autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moderators - Rules question

My stance on these rules, and based on experience in the past 8 years is that the Mods are not gonna panic if you mention something that is not sold by Autogeek unless you promote other stores and such. We are all here to talk about detailing, processes and products. Sometimes the best product for doing something is not offered yet by Autogeek. I think as long as you are respectful, it will not be a problem.

Often when someone mentions a product not sold here, the members will give better alternatives available here.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also seen pro's here post their work and some of the products mentioned in the documentation of the work is not sold here, and when it's non-US members, is not sold in the US at all. Those seem to go pretty well.

On a related question, do we even have "moderators" here? Mike occasionally takes on the role, and I've seen "Admin" and Meghan pop in occasionally, but neither of them have ever done any moderation that I've seen. The nice thing is it isn't often needed around here. The down side is this type of situation arises and no one knows who to ask.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

OP here. To be more specific, I bought Nova Lustre and Jet and applied them to one panel of my wife's daily driver. To the adjacent panel I applied Sonax PNS, Wax, and BSD. My plan is to let them be there for 6-12 months and just see what happens. Nova products aren't retailed by anyone in the US so I don't feel like I'm being disrespectful to AG's business. Autopia would work, I guess; maybe there's a better forum I don't know about?

Post Thanks / Like

Moderators - Rules question

Detailing world, no product rules there but UK centric.

Nova isn’t the brand, Concours is.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

On a related question, do we even have "moderators" here? Mike occasionally takes on the role, and I've seen "Admin" and Meghan pop in occasionally, but neither of them have ever done any moderation that I've seen.

In my opinion and experience, a GOOD Moderator is like a Police Officer. They are here to protect and serve the community by monitoring the discussion and when needed - enforcing the rules.

Car Wax History

When I came to Autogeek in 2009 there were no forum rules there was a general statement that basically asked everyone to be nice. At that time we had a couple of troublemakers on the forum that acted like bullies. After about a year, the forum rules I wrote for MeguiarsOnline were tweaked here and there to make them more appropriate for Autogeek.com and then incorporated to this forum.

Forum rules are like boundaries. They show people what is acceptable and what is not acceptable behavior. With a set of real forum rules, you give the Moderators something to enforce. Then when someone breaks the forum rules, or in most cases, continually breaks forum rules, "we" that is Autogeek NEVER bans anyone from this forum. A person bans themselves by continually breaking the forum rules.

I've never claimed to be a good Moderator as it interferes with what I enjoy doing and that's the education side of this forum. Playing the Bad Cop by enforcing rules for those that cannot abide by them is easy to do but it's better left to someone else to handle.

Just to note - when a person joins this forum, part of the registration form includes a "check box" at the bottom of the online form that states by checking the box you agree to follow the forum rules. Of course - most people don't read fine print for anything now days.

And something I think people simply don't see is the link to the forum rules at the top of EVERY page on this forum. So there's really no excuse for not knowing the rules, all a person has to do is look, click and read.

The nice thing is it isn't often needed around here.
    That is the nice thing about this forum. It's helpful AND friendly.

The down side is this type of situation arises and no one knows who to ask.
    I agree. I'd like to see an official moderator assigned to this duty. The BEST Moderator I've even known was my old friend Tim aka 2hodford. He was the lead Moderator on the MOL forum when I ran it. I would take the time to read through a "problem" post or thread and then apply the forum rules fairly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12