autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Has anyone used them? I have a client that wants me to work on their vehicle, but want me to use those products instead of the products I normally use, but they want the results I get.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    What polisher do you have?

    3M is mostly for high speed rotary polisher to get you fast and great results. So that's why you maybe don't hear much about these polishes. And I don't know how they works with a DA polisher.

    So if you don't have a rotary polisher. I would explain to the customer that your products is dialed in to get the results you are getting with the DA polisher. And if they still want you to use the 3M polishes you can not guarantee you get the same great results from it that you can with the polishes you have. Take the products with you and 2 test spots and compare the results between 3M polishes and your polishes. Then it's up to the customer to decide which results they want. But it's a strange thing to be asking and expect the same results. The customer may be important to you. Otherwise I would say that my products or if the test spot works out with the 3M or they look for another one that use the 3M polishes. They are great products and maybe a little out dated with all the new abrasive technology that has come out in the recent years. 3M has been a go to product for many with rotary polisher at least here in Sweden.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    I have a Griots 6 inch Random Orbital and a Rupes LHR 15 Mark III. This customer told me that their friend that use to polish the vehicle owned a body shop and those are the products they would use and get amazing results on his existing paint job, not a brand new paint job. I looked around here and didn't see any information on 3M Perfect it compounds and polishes so that I why I asked. One of my local shops said I could use them with my polishers, but because they are "old tech" that they would dust up allot and make a mess so I would need to keep wiping down the vehicle.

    It looks like they have 3 primary products in the Grit range of the products I use, which should in theory result in similar defect removal and polishing..... If I had a rotary. Price wise, he isn't saving any money using them. They are priced about the same price as the products I use.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fairmont, MN
    Posts
    3,177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Just did a quickie look at 3m's page(s)...appears Perfect-it line is for rotary use.

    Hope this helps ya...

    Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I have a Griots 6 inch Random Orbital and a Rupes LHR 15 Mark III. This customer told me that their friend that use to polish the vehicle owned a body shop and those are the products they would use and get amazing results on his existing paint job, not a brand new paint job. I looked around here and didn't see any information on 3M Perfect it compounds and polishes so that I why I asked. One of my local shops said I could use them with my polishers, but because they are "old tech" that they would dust up allot and make a mess so I would need to keep wiping down the vehicle.

    It looks like they have 3 primary products in the Grit range of the products I use, which should in theory result in similar defect removal and polishing..... If I had a rotary. Price wise, he isn't saving any money using them. They are priced about the same price as the products I use.
    Yeah it's the dust thing that is the drawback. And also if you need to be useing the heavy compound you have hard to do the job in 2 steps and mostly need to be doing 3 steps. That's the benefit with the newer polishes since they have a bigger range of cutting from the polish.

    It would not be any problems with useing your polishes on a repaint. Can be it's a single stage paint and if it's a little dry you would use a polishes that are heavy on polishing oils or a pretreatment with Meguiars #7. To get the oils in the paint. Otherwise it's the same to polishing with the products you have if not even better.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kamakaz1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    3M Perfect It products dust quite a bit. I know the directions say for rotary use, however, you can use it with a DA from 1st hand experience. But I used a Flex 3401 Forced Orbital DA. I can't comment on the GG6. Their jeweling polish is awesome though. It does not dust and is an excellent polish. I still use it. IMO Menzerna, Sonax and many great correcting combos are just as good. At least they were made for the DA and rotary. They probably dust less too.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    3,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    3M make really good polishes. As with any polish, there may be a learning curve. Ultrafina is one I love and use often.

    Now if some one came to me telling me what to use (like in your case) to do my job, I won’t be providing service for them. I have had people request different styles of LSP’s or to make tires super glossy or not. Those I consider valid. Not what polish to use tho.
    Jim

  8. Likes dlc95, SWETM liked this post
  9. #8
    Senior Member dlc95's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Mi
    Posts
    5,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    3M make really good polishes. As with any polish, there may be a learning curve. Ultrafina is one I love and use often.

    Now if some one came to me telling me what to use (like in your case) to do my job, I won’t be providing service for them. I have had people request different styles of LSP’s or to make tires super glossy or not. Those I consider valid. Not what polish to use tho.
    I agree!

  10. #9
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Has anyone used them?
    I have.
    Good stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I have a client that wants me to work on
    their vehicle, but want me to use those
    products instead of the products I normally
    use, but they want the results I get.
    IMO:
    It’s entirely your decision to select
    which products that you use. Client
    may ultimately disagree with your
    final selection. However...

    Bottom line:
    It’s your call; that’s why I am going
    to have to go with what Dale & Grace
    sang about—back in 1963:




    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  12. #10
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    4,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Perfect - IT Prodcuts

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post



    Bottom line:
    Itís your call; thatís why I am going
    to have to go with what Dale & Grace
    sang aboutóback in 1963:




    Bob
    You get that album for your 50th birthday, Bob?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  13. Likes FUNX650 liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Perfect wipe down??
    By bdlerto51 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
  2. Perfect example
    By Jeremy1976 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-16-2016, 12:56 AM
  3. Best prodcuts for gelcoat boats
    By Ballistic in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 06:26 AM
  4. The Perfect Car Wash
    By AudiTTman in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  5. 3M-Perfect-It III
    By gotgone in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2019

S M T W T F S
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 123