autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Preventing injuries, managing injuries, working through pain

The tittle should say it all but here's my story. I'm a DIY detailer at the moment but detailed cars professionally back in the late 90's for a shop and new car dealers. Fast forward some 20 years later and time has caught up with me. I've been having issues with my sciatic nerve and it's kinda hard to pin point what the trigger is or what not to do. I can recover with exercise, meds and time but I'm looking to here from some of you DIYer's as well as the professionals detailers who make a living out of this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing injuries, managing injuries, working through pain

Stretch.

My girlfriend is a licensed myomassologist. When she was in training I was her "test panel", but now thay she is busy working I have to be really messed up to get treatment.

Bit she has me stretching and doing some yoga, and that has been working like a dream. I'm about as flexible as I was 15 years ago.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my case I had to adjust to find a position that did not hurt. I’ve had two back surgeries now and things are better but still not perfect. I stretch before I start detailing and that helps a good bit. Interiors are the most painful to me since you have to get into many different positions. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    In my case I had to adjust to find a position that did not hurt. I’ve had two back surgeries now and things are better but still not perfect. I stretch before I start detailing and that helps a good bit. Interiors are the most painful to me since you have to get into many different positions. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.
    Grin and bear is my first, midlle and last name. I'm thankfully not a candidate for surgery and the DR. can't find a single instance or combination of things that cause the trigger. My physical therapist last year really focused on my recovery and got me walking again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Stretch.

My girlfriend is a licensed myomassologist. When she was in training I was her "test panel", but now thay she is busy working I have to be really messed up to get treatment.

Bit she has me stretching and doing some yoga, and that has been working like a dream. I'm about as flexible as I was 15 years ago.
    THIS ^^^^^^ STRETCH! STRETCH! STRETCH! I have owned a Massage business going on 13 years and I have 8+ years experience as a Massage Therapist. Stretching helps. Simple way of stretching is while you are watching TV or reading...just sit on the floor with your legs stretched out while your back is against a wall or chair. That alone will help. I was taught how to massage by my X and a couple of other massage therapists. I do not massage as I just am a receptionist at my work. I massage the massage therapists!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!