but I have talked with a few guys who worked at the two Grummen plants here on Long Island that had a lot to do with the landing modules.

Fascinating stuff. I could sit and listen to them for as long as they felt like talking about it. Just an incredible achievement for the time.

One story I remember my neighbor telling about the lunar module's construction was that they would turn the things upside down after assembly to try and find loose fasteners, etc., that could cause castastrophic things like a short circuit.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    One story I remember my neighbor telling about the lunar module's construction was that they would turn the things upside down after assembly to try and find loose fasteners, etc., that could cause castastrophic things like a short circuit.
    A guy that worked in the Calverton, LI plant told me that they bolted the prototypes to a gyroscopic machine that would simultaneously shake the hell out of it, and more violently than anything he had ever seen.

16. Likes 57Rambler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    A guy that worked in the Calverton, LI plant told me that they bolted the prototypes to a gyroscopic machine that would simultaneously shake the hell out of it, and more violently than anything he had ever seen.
    That may have been the same "testing" my neighbor referred to. Pretty crazy considering the lunar module was actually fairly flimsy ... I read/heard somewhere that its mass was just under 5000kg, minus its fuel/propellants.

18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast