autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question CG's Citrus Wash...does it strip LSP's?

So last Friday night I did my usual pre-wash foam using the IK Foam 9 and used 2 ounces of CG's Citrus wash, let it dwell and went to rinse it off and guess what....every panel, except my glass sunroof, had no beading, just flat. This inspired me to apply 2x's Meguiar's Ceramic Hybrid Wax (had to try it eventually on paint) after the 2BM, when the car was wet, then apply a coat on the dried car. So, has anyone experienced this, thanks inadvance.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CG's Citrus Wash...does it strip LSP's?

We were talking about this in another thread...I guess I'm going to have to find the thread where Swanic coated a mirror with various sealants, then washed it with various shampoos and APC's, which "removed" the sealant because the beading was gone. Then he cleaned the mirror with IPA and voila, the beading returned. As confirmed by our resident chemist at the time, PiPUK, the surfactants "clog" the sealant, killing the beading. So all that Dawn stripping was...um..BS.

Blew my mind because of all the "testing" people have done after they "stripped" their paint with Dawn or various CG "stripping washes" etc., only to find that they were testing their new LSP over a base of their previous sealant + Dawn residue. I'll find the thread.

3. Thanks Klasse Act, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope these are the threads:

Is It Possible to Chemically Strip Sealants?

Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD

Unfortunately those don't seem to be the ones where PiPUK gave us his wisdom...I'll keep looking. Ah...here we go:

LSP stripping

Oh, and PS, I have had the same thing happen to me--years and years ago impulse bought a bottle of Black Magic wash while I was in the checkout line at Pep Boys...washed my freshly LSP'd car with it--beading completely gone, so I rewaxed. Later realized that this wash had some sort of sheeting additive in it to help with drying...anyway, used the rest of it to wash the siding on the house...

5. Likes Loach, PaulMys, KBsToy, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which CG Citrus Wash are you working with? I ran some testing with a 2oz to 1 gallon dilution of Citrus Wash & Gloss which is a pretty heavy soap. Put fresh Zymol Glasur and Pete’s 53 side by side and did a consecutive “strip wash” test against heavy dilutions of everything - Turtle Wax Max Power, followed up with Purple Power Vehicle & Boat Wash, Adam’s Strip Wash, CG Clean Slate and finally Citrus Wash & Gloss. Both waxes held up really well, CW&G was by far the heaviest soap and I could tell the rinse wasn’t removing all the surfactants left behind. I sprayed Duplicolor Grease & Wax Remover on top after CW&G, and instead of removing the wax it actually boosted both waxes back up a notch, removing the leftover surfactants from everything prior especially CW&G. I can see this soap doing some good masking if you’ve got something that’s been aging on the paint.

7. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the product in question. I've never used a soap that's done this, so I'm thinking this will be my "strip" wash unless you guys enlighten me here, thanksCG's Citrus Wash...does it strip LSP's?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of soaps and shampoos claim to strip LSP’s.
    A lot of LSPs claim to be chemical resistant.

For me, if I want a LSP removed, I rely on at least a paintwork cleanser such as P21S or Pinnacle (for 2 examples). Polishing/compounding will also remove whatever is on the paint.

I have seen too many shampoos and so called strippers just temporarily diminish beading only to have it return over time which means it’s not actually stripping away the protection.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the only chemical way to strip LSPs is to use something like a three step wash such as the ABC system. Maybe after using the acid and alkaline the LSP ought to be gone.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

•It may have the ability to strip the remnants
    of a 4-6 week old Wax job that was done on
    a Daily Driver.
    (Then again, using the above scenario: many car
    wash shampoos would probably perform similarly.)

-On the other hand:
    Sealants and Coatings? Not so much.
    (Keep in mind the above example of nearing
    the end of their expected life-cycles.)

•“Best Practice”, (IMO):
    -Performing an abrasive step (Compound/Polishing)
    will guarantee that an LSP has been totally removed.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes PaulMys, VitreousHumor, Zoxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Here's the product in question. I've never used a soap that's done this, so I'm thinking this will be my "strip" wash unless you guys enlighten me here, thanksCG's Citrus Wash...does it strip LSP's?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've never used it but I've read that it's pretty aggressive. I just bought a bottle today at the local Wally world

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

CG's Citrus Wash...does it strip LSP's?

I doubt it’s capable of stripping anything.

I’m pretty particular about what I wash with because I don’t like “topping” or touching my car more than I have to after a wash. So I’m, more than I’d like to be, acutely aware of any differences in beading pre and post wash.

This is the same reason I stopped using quite a few OTC car soaps, and the reason I really enjoy hyper wash or any other soap (sure haven’t tried them all, but I know what I look for in them) that doesn’t put the ridiculous wax or gloss enhancers into the formula.

I’ve found hyper wash and optimum car wash do a great job. ONR and Wolfgang Uber Rinseless have pretty much no effect on beading. I do need to mix up this sample of n914 I have to see how I like that compared to ONR and WGURW. I’d also like to try the new griots rinseless.. 64oz is a good size.

Anyways, that was a tangent. I think the only product on the market that’s meant to strip I’ve seen anything promising for has been Poorboy’s World Strip Down Wax Stripper. Loach has a video on it, and Ive been patiently waiting for him to make a follow up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast