autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting your car during servicing?

The last time I was at a dealer was for an airbag recall too.

I pretty much did the same thing. I had my do not wash hang tag and insisted the manager write that on the service slip.

Thankfully my dealer has a big window where you can watch your car being serviced. I was glued to it the whole time. My car came back without a mark on it. I will go back to the dealer if I have to.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Also doesn’t hurt to arm your vehicles up with dual channel dash cams. I run 1080p front and rear in all my cars, all hard wired with parking mode and incident detection enabled.

That way if they have to take it for a test drive, you have the footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

This...

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post

Second, build a relationship with your service advisor and only see her/him.

When you do explain how OCD you are. Take them out and show them your car.

Build that relationship and I would also point out the finish on the car. Park the car in good light and point out how nice it looks as well as defect free.

5. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, LSNAutoDetailing, moelassus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on having/building the relationship.

I've known the guys/owners of mine for about 35 years.

They know damn well how I am about my vehicles. A thumbprint or smudge is one thing, but a scratch or grease mark in the interior is quite another.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, moelassus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having worked at both a dealership and an independent repair shop, I'll chime in from the technician end.

One thing to remember is that while it's great to establish a relationship with a service writer/manager, all that person is ultimately responsible for is talking about your car. I would suggest when you talk with the up-front folks to ask if there's a technician there known for having a super clean car or for doing top shelf work (disclaimer, they don't always go hand in hand). See if you can meet them and build a relationship with them - show them your car, shoot the breeze and talk about what they do/have/use etc. Then, instead of the PITA "nut job", you're an enthusiast face with a really well cared for car. And, you'll be actually conversing with the person responsible for not wrecking your car.

So often, it seems technicians just don't know what clean is or how cars get/stay there. I've worked with many guys at the dealerships that were in no way, shape, or form car guys. It was just a job that paid. That kind of person will put no mental energy into thinking about what happens when you take a fender cover off that winter-road-filth crusted fender, fold it up, and later drag it onto the fender of the 'Geek level paint.

I would say I use fender covers (in cloth form; I hate the foam backed padded ones for grit reasons) about 2% of the time - the rest of the time I focus on approaching repairs so I'm just not making contact with paint.

I've got a coworker now that tries to care about cleaning cars, but still just doesn't get how sensitive clear is. Every time he washes the loaners, he's after them with a water blade first before finishing it with the crummy terry towels our uniform company provides. He just doesn't know any better (or see the difference).

9. Likes moelassus, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good points. I think you are correct, however I know from my experience, my service advisor was the gateway to a great tech, which I did meet because I was able to reproduce my problem, where they were not, and I had it on video, which they loved! Turned out to be bad turbo seal!

You have to at least start with the service advisor, or service manager. Plus, if you're into mod'ing like I am on my EcoBoost Mustang, then having a good service manager relationship will help for future issues that are warranty related. Turns out my advisor has a RS which he's done mods on, thus "he gets it..." which is a big deal because the ecoboost is such a mod friendly platform.

Another good idea is, if you're going to keep the car for a while, or like in my case (collect Mustangs...), you can always opt to put a full frontal of Expel/Suntek Ultra on, which has self-healing properties. Both my Mustangs have it, and both come back from the shop flawless. Worse case scenario, if the PPF is scratched up beyond the self healing repair, then it's a simple replacement. Better that then the paint at least!

11. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info Paul.

I didn't mean to completely downplay the Service Writer/Manager relationship, just meant it would be good to get them to help your car get directed to a solid technician option; and it would be good to meet the tech too.

13. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have a pretty good relationship with my Audi service manager. I will see if there is a chance that I can speak to "the guy" who will be servicing my car. I don't want to be a pain in the ass about it but it's time for new brakes so I know there will be some extremely grubby hands operating around my paint.

I found some 3M protective film that was designed for folks who race their cars. It's intended to be temporary. I thought I might buy some and put in in the places most likely to be contacted (leading edge of the hood, above the doors, around the wheel wells, top of the trunk). That way I maximize my chances.

As a post-script to my body work (which was not performed by Audi Service), I filed a complaint with them about the paint damage (including photos). I explained that I had just spent a fortune on a high-end detail job and that their shop ruined it (I didn't mention that I was the one who did the detailing). I did not expect anything except to alert them to their treatment of their customer's cars. I received a very nice call back from the owner who sincerely apologized and agreed to refund $500 of my repair. He also offered to re-polish the paint. I accepted the refund but politely declined the polish. I told him I would take it back to my detailer.

15. Likes oneheadlite, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That film may very well be the same thing Griots offers/ed. I will also look for some to have on hand.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12