autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

"Let's go places"...yeah, like back to the drawing board
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    One word:

PASS
    Said the Q6 red sport to the BMW Supra.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how people bash a car without seeing it in person and even writing it off without driving it. Although I would not buy one and the looks are subjective...I would rather drive the new Supra than a Mini, Focus, Escape, and probably 80% of cars on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    I like how people bash a car without seeing it in person and even writing it off without driving it. Although I would not buy one and the looks are subjective...I would rather drive the new Supra than a Mini, Focus, Escape, and probably 80% of cars on the road.
    I'll see it inperson tomorrow and come back here with another take. That said, for $50K, I'm buying a Stinger GT AWD or maybe a used M2, at least the M2 says and shows what it really is. The Supra looks like an 86 except that door treatment which I think looks pretty cool, there, I said something good about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

7. Likes Ace22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    My guess is they did it this way to minimize their development / investment costs.
    This is exactly why they had a partnership and the same reason Toyota partnered with Subaru for the BRZ/86 twins and Fiat and Mazda teamed up with the Miata/124 platform.

Sports cars, or any real performance car these days, have VERY small margins once R&D and manufacturing costs are considered. Many manufactures bearly break even because the vehicles are expensive to develop, but sell in very small numbers. Considering the US market's afinity for huge bloated SUV's and trucks, this will only get worse. If any car maker wants to sell a performance car and not loose a ton of money on the effort they have to partner with someone.

The only reason Porsche, BMW, and some other makers still offer sports cars is because sales of things like the X5, Cayanne, Macan, and X3 sell in large enough numbers they can put the money into car development. Sad world auto enthusiasts live in today.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen the M8 concept?

It has the same rear end of the Supra. Seems like the collaboration between BMW and Toyota is a little more than just the Supra and Z4 powerplants.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post

It has the same rear end of the Supra. Seems like the collaboration between BMW and Toyota is a little more than just the Supra and Z4 powerplants.

Just incase no one has seen it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I wouldn't call it just hate, more like extreme disappointment. You have the MKIV which is legendary, and when it was discontinued back in 2002 people always hoped that an MKV would become a reality and what that would mean to the Supra name. You had an amazing engine, easily holding 800+ HP on a stock bottom end and a bullet proof transmission capable of holding 1,700+ HP stock. The styling still draws crowds today and the value has only gone up. The interior, suspension and brakes were over engineered and ahead of its time.

When the FT1 was first introduced, the look was under scrutiny but anticipation of the motor and tranny brought hope that it would be as dominating a car as it was 25 years ago. The aftermarket mods alone made it an instant hit since it was so easy to make big power.

After all the waiting, we basically got a Z4 with an FRS/BRZ body. Most don't care if the car is made or not, the problem is with calling it a Supra. Toyota is largely seen as selling out by using BMW motor and tranny, and suspension I believe, and just a Toyota body. It's definitely not geared towards current and former Supra owners and fans, but the mass potential mass market of a new Z4/FRS fanbase.

The MKIV improved upon the MKIII is every way, and it was thought the MKV would do the same, but that isn't the case.
    Interesting thoughts. I guess that's where my automotive perspective differs. I couldn't care less about tuning the engine within an inch of it's life and am actually looking for a light, quick, corner carver for tight ozark roads, autocross, and track days. A 1700hp Supra would not be a good choice in those situations.

As for looks, the fourth generation Supra never did it for me. I respected the performance, but I always liked the styling of the second and third generation better.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'll see it inperson tomorrow and come back here with another take. That said, for $50K, I'm buying a Stinger GT AWD or maybe a used M2, at least the M2 says and shows what it really is. The Supra looks like an 86 except that door treatment which I think looks pretty cool, there, I said something good about it.
    Supra vs Stinger? Kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Other than price overlap I don't think they anything in common. The Stinger holds a strange place in my mind right now. I love the fact you can get a high HP RWD hatch-back sedan that looks pretty good. However the rear seats seem really tight when I tried to sit behind myself (and I'm only 5'9") and the reviews seem to elude to the fact the suspension is tuned a little softer than I'd like. Other than that there is no denying it's a well build vehicle.

A used M2 is on my personal short list too; right there with a used Cayman and now the Supra. The only thing which gives me a little concern about the M2 is it's weight. For any pre-2019 M2, it weighs 3600 lbs. That's nearly 300lbs heavier than the Supra and 600 lbs more than the Cayman! I'm really hoping you don't feel the weight. I need to test one out, but they are REALLY rare around here and I haven't seen one one in person in over two years!

12. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post

From published interviews with BMW and Toyota, they quit talking to each other in 2014 to keep from there being any design cross-polination beyond the agreed upon common elements. The back ends do look rather similar.

14. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    It’s not the the looks for me personally. Doesn’t look bad. If a mustang used a Japanese turbo 6 from Honda or BMW started using Hyundai parts, the purist of those cars would be super upset too. You see it as a new car coming out with great parts and new design. Most would if it wasn’t a Supra. It’s like you love chick filet and went their and they were serving only burgers. Some would be like “these burgers are good! Others would be like dang it! If I wanted a burger I woulda went to F’ing Burger King! Most who are upset, disgusted, angry grew up with a place in their heart for the MKIV and JDM cars. IF I wanted a BMW Z4 I would by one.... it’s just all perspective, what does the “Supra” means to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast