autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on tires air pressure gauge

I use a digital gauge but there should not be any noticable differences between an analog or digital gauge.

You should check tire pressure when the tires are cold. If you drive somewhere before you take the reading, the pressure can change by as much a 4 or 5 celcius... As other have mentionned air temperature also affects the pressure in the tire.

2. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JACO-ElitePro-Tire-Pressure-Gauge is what I have.
    If you set your tires at your preferred psi you have to reset the TPMS system. TPMS will alert you when there is a 3psi deviation from the set point. Well anyway that is how mine work.
    I inflate mine, set the TPMS and forget about it.
    Now my other car with the Flat Tire Monitor system I check more frequently

With the hose and swivel head it is easy to plant it squarely on the stem. I usually do a couple reads to confirm PSI.

It has a button you can use to release pressure if you over inflate.
    Manipulating a digital pistol style gauge would feel too much like getting gum off my shoe.

4. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    JACO-ElitePro-Tire-Pressure-Gauge is what I have.
    If you set your tires at your preferred psi you have to reset the TPMS system. TPMS will alert you when there is a 3psi deviation from the set point. Well anyway that is how mine work.
    I inflate mine, set the TPMS and forget about it.
    Now my other car with the Flat Tire Monitor system I check more frequently

With the hose and swivel head it is easy to plant it squarely on the stem. I usually do a couple reads to confirm PSI.

It has a button you can use to release pressure if you over inflate.
    Manipulating a digital pistol style gauge would feel too much like getting gum of my shoe.
    Been thinking about buying a tire pressure monitor system for 2 years. Might pull the trigger this year. They are not that expensive and I think it would save a lot of time checking pressure. Also if something happens and pressure drops suddenly, you are not going around with unsafe underpressurized tires.

Post Thanks / Like

this is mine, I like it a lot.

7. Thanks java thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with it.

This is your problem. The TPMS monitor runs off a battery, that has to last 5-10 years. The battery is activated by the motion of the wheel, otherwise it would be on all the time (even when you're not driving the car) and wouldn't last very long. If you check your TPMS without moving the car, it will be showing you the pressure reading from the last time you drove the car, when it was probably warmer than -3 and the tires were warm from driving.

I would trust the TPMS system to do it's job. Or is the problem you're having is that you get a TPMS light and you're trying to find out which wheel is low? Mine has individual readings so I don't have that problem, but I understand a lot of vehicles don't.
    I check the TPMS without moving the car. It reads the PSI at start up, not from the previous night, 31-32 PSI.

Does this means the battery doesn't run off of motion? Unless it has a Lithium battery that has a 10 year life span.

One vehicle has the TPMS light the other has independent tire pressure reading and would send text alert when the air pressure get to low.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Mine doesn’t I have to check each tire to see but most of the time when my light goes on all four need air.
    The same here, but I usually forget the spare tire and wonder why the light won't shut off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I use a digital gauge but there should not be any noticable differences between an analog or digital gauge.

You should check tire pressure when the tires are cold. If you drive somewhere before you take the reading, the pressure can change by as much a 4 or 5 celcius... As other have mentionned air temperature also affects the pressure in the tire.
    Which tire gauge are you using?

11. Likes duster01 liked this post
    Dislikes duster01 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    this is mine, I like it a lot.

I have the same tire air pressure gauge, Joe's Racing with glow in the dark face.

13. Likes Oz_TCH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I check the TPMS without moving the car. It reads the PSI at start up, not from the previous night, 31-32 PSI.

Does this means the battery doesn't run off of motion? Unless it has a Lithium battery that has a 10 year life span.

One vehicle has the TPMS light the other has independent tire pressure reading and would send text alert when the air pressure get to low.
    Well, my car is old, perhaps it works differently...maybe that's why 3 of 4 of my TPMS sensors are original after 13 years. So anyway, maybe I am misunderstanding this whole thing, if you are simply having pressure gage inaccuracy...that doesn't surprise me at all, I bet you could buy 5 of them and get a different reading on all of them. Once I bought a temperature/humidity monitor for inside with two outside sensors, so I put all 3 of them next to each other on the table, the temps were all different, but they were all within a degree or two, but the humidity, one of them was 20% different than the others (they were a few percent from each other).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, my car is old, perhaps it works differently...maybe that's why 3 of 4 of my TPMS sensors are original after 13 years. So anyway, maybe I am misunderstanding this whole thing, if you are simply having pressure gage inaccuracy...that doesn't surprise me at all, I bet you could buy 5 of them and get a different reading on all of them. Once I bought a temperature/humidity monitor for inside with two outside sensors, so I put all 3 of them next to each other on the table, the temps were all different, but they were all within a degree or two, but the humidity, one of them was 20% different than the others (they were a few percent from each other).
    The car with the individual TPMS reading is not even a year old yet. So I expected there might different technology used in your car plus different being a different year, make, model.

The part that I don't understand is, both times I check the tire pressure the outdoor temperature was +/- 5 degrees from each day and the car hasn't moved overnight with humidity about the same, but the tire pressure was 5 PSI off from each day. This is why I think my tire air pressure gauge isn't working properly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast