autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Small garage and just got new car HELPP!!!!

Just got a NEW 2019 BMW X3. Cost around 50k and no way I can afford any scratches. I will be using this for non work rides which will still yield lot of driving. I drove a mazda 3 hatchback before and still ride this (I love this car a lot at 185k miles). The size is very different and when I garage my x3 it will have around 10 inch on each side. Which is plenty for experienced drivers etc, but I'm very cautious as this is my first luxury car.

So i had someone always flag me going in but going out is pretty simple due to wheels straightened etc and the warning lights. I can use warning lights and aid on camera but still I don't hear that "CRUNCH suddenly which is game over.

Also there is this bush nearby where i have to kind of dodge it and temp put some thin foam blanket so don't have to worry about running into that accidently.

Any suggestion on the following to purchase?

1). Need Foam guards to somehow cover the ends of the garage enrance sides (top is fine as it will always clear.
    2). Some sort of mirror in garage and outside that will show the space between
    3). Any parking guides (flags, poles to mark the corners of car or garage).
    4). Temp spray paint or long black/yellow strip I can put on the ground where i can have my car next to it then just go straight to garage.

Any tips welcome. I'll post a pic and probally use photoshop to pinpoint things i need . And that bush i explained earlier.. Can't get rid of that sadly lol Meanwhile any links or tips would be great so i can purchase and not need a spotter.

And must be good reviews with lot of orders. As i'm checking this on amazon but not sure other sites are way to go (like autogeekonline lol)

I'm good driver with my mazda but seems even if I drove this a lot it will be similar results each time. My mazda I zip and soom easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small garage and just got new car HELPP!!!!

Price has ZERO to do with wanting/accepting scratches, whether it's an $18K CPO Hyundai Elantra Sport or a $135K M5 Comp Pkg, a scratch is a scratch and hurts all the same. Small garage and just got new car HELPP!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack, grisby, Goonie75, Split liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10" on both sides? That should be plenty of room, just practice and be careful

Post Thanks / Like

Also I looked it up, the x3 is 5" wider than your Mazda 3. Not much difference really

6. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you just need more time to get acquainted with the new dimensions of the new vehicle in terms of the sides.
    Also, you could hang a tennis ball from a rope to touch your windshield to, so you know when you're in the garage deep enough.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

8. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the best gauges to see where youre at:
    back your car in where you want it. then get some some of them paddle ball things. cut the rubber and ball off, tie to some string, and hang em from the ceiling to make marking locations where your car should be as ya back in and after youre backed in.
    you could use tennis balls,too

you can also paint some location markers on the floor, but the hanging thing might be easier

10. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might disagree with saying 10" on either side is plenty of room. It is not IMO.

Especially if the Garage Apron is inclined, making you have to goose the gas to enter the garage. That's the wild card and a fubar.
    Door frame of garage. What color? It is easily seen when you back in? Maybe reflective tape might help.

Are you able to use your side view mirrors? How about opening your driver's door when entering and exiting? If that's difficult and a tight squeeze, I'd definitely be thinking about gluing-attaching some form of foam padding on the wall.

I had that problem years ago, with the garage in Chicago, which was probably made in the 40's or 50's, and surely was not a 2-1/2 car garage, more likely a nice size 1 car garage was its original design. I sideswiped my brand new '94 Lincoln Town Car back then, and just recently, my father sideswiped his VW Touareg SUV.

As for the Bush, I just don't know, trim it back if you can. If not yours, ask the neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s a brand new vehicle you’ve got a back up camera And the sensors that beep to let you know how close you are to any objects. It really doesn’t get any easier than that.. IME the only actual problem I’ve ever had is trying to see through tinted windows while backing into the driveway or garage which is why I usually roll my front windows down when I’m pulling up.

As far as that bush... Trim it.

You’ll get used to parking your new vehicle in your garage in no time. It’s a repetitive act.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice given here, but if you have only 10" on each side, how do you open the door wide safely enough for entry and exit?

Post Thanks / Like

Your post really doesn't make sense. You have 10" on each side going through the door opening, if that's the issue 10" is plenty of room just be careful until you get use to it. You have 10" on each side once parked? How do you get out if you can only open door 10"? Can you park closer on the passenger side to give more room on the drivers side? Are you concerned about hitting the wall when you open the door. If you park the car in the same spot buy a couple big micro fiber towels and put them over a noodle then attach them to the wall. Putting door edge guards on the door is another option. Do the NASCAR thing and climb in and out of the window. No matter how careful you are if you drive it your are going to scratch it.

15. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast