autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: technique vs tool selection

I can achieve show car results with a cheap DA polisher for sure.

Doing detailing for money, time is money for me. So I can take my $430 polisher and end up with the exact same results as a $50 DA. But the $50 polisher takes me 3 more hours to complete the task.

Again using these tools for profit, I can use my $400 polisher and feel less fatigue since it is way smoother. Same results as the $50 polisher again. But less wear and tear on my body physically over the course of time.

So are the more expensive tools worth it?? For me yes! The individual purchasing the tool has the final vote on that answer. I feel a better ? Is “is a more expensive tool worth it to ME” and let the individual decide for his/herself!

Technique doesn’t make a difference as you want to master each individual tool and use it to its full capabilities each time.
    Jim

2. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi, Paul A., PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Technique is good but at some point you may need some more help and need to save time.

Going from using a PC 7424 for 13 years to a Boss 21 saved me a lot of time on major jobs, a long with way less fatigue. If you have good technique and perfect with a PC, imagine a machine with a 21mm throw!

To me the upgrade was worth it.

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Then it'd be time to break out the other 'oldie'...the rotary!
    Or the 3000 grit for the 7424.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its the abrasives today where the most advancements have taken place. I think they outweigh the tools. As long as you use proper technique you can get the same result with a PC. OP never said anything about the amount of time it takes, which just about everyone mentioned.

7. Likes dlc95, Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, technique is more important.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I think its the abrasives today where the most advancements have taken place. I think they outweigh the tools. As long as you use proper technique you can get the same result with a PC. OP never said anything about the amount of time it takes, which just about everyone mentioned.
    I agree with this.

As long as someone is using quality abrasives they’re pretty much guaranteed showcar results if they really want them.

I think technique really only matters for niche situations, like the video Ammo NYC put out about diluting m205 because the paint was supremely soft on that Porsche. That entire video was ridiculous, imo. I wasn’t present, but there’s no way swapping to a product that’s better suited to that paint would have not been worth it.

If technique mattered as much as some imply, Mike Phillips wouldn’t be able to teach class after class and have people leaving able to achieve show car results with just a couple days of polishing experience.

I think as products continue to advance, technique just matters less and less. I think what really matters is experience and the ability to critically think about what you’re seeing as you try to figure out what works so that you can dial in the combo you want to use.

But then you’re getting in to technique vs experience, and I think at that point you can potentially start splitting hairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No doubt...the refinement of the abrasives in products has improved the results overall. I am in full agreement (now) with what Mike P. successfully discussed on that point in a poll thread a couple years ago. It is the single most important factor when compared to machine, pad, technique etc. As he pointed out, it's the abrasives that touch and work the paint.

Getting back to what nakranij was asking...does a quality TOOL make a difference. Basically, can it make up for less than ideal technique?

In my opinion, not entirely. Bad technique with a PC 7424 and then a Rupes on side by side test sections will probably look similar. However I do strongly agree with Dr Oldz and 392Hemi in that they are time savers for me. I can get much better results in a shorter amount of time, AND I'm less fatigued at the end. Sure, I could've stuck to my PC and used all the advances in pad and product (abrasive) advancements and gotten great results over the current years however it's easier for me (and on me) to progress to a $400 machine that is more refined. I can extract a much more refined end result in less time.

There is also the intangible benefit of machine "feel". Even the inexperienced will feel a difference in the PC and then the Rupes.

Having said all that, I will also say the more expensive machines are not only for the business pro's but weekend, personal car detailers as well. If you enjoy polishing paint, I think you'll enjoy it more with a refined machine. That's not to say the Harbor Freight won't get the job done, it'll just take a little more work to get you where you want to be with your paint finish. Plus they help you refine your technique. Plus you realy feel the difference when you first experience that $400 machine!

Just my thoughts, nakranij...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Doing detailing for money, time is money for me. So I can take my $430 polisher and end up with the exact same results as a $50 DA. But the $50 polisher takes me 3 more hours to complete the task.
    Totally agree.

A gear-driven orbital is so much faster than any brand of free spinning orbital.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

I think its the abrasives today where the most advancements have taken place.
    Totally agree.

Been doing this all my life now. I can remember the compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes BEFORE modern basecoat/clearcoats were invented and back then it wasn't that good. The best products before the 1980s were the old Meguiar's numbers #1, #2 and #4 and the #6 and #19 - Some of you won't even know what I'm talking/typing about.

(I have all of the above in my antique wax collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post

As long as someone is using quality abrasives they’re pretty much guaranteed showcar results if they really want them.
    Totally agree.

I've taught young kids and seasoned members of our society how to get pro result their very first time machine polishing so they don't have any experience and the only technique that have is what I shared with them seconds before turning the polisher on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

No doubt...the refinement of the abrasives in products has improved the results overall.

No amount of technique, or pad choice or even tool choice can make bad abrasive technology good.

The picture in this article tells the story....

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, good points and I didn't mention the abrasives because those have changed allot over the years also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    So what makes an orbital polisher with an old school motor and a power cord worth $400 ++ ?
    There’s an issue with your thesis as the $400+ orbital polishers are purpose-built for a smaller customer base. Therefor, economies of scale come into play. Yes, anyone can visit a big box home improvement store and walk away with a power drill, but you will not see Flex or Rupes orbitals on display for purchase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12