autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Hmm... I’ve got a slight lifter tick going on too. Enough for a couple of people to have mentioned it, but when I asked the dealer to have a listen he said it sounded completely normL.
    Thanks for the info.
    i believe that has the 4.6 northstar? if so, they are rather notorious for the lifter tick-too! theres a few GM engines that are notorious for. GM specifies 5w for a lot of engines but i personally think they should have thought a little more about it. a car in arizona doesnt need 5w. a car in minnesota in the winter? yes but only during the winter.
    my GP didnt have the lifter tick in the winter with 5w(metro detroit). come summer it would sound like a slant 6 mopar engine.

2. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    i believe that has the 4.6 northstar? if so, they are rather notorious for the lifter tick-too! theres a few GM engines that are notorious for. GM specifies 5w for a lot of engines but i personally think they should have thought a little more about it. a car in arizona doesnt need 5w. a car in minnesota in the winter? yes but only during the winter.
    my GP didnt have the lifter tick in the winter with 5w(metro detroit). come summer it would sound like a slant 6 mopar engine.
    Yes it’s a Northstar.. Not sure what great changes made them switch from recommending 10w30 on the oil cap like on my 97’ Cad which also had a Northstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    GM specifies 5w for a lot of engines but i personally think they should have thought a little more about it.
    Trust me, they thought about it plenty... Everything they do or warn you about is calculated. Whether it’s parts that break on time or things they warn you to specifically do or else you’re left to hang yourself on... DexCool comes to mind. I personally don’t use that stuff in my car.

I’ve got several books on the history of Cadillac, and in 1 of them it says that the idea for what eventually became the HT4100 V8 with an Aluminum block & Cast Iron heads came about a full 20yrs. before it was finally unleashed to the unknowing customers in 1982. They spent 20yrs. creating that turd knowing damn well it’d be a turd.Switching to High Mileage Oil made a huge difference..lol.

5. Thanks tomsteve thanked for this post
    Likes tomsteve, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20 years of perfecting the turd?! LOL

My Jeep Cherokee is at 247k. I've been using the high mileage stuff since I got it a few years ago. Not sure if it made any difference, that thing is worn. I'll be replacing some gaskets some day and hope that stops those pesky leaks

7. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123