autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Care care for low milage driven car

Hi,

I have a relative who drives their car short distances. As a result, they drive about 1,000 miles a year. This is a bit of a challenge to handle maintenance-wise. For example, the car hasn't reached the 5,000 miles interval for oil change in 4 years, but really should have had one. Here are my thoughts and reasoning for low driven mile cars, since some things go bad with time (oil) and some may not go back with time (spark plugs?). The car is a 2014 Nissan Versa SV Sedan.

• Oil Change - every 6 months according to the manual. Water probably builds up faster in a car that isn't driven much. In fact, I suggested to them that they make a longer trip of at least 10-20 miles every month or so.
    • Tire Rotation - suggested rotation of every 5,000 mile in the manual, since not rotating the tires at regular intervals won't cause any problems. However, the tire should be inspected since older tires may start deteriorating before their threads run out.
    • Brake Fluid - every 2 years according to the manual. Like oil, brake probably collects in the system but driving more probably doesn't help with reducing water.
    • Air and Cabin filter - every 36 months and 18 months according to the manual. They could also just take it out and look at it, but they are not mechanically incline. I am on the fence on this one. Driving less probably result in less dust in the filter. What do you think?
    • Coolant replacement - every 7 years according to the manual, which seems reasonable.
    • CVT fluid replacement - every 6 years according to the manual, which also seems reasonable especially since Nissan are not known to be great at CVT, so better safe than sorry.
    • Spark Plug - not interval, so I think every 105,000 miles. Based on the youtube video, it's a pain to do on this car. You have to take off the manifold and would probably be an hour job, so it wouldn't be cheap. Spark plug don't go bad sitting around?
    • Obviously at every oil change, inspect mechanical related stuff like steering, fluids, brake pads, etc.
    • For the car body, the car is hand wash regularly and then waxed with Turtle Ice spray wax. They live in relatively snow-free and rain-free environment. The chief enemy is the sun ,heat, tree sap, and bird poop. The car is parked outside under a roofed car port. The turtle wax should be ok with so little miles per year.
    • Wiper blades - replace when wiper starts streaking. Wiper should last a long time since it doesn't rain very often there and there is no ice. Replace with silicone since rubber wiper probably breaks down in the heat.
    • Brakes - obviously replace when the pad gets thin, which should take a while. Pads don't go bad with time?
    • Battery - Just have the mechanic test it at every oil change. Usually battery last around 5 years. The current one for her lasted only 4 years. Not driving it much probably means the battery doesn't get charged up.

What are your opinions on the service interval.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Care care for low milage driven car

The manual says that coolant last 7 yrs? I’ve never heard of coolant that lasts that long. From my understanding Dexkill is supposed to last something like 5yrs. and even if I used that stuff [which I don’t] I would never let it go that long and instead change it out at about 3-4yrs. tops. I currently run regular green coolant which is said to last 2yrs. and I’ll be sure to remember to drain & refill on time... But 7yrs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Care care for low milage driven car

The interval does seemed long, but this is what the manual states:

Engine Coolant* Replace coolant at the specified interval. When adding or replacing coolant, be sure to use only Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (Blue) or equivalent with the proper mixture.(RefertotheOwner’sManual to determine the proper mixture for your area.) The recommended service interval of the factory-fill coolant is 105,000 miles (168,000 km) or 7 years, whichever comes first. Subsequent replacement of Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (Blue) should occur every 75,000 miles (120,000 km) or 5 years whichever comes first. NOTE: Mixing any other type of coolant or the use of non-distilled water willreducetherecommendedservice interval of the coolant

Usually car manufacturer are pretty conservative.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to have a battery charger that has a maintance ability from it?
    The problem is if driven very little and when driven short distances. Generator will be working on high and mostly don't have the ability to fully charge the battery.

If going over the board and I have not done this either but thought about it if haveing a classic car. Is to yearly or if driven little all year round. To apply all the rubber bushings with 303 Aerospace Protectant and all the other rubber you can find. I have seen what the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant can do on a dry out door seals of original Chevrolet Caprice '70. The softness and the much gone wind noise was incredible to experience. I just put it on for fun and did not expect anything really but maybe a slightly lower wind noise. But man did that do the trick. They still needs to be switched as they are in a horribel condition and a little part is missing on the driverside upper part. And it's a HT too. So my thinking is that it would be a perfect product to maintain the softness on the rubber even with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Would be a lot of bottles with 303 Rubber Seal Protectant if used that LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they sell battery maintainer that plugs into a wall outlet. The problem is that relative doesn't have a garage and so there is no outlet. I thought about getting some sort of solar power maintainer, but just had the person drive the car longer distance to charge up the battery and burn away the water.

Paul

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
    Yes, they sell battery maintainer that plugs
    into a wall outlet. The problem is that relative
    doesn't have a garage and so there is no outlet.

I thought about getting some sort
    of solar power maintainer...
    Here’s a really good one:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, I have Battery Tenders but didn’t know they make solar powered ones!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything looks spot on to me. It’s always good policy to follow the manual. I do allow my vehicles to go 1 year between oil changes if they don’t reach the mileage mark.

Post Thanks / Like

April is my oil change month. I got the Mobil 1 sitting in the garage ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t drive an awful lot per year so I change my oil yearly. I did it yesterday. Even then it was dark brown. Goes to show you, change your oil regardless of mileage. A year ( for synthetic oil) or whatever comes first. Now I have two more cars to do an oil change on...