autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Supra

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    It's just another over-priced, under performing car IMHO.
    I'm trying to be as fair as possible here, despite my opening salvo, but I don't think the car is either over priced or under performing, it's got the goods and power to weight ratio...it just doesn't have the correct name or DNA that its birth certificate says, that's all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For $50k+, I'd want at least 400 horsepower out of a "sports car".
    2005 Dodge SRT4 400whp/480wtq | 2015 Nissan Frontier (daily driver) Both are corrected and coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 by me
    I detail out of my garage as a side job on the weekends and do about 6-8 cars per month.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s that old adage; oh yeah:
    "Success begets further success”

In this case further amounted to just
    a little over 25 years; and an additional
    $30,000, or so.

[“Progress” has numerous meanings.]

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well, atleast in the Fiat124/Miata situation the Fiat has an Italian heart and doesn't share a single body panel. As far as not looking at any Fiat in general, couldn't agree more, total POS! I mean could you imagine driving one of those things through a brutal midwest winter, you'd never get to work, crazy!

Love the sarcasm! Seriously, though how does you Abarth hold up with all the snow. I know you run winter tires, but is clearance an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Why make new switch gear though, I mean when I put a window down I just care about it going down, not that it shares a switch with a Jeep product. The average person driving those don't even know the diff and don't care.

For me, it's the quality of the materials. If that switch gear was in another vehicle of a similar price point I wouldn't think anything of it and totally agree with you. But when you put the same switch gear in a vehicle which costs over $100K it looks REALLY out of place. When complared to the quality of the materials being used in it's competitors at BMW, Audi, Porsche, they look really out of place and rather low-rent.

I don't think it's all about the power when you're talking sports cars. Being light and well balanced is just as important, if not moreso. A Cayman is one of the best driving sports cars on the road by all counts and the hp on the current 718 generations range from 300 to 365. In a 3100 lb car that's really quick in a car with fantastic handling abilities. A Lotus Elise is another good example. It weighs only 2000 lbs with hp around 200 hp and is properly quick as well. The new Supra will be 3400 lbs (the same as my mk6 GTI). The BMW B58 engine they are using, in true German fashion, is know to be underrated and is often putting out around 350~360hp in reality. Not that far off your 400hp figure and in a car of that weight it should be plenty powerful enough to perform well beyond the skill of 90% of it's owners.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering the 1998 base turbo was $40,000 and pushing $50,000 in some cases and it's 20 years later and this is a way more advanced vehicle it's a bargain when adjusting for 20 years of inflation.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes Klasse Act, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    What’s that old adage; oh yeah:
    "Success begets further success”

In this case further amounted to just
    a little over 25 years; and an additional
    $30,000, or so.

[“Progress” has numerous meanings.]

Bob
    See my above post Bob, Turbo Supra was a $40,000 plus vehicle 20 years ago. It priced itself out of the market so the market died. So did the 300Z and hence why it's sales plummeted and it was discontinued. Fortunately for many Nissan decided to get back into the market with the 350Z. It will be interesting to see based upon the Supra being back if they finally update the 370Z.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Love the sarcasm! Seriously, though how does you Abarth hold up with all the snow. I know you run winter tires, but is clearance an issue?

For me, it's the quality of the materials. If that switch gear was in another vehicle of a similar price point I wouldn't think anything of it and totally agree with you. But when you put the same switch gear in a vehicle which costs over $100K it looks REALLY out of place. When complared to the quality of the materials being used in it's competitors at BMW, Audi, Porsche, they look really out of place and rather low-rent.

I don't think it's all about the power when you're talking sports cars. Being light and well balanced is just as important, if not moreso. A Cayman is one of the best driving sports cars on the road by all counts and the hp on the current 718 generations range from 300 to 365. In a 3100 lb car that's really quick in a car with fantastic handling abilities. A Lotus Elise is another good example. It weighs only 2000 lbs with hp around 200 hp and is properly quick as well. The new Supra will be 3400 lbs (the same as my mk6 GTI). The BMW B58 engine they are using, in true German fashion, is know to be underrated and is often putting out around 350~360hp in reality. Not that far off your 400hp figure and in a car of that weight it should be plenty powerful enough to perform well beyond the skill of 90% of it's owners.
    I've drove the car this morning and when I got to work I shoveled snow around my van and there was easily 7" of snow, so it gets through it, wouldn't mind being able to raise it up about 3 inches though, LOL, I mean I should right, it is a toy, LOL. Having Blizzaks, 3 pedals and turning off the traction control makes all the difference in the world, plus I'm CPT SLOW, a double meaning for my car and I. I drive for a living and I just "Take it easy", no "Life in the fast lane" for me, LOL.

As far as the switch gear goes, I hear yah but is there really a difference in quality of button, as far as looks and feel? Then again I've never owned a high end car, unless you consider a 1993 Park Avenue Ultra in 1998 a "High end" car, LOL.

DMW, I respect your opinion and I hear yah but not all sports cars "need" 400 hp but a new Miata with a turbo kit making 300 hp might change your mind but that would be aftermarket and I guess we're comparing apples and oranges at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

The MKIV Supra was decades ahead of it's time, that's what you got with the Toyota engineering. Bullet proof stock block that holds 850hp on stock internals, Getrag 6spd that holds 1,700hp unmodified, and tops in the braking department. They stopped importing them after 1998 because of increasing smog regulations, but continued to produce them for the rest of the world until 2002. The same happened with other super cars of the 90's, the RX7, 300ZX, and 3000GT. Still today it's one of the baddest and most desirable cars out there and it's market value is still going up.

13. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, one just sold for $121K on BAT!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed... starting at 52k you could get a true Japanese sports car in the q60 red sport. Twin turbo’d and pushing out near 400HP. Could get a nice 370z for 10k less with same horse power. But Nissan gets its core consumer. It’s why the bring cars out like the GTR. Toyota just missed the mark. I love beemers (not the z tho) and love Japanese tuner cars. Just want them separate. The got a 400HP V8 sittin In the IS-F the coulda used but came out with this contraption. You can get a better car from Nissan (Infiniti) for same price or for 10k more get a better car from either Toyota (Lexus) or BMW in the IS-F or M3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast