autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The World is About to Change

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    after watching the video and reading few comments on youtube this product is not for car which is in good condition..if it can be polished then you dont need this product..plus only 30 day shelf life after opening the bottle..
    In that case, tell the Dr. to send me a bottle...

Post Thanks / Like

RestorFX is the product. Same application process. This one you do have to be an authorized installer. With that one if you didn’t do a correction before you applied it you could still see the scratches. This stuff was the hardest stuff I’ve ever come across. I machine sanded the whole car plus a lot more hand sanding in several areas.
    I can’t see where this product would be real effective at hiding scratches either...I could be wrong though.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Yep definitely sounds like a very similar product to RestorFX
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to chime in...

Dr. David Ghodoussi told me about a new product for neglected gel-coat that after washing/prepping the finish you would just spray this stuff on and it would make the gel-coat look new again. Don't quote me on the specfics of this product I could be wrong, working from memory
    The Gelcoat Restorer is a different product, but I'm pretty sure you're going to eventually use that in one of your boat classes. I think that product, like the Clearcoat Restorer, is a wipe-on product, rather than spray.

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    But this sounds to me like an item Optimum would set up for certified installers only. Just my guess.
    No, it's a consumer product. Which is kind of surprising considering the limited shelf life, the irritating/possibly allergic reaction fumes, and the exothermic curing which could set your applicator on fire if you don't dispose of it carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    after watching the video and reading few comments on youtube this product is not for car which is in good condition..
    Hence the name Clearcoat RESTORER.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Unfortunately it's not for failed clear (not that some of us won't try it for that). They say it's for scuffs/swirls that are too deep to polish out, or road rash, that it's a self-leveling wipe-on product that produces 5-10 microns thickness (which is about 5 times what a good coating will add). Also that it's not as hard or as chemical resistant as a coating (so you might put a coating on top of it)...but better than body shop clear(?).

Anyway, let me temper my enthusiasm from my first post...this product clearly has some drawbacks, I'm not sure if AG will even carry it because apparently it needs to be stored in the freezer, it sounds like it's pretty hazardous from a user perspective, it's $90 a bottle and only lasts a month after you open it, and only if you refrigerate/freeze it, which for some of us is not the place we want to be storing hazardous chemicals. On the other hand, it does seem for some applications it will be a miracle product that will avoid a repaint or "restore" some horrendous defects that couldn't be polished out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good remedy for a victim of a severe keying. No more painstaking touching up with a vial of paint and sanding and never getting it perfect.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Video

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, that's a different video than the one I saw. I notice they got some on the faded trim up near the headlights and it was all shiny...I wonder if people are going use Solution Finish on trim and top it with this product to seal it in (of course there is a Optimum trim product that is pro-only).

As was mentioned earlier in the thread...this does seem like a product they would make pro-only, partly because of the "spontaneous combustion" mentioned, and with the emphasis on respiratory protection it sounds like an isocyanate product (like 2K clear), and also because, even more than coatings, this seems like a product that would drive business to "authorized installers". If any Joe can buy it, why take my horrendously swirled car to a pro detailer to have it polished and coated when I can just fill in the swirls in my driveway?

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting product. $90 doesn't sound that outrageous when considering what some coatings and other boutique wax-car care products sold cost.

I'm sure like myself, there's many who have a multitude of questions about this product, one of mine would be just how well this product would work to hide and fill minor key scratches.

And others such as first substituting-using this versus a coating on an older paint, (like my '97 Tahoe for instance which has fairly decent paint considering its age) then perhaps following with a coating which may have better hydrophobic properties, etc.

Other questions of course might be to what degree does the paint has to be prepped? I'd assume similarly to applying a durable coating (CP Eraser-panel prep-etc) That no waxes-sealants can be present upon the paint, otherwise failed bonding would occur?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Other questions of course might be to what degree does the paint has to be prepped? I'd assume similarly to applying a durable coating (CP Eraser-panel prep-etc) That no waxes-sealants can be present upon the paint, otherwise failed bonding would occur?
    They actually suggest Hyper Compound on a wool pad to give the coating something to bite into, I guess kind of like a scuff before painting.

Post Thanks / Like

What was interesting in the video Guz shared if I got it right that is a SS paint. It was dried up and cracked so could this be a new extreme version of the Meguiars #7 rubb down? But it seems to be a very hazardious product to be offered to average Joe. The application though seemed straight forward. I would maybe do a lot of masking tape so you don't get it on to trim and rubber and decals.

Would be intresting to see what it could do on something like Eldorado hood. Even if maybe not advised to. But they used it on the SS paint in the video. So why not on a clearcoat failure. Maybe you would need some more layers to build up the thickness over the where there is only basecoat left.

Cool new product. Kamikaze has their sacrificial clearcoat which looks like a simualar product. Otherwise this is a new option to save paints on certain vehicals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast