autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Protecting your car during servicing?

How do people protect their cars when they take them in for service? I have a black Audi S5 and recently had to take it in to have some minor body work done on it. It came back with horrific marring on the hood and above the driver side window. I was able to bring it back to its former glory (thank you Sonax Perfect Finish). However, I'm due for my regular service soon and I'm terrified of the damage they will do to my paint again. Anyone have suggestions for how to protect the paint while it's in the hands of the service shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting your car during servicing?

I think the best thing you can do is drop it off in impeccable condition so when they see it they can tell it doesn’t need to be washed or touched at all and hopefully they’re not stupid enough to attempt it. There’s also little signs that you can hang on the rear view mirror asking them to please not wash the vehicle.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I hit enter and it posted before I was finished. This isn't about them washing it. It's about their guys putting their grubby filthy hands all over my perfect paint. The service mgr knows better than to wash my car. But I never get it back without marring on the hood and around the door. I was considering putting painters tape all over the front leading edge of the hood and around the drivers side door. It would certainly make a point.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Griots sells a film you can put on with that idea in mind. If I find it in my catalog I’ll give you the name.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the things that make me want to get set up to do as much maintenance on my own as I can.. but then I remember that I’m very lazy and very tired.

I just always hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moelassus View Post
    How do people protect their cars when they take them in for service? I have a black Audi S5 and recently had to take it in to have some minor body work done on it. It came back with horrific marring on the hood and above the driver side window. I was able to bring it back to its former glory (thank you Sonax Perfect Finish). However, I'm due for my regular service soon and I'm terrified of the damage they will do to my paint again. Anyone have suggestions for how to protect the paint while it's in the hands of the service shop?
    Service or body work?

You could wrap it in plastic like they do when they paint. Cover the car once you arrive at the shop.

This is also why I refuse to own black, my OCD would give me anxiety and panic attacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I think the best thing you can do is drop it off in impeccable condition so when they see it they can tell it doesn’t need to be washed or touched at all and hopefully they’re not stupid enough to attempt it. There’s also little signs that you can hang on the rear view mirror asking them to please not wash the vehicle.
    You would be surprised how stupid people are. Perhaps unaware? Remember most cant tell the difference between a clean swirl free car and a clean swirled to hell car

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn’t find that Griots protective wrap in the catalog nor the website. I guess they don’t make it any more?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Protecting your car during servicing?

@ OP, read this article:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

Second, build a relationship with your service advisor and only see her/him. When you do explain how OCD you are. Take them out and show them your car.

When my GQ Mustang GT had to go for an airbag recall, I actually asked to meet the Service Manager. We talked for a bit and he came out to look at my car prior to any service. He could tell it was in show car condition. Now he and I and the service advisor all have a good relationship. They know me and my cars.

Relationships are hard to build, I lived in NH for 14 years and moved to AZ two years ago. So starting off right, meeting and talking with people who service your vehicle is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

tell your service advisor to pass a long the "keep my car clean of paw prints info" but if it fails maybe have a waterless wash and some good clean MF towels to clean it up proper
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast