autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

I’ve been using conventional Pennzoil 5w30 in my 02’ Cadillac Deville since I bought it last October, and like most Caddys it’s leaked oil at a somewhat moderate rate... I usually top it off with .5 quart every 3 weeks or so.

Here’s a picture of how much oil it typically leaked once parked after a normal drive.

Oil leak adds up over time... It’s a good thing I’m not OCD when it comes to the driveway.

I dunno, I’ve driven Cadillacs my whole life and to me oil leaks are like low MPG’s... It’s the only life I’ve known so it’s never been something that bothered me. I simply fill the tank and top off my oil more often than others. Lol.

But 3 months ago I decided to switch to Pennzoil High Mileage for my topping off. At 1st I thought I was crazy but I immediately noticed a dramatic decrease in the oil my car was leaking.

I finally decided to check how much, if any oil my car currently leaks after going for a drive this morning and leaving it parked for 3hrs. This is what it looks like. I think the difference is pretty remarkable compared to before.

Some people had advised me to switch to synthetic oil instead of the high mileage... After doing my own research, I’m glad I went with the High Mileage Oil.

Not shilling, just keeping it real. This stuff really made a difference.

Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks acuRAS82, DetailedByPrecision thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, bofh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

If you have a leak, it is best NOT to switch to a synthetic from what I understand. While the viscosities are the same, for some reason a synthetic oil tends to leak more.

My wife had an old Jeep Cherokee when we first married. I switched it up from conventional to synthetic and it started to leak all over the place. I then switched back to a conventional high mileage oil and the leaks stopped. From then on, I'd only make the switch to synthetic early in the vehicle's life before the age-induced mystery leaks set in.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it..topping off (1 qt or less)with Pennzoil High Mileage decreased the leaking significantly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I don't get it..topping off (1 qt or less)with Pennzoil High Mileage decreased the leaking significantly?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I ought to try this on my Cadillac too but I have a brand new,never used jug of Castrol GTX sitting in my garage. I guess I will keep this in mind for another time.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

8. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    High mileage oil is designed to bridge the gap per say. It provides viscosity and additives that are known to rejuvenate worn and dry seals as well as minor scoring on engine parts. Consider it a good polish and sealant for our engines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wierd thing is the car still goes through the same amount of oil... The correct amount to fill a 4.6 Northstar is 7.5 quarts which measures at exactly halfways on the hashmarks on the dipstick... But no matter how hard I try to keep it there it always seems to burn/drink/or otherwise dispose of that .5 quart in a short amount of time and then keep itself near the bottom of the hashmarks aka the line where it says to add a quart [you’re not really supposed to add a full quart, only .5]

My 97’ used to be the same way...

I take it out on the open road and do a good WOT run every so often as recommended to clear the carbon buildup from the top of the pistons/oil rings in hopes of decreasing my oil consumption... There’s been times where I’ve seen nice black clouds of smoke coming out the exhaust when doing that, but it still consumes oil.

I did 4 consecutive WOT runs late last nite. Pedal to the metal till it hits redline in 2nd gear.Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My 97’ used to be the same way...
    Correction: On my 97’ I used to try my best to keep it filled to the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick [that’s before I found out the correct level is halfways on the hashmarks] but it would still somehow drink/burn/dispose of .5 qrt. very quickly and settle down for its gradual consumption after that... These cars can be really quirky sometimes.

Funny thing is even though it leaks, I’ve never ran into a situation where 1 of my Cadillacs leaked for so long that it was at a dangerously low level of oil. They’re never thirsty for more than 1 quart at the most. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Switch over to high mileage and retest. Keep in mind if your seeing puffs of smoke you'll damage your Catalytic Converter and O2 sensors. In any case enjoy the ride Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Switch over to high mileage and retest. Keep in mind if your seeing puffs of smoke you'll damage your Catalytic Converter and O2 sensors. In any case enjoy the ride Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

I consider the engine already on high mileage oil...

As far as the clouds of black smoke, I only saw what resulted in a shocking moment the 1st time I did it in this car... Ever since then I haven’t seen anywhere near that visible cloud as there was the 1st time.

I don’t think the catalytic converter is in danger of being harmed because any bits of carbon should hopefully make its way through its vent holes. At least I hope that’s the case. Lol.

I ruined the catalytic converter in my 97’ due to waiting too long to fix the check engine light aka O2 Sensor... On this car I fixed a check engine light/O2 Sensor the day after I got the check engine light. Believe me I don’t want to ruin my cat.Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast