autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Detailing Through Injury

I always practice letting an injury heal slowly so it will heal correctly.

In other words - don't over do it before you're ready to return to normal activities.

I've been in 3 bad motorcycle accidents, one accident I had a head-on with a 1971 Chrysler 300 4-door while on a Yamaha SECA 750. I tore all the ligaments and tendons in my right leg and wore a full leg to to hip cast for months. Real pain in the butt. Also broke my arm and wrist. Had a complete recovery with no problems but I let my body heal before going full speed again.

It's no fun to let "time" do it's thing but it pays off.

2. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been detailing for years with a replaced hip and knee.

4. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy Crap, UD!

I can say with all certainty that I know what it's like to work through pain.

My back injury in 2017 kept me out of work for 7 months, and I ultimately had to stop working at a job I had been at for 22 years.

Then, back on the 14th, I was stopped for a school bus on Route 48 (you know that road...) and a girl rear-ended me going 55-60mph.

Still dealing with that. But....... The real answer is only YOU know how far you can push yourself. Just listen to what your body is telling you, man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I feel better getting out there and working on the cars again. I even started singing again while I work. Kitty, surgery may be inevitable but I will still try to avoid it. Paulie, I had no idea that you were recently in an accident. Let's catch up one of these days.

8. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I feel better getting out there and working on the cars again. I even started singing again while I work. Kitty, surgery may be inevitable but I will still try to avoid it. Paulie, I had no idea that you were recently in an accident. Let's catch up one of these days.
    No doubt, UD. Looking forward to it, old man......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are feeling better Davy especially when you are able to be outside around the cars. I can understand wanting to avoid the surgery. I have had both rotator cuffs torn, repaired and torn again in the last 19 years. I see two orthopedic surgeons and they both agree the only thing left to do is a reverse shoulder replacement.

Well I’ll be 69 next month and the last thing I want to do is have that surgery. I have been getting by for years on cortisone shots and pain meds. One doctor won’t prescribe pain meds and all he wants to discuss is surgery. I told him surgery is not an option unless the pain gets so bad I can’t tolerate it any longer.

On the other hand, my other doctor knows my shoulders are torn up and continues to give me the cortisone shots and pain meds when I need them. Like you, I feel better getting out and doing what I can to detail a car or restore headlights.

Keep your positive attitude and doing the things you enjoy. You will know when it’s time for surgery.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Awh geeze that sux UncleDavy!

Man, I struggle to sit still on a day off let alone actually ‘having to’. I feel for you mate.

As far as injuries go, I have gotten this far through life with very little physical injury . . . The mind, well, that left me many many years ago but me & I do just fine without myself nowadays.

I did suffer a fairly serious heart attack in 2016 & the surgeons, doctors, cardiologists etc etc all said I needed to take 4-6 weeks off . . . I spent 3 days in hospital & 5 more resting before getting back to work. I did take it easy for a couple of weeks but bills had to be paid.

I don’t like to think about a proper physical injury though. The thought of not being able scares the poop outta me.

Here’s to a swift recovery for you my friend, like someone else mentioned already - listen to your body, & try to be patient.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

13. Thanks The Guy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone of advancing age (and having had a minor stroke this past winter), all I can say is; listen to your body. Don't push it. Any injury (or illness) just takes time to get thru.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I still want to avoid surgery for other reasons. I will be 56 next week and do I have to think about knee replacement anyway in 10 or 15 years? Also, I had a heart attack when I was 39 and have coronary stents and have been on blood thinners ever since. I can risk another heart attack or stroke if I stop the Plavix.

16. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Well at least take it easy for a while!
    Nothing like good ol’ rest for your body
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast