autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time snorkeling

Which one to get ?

or

And do you need the fins flippers too ? or can you skimp on that ?

Any tips, pls advise.

Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time snorkeling

I snorkel n scuba dive and have only used the bottom setup. Make sure you get anti foggy solution. Practice in a pool before you go. And yes get flippers n thin water socks to keep blisters away. Buy mask n fins all from a dive shop for proper fitting don’t just buy anything online. You need to have the mask fit your face correctly or you will get leaks !!
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

3. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you get a proper fitting mask rub toothpaste,lightly, on the inside of mask to remove the film that is present from manufacturing process and rinse it off really well and allow to dry before putting on antifog solution

Post Thanks / Like

I too always used a style like the bottom one. I don't know if I ever saw one like the top picture, but my gear was always pretty low end. I never shopped the serious dive stores.

I will second the need for flippers. You probably don't need the huge ones like you see pro scuba divers use in videos, but you do need a decent sized set. Even in sheltered bodies of water there is a slight current and the flippers will be vital to helping you get around. In more open water it will be really hard to propell yourself around the currents without them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

First time snorkeling

Just starting out I would recommend keeping it simple. I've never seen the mask and snorkel in the first picture, looks kind of James Bondish. The set in the second picture is traditional and its been working for a long time. Maybe check with your local dive shop and get their perspective about each option.

Definitely get fins and again, I would keep it simple. I work out with fins and use the basic black rubber swim fin and it works great. I don't the kind with adjustable straps, prefer the fitted type. If you do this often your feet will build up to the fin and you won't need any type of boot or sock.

This style

Post Thanks / Like

All depends what type of snorkeling you are doing , pool or ocean/lake. I do recommend socks (but thin boots come in handy walking on the beach as you head out to snorkel, just a trick I learned snorkeling in St. Thomas)for the fins if you are diving in the ocean or lake where debri can get in n cause skin irritation (been snorkeling n diving for 40 years). My wife didn’t want to wear the little thin booties in her fins and got a tiny piece of coral wedged in , foot swollen for a week)in a pool socks or booties may not be needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going on a guided tour? If so, just use their stuff, possibly just buy a cheaper snorkel if you don't want to catch any nasties. Most snorkeling equipment ends up at the bottom of a drawer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Are you going on a guided tour? If so, just use their stuff, possibly just buy a cheaper snorkel if you don't want to catch any nasties. Most snorkeling equipment ends up at the bottom of a drawer.
    Great point. I lived in Hawaii for two years and simply bought sporting goods store-grade gear and it served me very well for the multitude of days I went snorkeling. Since moving away they collect dust in my garage.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Buying gear at sports store is fine just try it on before you leave the store. We spent 8 days on Hawaii snorkeling and it was amazing. Carlsmith beach by Hilo and Beach 69 on the opposite side of the island.

Post Thanks / Like

it's inevitable that all swim goggles would eventually start to fog up. this is hands down the best anti-fog spray i have ever used...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast