autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Through Injury

I have been out of commission for a while due to some injuries and I have been off of the forum. I missed “talking” to you guys and I missed seeing the pictures, product reviews and opinions. I tore my ACL in my right knee and I sprained ligaments in the toes of my left foot. The injuries affected me mentally as well as physically. After a couple of weeks, I decided to hobble outside and work on the cars again and it has been great therapy.
    Have any of you professionals worked through injuries?

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Through Injury

Do it every day. I was told to stop working 15 years ago by a neurologist, because of multiple blown and bulging discs in my neck and back. I told him, if he and his doctor buddies were going to take up a collection every month to pay my bills, I’d be happy to oblige.
    My back gets out of control a couple times a year, but I deal with it. Had a hip replacement 2.5 years ago that sidelined me for about 9 months, but bounced back better than ever. I own my own detailing business, and after 4 years into it, I am finally working on mostly high end vehicles that I set out to do when I started this. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. They’re wrong.��

4. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding Gene. I am not a professional but I appreciate the words of encouragement. My ACL is completely torn but I am trying to avoid surgery. Let’s see if physical therapy can strengthen the knee enough for me to get by. At 55, I don’t plan to play professional soccer, basketball or tennis.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, injuries do not just take a physical toll, typically when somebody says that they’re in pain they’re not just in pain physically but they’re in pain mentally as well…

As the pain levels rise They can drive one to a sense of hopelessness, but the idea is to break the pain cycle and seek the help you need and get it repaired by confident folks that believe in you.

Sometimes seeking the right doctors takes a little bit of time, but when you find the folks that understand your pain, and don’t say it’s all in your head, that’s when you know you found the right doctor…

Don’t let it get you down David, keep plugging away, seek the right help and be your own advocate, and fight to get the help you need.

I wish you god speed on a quick solution to your ACL, and quick recovery so you can get out into the world and do the things you enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responding Paul. I will never be at the level that you are but I did full paint correction on the wife’s Buick today and it was very rewarding. I am slow going these days but I am using the knee more and more to try to strengthen it.

9. Likes Diner, Aaryn NZ, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the positive attitude and keep doing what you can without injuring yourself further. It's good to get out and do what you enjoy and that is great for your mental outlook! Best wishes on a speedy recovery/rehab!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

11. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing, UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear Davy but keep pluggin as best you can. You've been missed.

13. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m just a weekend warrior but i’ll chime in. Last year i torn my achilles playing soccer and had surgery on it. 2yr kid and a pregnant wife weren’t terribly excited as you can imagine neither was I. Even on crutches, i still managed to wash and take care of my wife’s car. It was miserable and extremely hard to do in texas during summer but still doable. It really helped me appreciate full mobility and be mindful of my actions moving forward. Any how, keep your head up and move on with the life. But don’t give up on detailing lol

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

15. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First off I'm sorry to hear about the ACL... injuries are never fun.

But I'm gonna respond here different that everyone else...

My husband has had 3 knee surgeries from tears.
    PT will NOT fix a tear (although I think you already know this). I encourage you to think about the surgery. Though all surgery sucks, it's not a horrible procedure and it will fix the tear.

Obviously this is my 2 cents... just telling you from experience.

No matter what good luck and well wishes!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

17. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best bits of advice I ever received was "Focus on what you CAN do" (not on what you CAN'T do). Even in the little things.
    Going to the gym to do the pre-hab strengthening exercises (there are exercises you CAN do) is awesome. Exercise is so great for the mental.

And getting out there and detailing is awesome...for sure you CAN DO It. Ive had 2 acl surgeries. As a professional athlete I know the depression that can set in with injuries. Keep up the good work. It aint easy but you are going to get through it. I know some people (even athletes) that have gone on fine without surgery. As DetailKitty said..ACL tears do not repair. If you can strengthen the muscles around it you may be ok. Some people are good to get by without surgery...and some people need it (like me). Also sending my best wishes to you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Autogeekonline mobile app

19. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast